• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Force

BadgerTrapper

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello people, I am looking into a career in the Military; possibly Armored Recon. However I've gotta start somewhere, I would like to join a Reserve force. Two of the local Reserves are A Squadron, 8th Canadian Hussars and 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders. I was wondering if anyone possibly belongs to either of the previously mentioned, and if they can offer insight as to how the Training works, PT etc. Also, I was wondering if someone could answer a question regarding travel expenses? Will a Reserve send a bus to a neighboring town to pick up people? (I know this post is very loosely related to training, for that I apologize but I could not find an appropriate thread.) Thanks, Everybody- Patrick

Some information, I turn 17 mid-summer. Hence why I'm trying to find this out now.

Thank you for the very non-productive post which accomplished nothing. Thanks for trying anyway! ;D

BadgerTrapper said:
Hello people, I am looking into a career in the Military; possibly Armored Recon. However I've gotta start somewhere, I would like to join a Reserve force. Two of the local Reserves are A Squadron, 8th Canadian Hussars and 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders. I was wondering if anyone possibly belongs to either of the previously mentioned, and if they can offer insight as to how the Training works, PT etc. Also, I was wondering if someone could answer a question regarding travel expenses? Will a Reserve send a bus to a neighboring town to pick up people? (I know this post is very loosely related to training, for that I apologize but I could not find an appropriate thread.) Thanks, Everybody- Patrick

Some information, I turn 17 mid-summer. Hence why I'm trying to find this out now.

A search of the site will turn up a lot of useful information for someone in your situation.  A lot of the usual first questions have been answered before.

Reserve training is normally one evening a week, and some weekends, with longer periods in the summer.  I understand that most army reserve units run their basic military qualification (BMQ) mainly on weekends during the school year.  A lot of reservists are students so reserve training tends to be scheduled around school breaks etc.

It's not unheard of for a reserve unit to provide a bus to bring members from another town.  For example, several units in Saint John used to (and perhaps still do) arrange a bus from Fredericton for some of their members.  I don't know if the units you're looking at do that or not.

Correct terminology is important here and in the Forces, so I'll give you a leg up by mentioning that "recon" is an American term.  We use "recce" in Canada.

Thank you very much, I apologize for the "Recce" incident. There are just so many Acronyms and so much slang here that it's a learning curve in itself. I could easily get a drive to Sackville, New Brunswick. Kind of a midway point between either of those units, now all I need to find out is if they offer transport. Thanks, N.McKay.

This is a start for you on the slang: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Canadian_English_military_slang

To be fair though, it is lacking some of the more official TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms)

Back