• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP) [MERGED]

I have been informed by an authority that some of the information we have passed on in this thread have been misconceptions and incorrect.

For those interested in the Reserve Entry Training Plan, you can visit this link for CFAO 9-49 and read up on it.  Although this is posted, be aware that amendments may have been made to update this information, and you can get that information from the CFRC.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/009-49_e.asp

Hey, I'm in grade 10 and I am considering applying to RMC with the RETP program after high school. I have a couple questions about it which I haven't been able to find through searching the web/RMC site/these forums. The reason I don't want to enroll in ROTP is because 5 years of commitment doesn't make sense for me, because if I were to get accepted into it, it would be a 9 year commitment, which I don't think I would be able to take at that point in my life. If this is not the case could someone clear it up for me? (ie. the 5 years doesn't have to be right after you graduate, or it could be broken up or something like that.)

About RETP, I have been reading that in this program you will train in the summer months. Is this every year, or only your first year? Also, how long does this training last? Is it for the whole summer?

Second question about RETP is what would it mean to graduate from it? On the RMC site it says "you will be commissioned as an officer in the Reserve Force and be expected to join a primary unit on graduation from RMC. " but I have also read posts somewhere where someone said after RETP you are free to do as you like.

I really appreciate any help on clearing these issues up. Thanks in advance.

Training is every summer as far as I know and it is pretty much the whole summer long. I think you get a couple of weeks of summer vacation, either between courses or before the school year starts. You do the exact same schedule (again as far as I know) as those in ROTP.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to go RETP, then you will have to pay for tuition, textbooks and stuff, whereas with ROTP you don't.

With ROTP your unlimited liability essentially begins when you are sworn in and ends when you release. On completion on school, you will be posted to a unit or school at which point you'll begin working off your mandatory service (which I believe is 2 months work:1 month of education).

If you are looking for a commitment free education, I think you can attend RMC as a civilian student.

If your looking for a "tax payer funded" education with out any commitment you are out of luck. And RETP is funded by yourself as you must already know.
Also if I may ask, as I am somewhat confused, you seam to want to go to RMC but aren't to keen on the military service, so why not just go to a civilian University? Depending on where you live that may be a cheaper option for your self

I'm aware of the costs of RETP, and I do easily have cheaper options, but I'm not worry about money right now.

It's not that I'm not keen on military service, but its likely that I won't want to be doing the same thing when I'm 25 as I want now. As well, I'm only exploring RMC as an option right now, just trying to get a head start on whats going to happen after high school.

And thank you for clearing up my first question, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know anything about my other question?

Second question about RETP is what would it mean to graduate from it? On the RMC site it says "you will be commissioned as an officer in the Reserve Force and be expected to join a primary unit on graduation from RMC. " but I have also read posts somewhere where someone said after RETP you are free to do as you like.

thomf said:
On the RMC site it says "you will be commissioned as an officer in the Reserve Force and be expected to join a primary unit on graduation from RMC."
It is an "expectation," in that RETP candidates tend to have an interest in Reserve military service. There is no obligatory service incurred, however, so you are free to do whatever you wish after graduation

....including putting "2Lt (ret'd)" on your business cards (and claiming to be a defence expert, like another retired 2Lt that the media loves  ;)  ).

Journeyman said:
....including putting "2Lt (ret'd)" on your business cards (and claiming to be a defence expert, like another retired 2Lt that the media loves  ;)  ).

Looks better than Cpl (ret'd).  They both have the same cred here.

thomf said:
And thank you for clearing up my first question, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know anything about my other question?

Yes.

I have a couple of friends who were RETP students at RMC - one stayed in the PRes after school and continues to serve a few years later.  One graduated with an engineering degree and in the engineer trade (or EME, maybe it was?) and released shortly after finishing university because her civilian career path took her to a remote area with no unit for her to join.

The idea of going through RETP is just like anyone joining a Reserve unit.  The CF will invest a great deal of money in training them, and ideally wants to select people for that training who will put it to use in the service.  That said, like any reservist there's no commitment.

That said, I don't really "get" why anyone would choose RETP - all of the "fun" of RMC - and you have to pay for the "privilege"?  I get ROTP, the tradeoff of getting your education paid for - but someone who just wants to get a university degree and join the Reserve is probably better off going to a civilian university.  You'll earn a fair bit of money toward your tuition, and not deal with the additional "cultural activities" of RMC.

Ok, I see, thanks guys.

I'm not even sure if I'll apply for RETP, just exploring all my available options, who knows, maybe in two years when I'm applying I'll want to check the ROTP box. I think RETP would be a good experience, without the commitment of ROTP, but from what I can tell, not joining the reserves after graduation would be "frowned upon"/not a good choice.

From my experience here, most people who signed up RETP are now trying to switch to ROTP. Take that for what its worth.

Ok, thanks, I will think about it.

One question about ROTP then, after graduating, would it not be possible to pursue a higher level of education until after the 5 years are served?

thomf said:
Ok, thanks, I will think about it.

One question about ROTP then, after graduating, would it not be possible to pursue a higher level of education until after the 5 years are served?

Paid education incