• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP) [MERGED]

CanadianCorps

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day one and all.

My name is Eric Dalshaug, and I would like to attend RMC. Specificially, i'd like to become an officer in the army component of the Primary Reserve. Why the Reserve? Two reasons, really.

1. I'm a very politically opinionated person, and being ordered to go to some war I don't agree with, to do things that i'd condemn in any other circumstances, would not sit well with my conscience. The Reserve offers the prospect of voluntary overseas deployment. If there is a conflict I feel strongly about, I can go and serve my country, and if there is a conflict in which I want no part of, I can stay. Perhaps that is cowardice, but that is how it is for me.

2. I have other dreams outside of the Service. I want to be a high school English and History teacher, as well as a reserve officer.

Now, I've look at the RMC website. It said something like... 15 RETP cadets are admitted every year. What i'd like to ask for here is any advice or information you good people can give me on getting into RETP at the Royal Military College. I have decent marks, generally in the 70s, with 80s for classes I'm good at, and 60s in classes that I don't do so well. I'm also in Air Cadets, and I participate in a lot of extracurricular activities through Air Cadets, most notably the Range team, Drill team, curling team, and ground school, as well as an instructor for younger, less experienced Cadets. Of high school, I have about a year and a half (the remainder of this year + Grade 12) to finish before I apply for RMC. So, how can I improve chances of being one of those 15 RETP cadets? Though, if that 15 cadets thing is inaccurate, please do tell.

Cheers,
Eric Dalshaug  :salute:

CanadianCorps said:
1. I'm a very politically opinionated person, and being ordered to go to some war I don't agree with, to do things that i'd condemn in any other circumstances, would not sit well with my conscience. The Reserve offers the prospect of voluntary overseas deployment. If there is a conflict I feel strongly about, I can go and serve my country, and if there is a conflict in which I want no part of, I can stay. Perhaps that is cowardice, but that is how it is for me.

Seek life elsewhere....please.

Perhaps that was badly phrased of me... I have nothing but respect for the soldiers, I don't like the reasons that the politicians send them though. Love the soldiers, hate the war sort of thing. I understand that, as a member of the military, I would not be able to speak out on what I believe. I can take that. In the Forces, I'd want to serve my country, not further some oil baron's ambitions. And that's all I will say, else I may get to ranting and some political argument is sure to ensue, and that is not the purpose of this topic.

CanadianCorps said:
Perhaps that was badly phrased of me... I have nothing but respect for the soldiers, I don't like the reasons that the politicians send them though. Love the soldiers, hate the war sort of thing. I understand that, as a member of the military, I would not be able to speak out on what I believe. I can take that. In the Forces, I'd want to serve my country, not further some oil baron's ambitions. And that's all I will say, else I may get to ranting and some political argument is sure to ensue, and that is not the purpose of this topic.

Your lack of understanding about what we are doing just helps cement the view that you should not apply.

As to point number 2, your marks would need to be much higher to even be considered as an ROTP.  Now, imagine competing for 1 of 15 spots as opposed to 1 of 250+ for the Reg positions.  I had an 89 in calculus and was told I should take the class again -- even though I was pulling over 12 hrs in volunteering, sports, and a part time job/week.

CanadianCorps said:

Thank you for confirming my initial evaluation of your post.

Thank you for you interest in the CF, i hope you find suitable employment somehwere else.

CDN Aviator said:
Thank you for confirming my initial evaluation of your post.

Thank you for you interest in the CF, i hope you find suitable employment somehwere else.

Agreed - I already don't want to serve with you, thanks.

I suggest you try an NGO if you're so dead-set against serving an inherently political master you apparently do not agree with, nor understand.

Have a good jump.

Political opinions, beliefs aside - I can state with authority that if the marks you have given are true you will have difficulty getting accepted into RMC or ROTP at Civvie U.  For RMC the recruiters are looking for someone with strong academics in the mid-80s.  It also depends on the person and what else they bring to the table.  For example, someone with a 90+ average but has not shown any leadership potential (student council, community events, etc), military aptitude (Cadet leadership position, reserve time) or athletics of any sort will have a much lower chance than someone who has something in 3 or all 4 of these areas.  As a real life example, as a reserve officer I helped get one of my soldiers into RMC.  This soldier had high 70 averages across the board, master warrant officer in cadets, was on the grad committee and was a private in the reserves.  Despite all this - because the grades were considered marginal - this soldier was first wait-listed and then offered a year at the prep school before going to RMC.

The best source of information for RMC and the RETP program is the recruiting centre.  They will tell you RMC is extremely competitive to get into given its benefits, especially these days: pay, full tuition, medical, dental, a guaranteed job after grudation and your time there as a student counts towards your pension.  

Good luck.

CanadianCorps said:
Good day one and all.

My name is Eric Dalshaug, and I would like to attend RMC. Specificially, i'd like to become an officer in the army component of the Primary Reserve. Why the Reserve? Two reasons, really.

2. I have other dreams outside of the Service. I want to be a high school English and History teacher, as well as a reserve officer.

Now, I've look at the RMC website. It said something like... 15 RETP cadets are admitted every year. What i'd like to ask for here is any advice or information you good people can give me on getting into RETP at the Royal Military College. I have decent marks, generally in the 70s, with 80s for classes I'm good at, and 60s in classes that I don't do so well. I'm also in Air Cadets, and I participate in a lot of extracurricular activities through Air Cadets, most notably the Range team, Drill team, curling team, and ground school, as well as an instructor for younger, less experienced Cadets. Of high school, I have about a year and a half (the remainder of this year + Grade 12) to finish before I apply for RMC. So, how can I improve chances of being one of those 15 RETP cadets? Though, if that 15 cadets thing is inaccurate, please do tell.

Cheers,

Well!  That sure was a FALSE START.  I suggest you do a heck of a lot more research, perhaps a change of attitude, and I would guess meet the basic criteria for the Program that you want.  You, so far, are saddly lacking on several fronts.

Strike said:
Your lack of understanding about what we are doing just helps cement the view that you should not apply.

As to point number 2, your marks would need to be much higher to even be considered as an ROTP.  Now, imagine competing for 1 of 15 spots as opposed to 1 of 250+ for the Reg positions.  I had an 89 in calculus and was told I should take the class again -- even though I was pulling over 12 hrs in volunteering, sports, and a part time job/week.

Was this at a stricter time? My friend got in with a 85-95average, no work or any other nonschool experience. And my marks (all 85-95 except Math and physics at 75 area. All g12 being like 87-88% avrg.) the recruiter said sounded competitive.

But like others say it depends on how good the OTHERS are. Right?

Apologies for trolling.

Marshall said:
Was this at a stricter time? My friend got in with a 85-95average, no work or any other nonschool experience. And my marks (all 85-95 except Math and physics at 75 area. All g12 being like 87-88% avrg.) the recruiter said sounded competitive.

But like others say it depends on how good the OTHERS are. Right?

Apologies for trolling.

That's not trolling.  No worries.

I know that occasionally those with the wicked-high marks and no extra-curricular stuff have gotten in the the college.  Remains to be seen how they will do over 4 years.  All the people in my year were fairly well rounded in that respect.

CanadianCorps said:
1. I'm a very politically opinionated person, ..........
Yeah... so am I. But I understand my obligations as a member of the CF.
If you join, you will take everything you can, but give only when you choose to do so; sounds like a relationship with a parasite.

Please do everyone a favour and find another line of work.

Strike said:
That's not trolling.  No worries.

I know that occasionally those with the wicked-high marks and no extra-curricular stuff have gotten in the the college.  Remains to be seen how they will do over 4 years.  All the people in my year were fairly well rounded in that respect.

Oh so you got in? I was under the impression they rejected you. Thats good then. And I seem to attack anyone related to RMC with questions haha.. paranoid myself if ill get in. Long wait now.. (my app is finalized). I got decently high average, my math brought it down because I was an idiot and did not take it seriously. But hoping my 2ish years of work and such will help me out :D (now returning to topic....  :p)

CanadianCorps said:
Good day one and all.

Cheers,

Sorry Original Poster, but as some of the others have said I too would probably not want to be around such a soldier as you described yourself. People may have their own views on the wars but to me you seem not to know a whole too much.. Most people that do not agree with it usually do not know a whole lot about it.

If you put that type of explanation in the "why I want to join RMC" in the (if there is one, like ROTP) RETP Questionnaire they would probably cut you off right then and there.

twistedcables said:
Still in high school ?  Learn now: if the truth hurts - don't speak it.

I'd prefer that he learn the truth as opposed to believing the lies that have been propagated by those who have no love for the military or helping countries that hold a belief standard unlike the western norm.

Going to be honest, I wouldn't want to serve with you if you aren't capable of putting mission above all. Its the principle of it. If your head isn't in the right place, and you've shown its not, people could die.

Simple really.

CanadianCorps said:

Try looking for an Airsoft club.  That may be what you are actually looking for.

CanadianCorps said:
Good day one and all.

I think you should go back to playing HALO or go follow Infanteer's suggestion.

I think the original poster has been offered enough food for thought that we don't need to continue with an endless stream of similar posts and their inevitable tangents.

Locked with the usual caveats: if you have something useful and original to add, contact a Moderator.

Milnet.ca Staf

The following was provided by Lumber with a request to be added to this thread:

In the Topic: "RETP at the Royal Military College? Advice/Information?", Striker says:

He is referring to grades in the 70s, on average. Now, Striker is 14 years in, so maybe in his days his advice would have merit. However, many of my fellow cadets whom I've had a chance to talk with about their application had marks in the 70s and we're still accepted. Most of these people, from what I can remember, are those with well rounded applications, being heavily into cadets, the reserves or school sports.

In any case, I think Striker's comment is inaccurate, and while the applicant could certainly benefit in competitiveness if he were to increase his average, he is certainly not out of the game. He will be "considered as an ROTP."

I was hoping that this could be added to the thread, as the one reply to Striker by Marshall talked only of those with extremely high marks and no extra-curricular, and not those with lower marks and lots of extra-curricular.

Thanks for your time.

I might also point out that the Reserve Entry Training Plan is a Plan for Reservists.  It is not a plan for someone who wants to join the Reserves.  One has to be a member of the Reserves first in order to apply for RETP and they will be paid at the rank level they have attained.  On graduation they will receive a Commission.  It also entails a commitment to serve five years in the Reserves after graduation.

Back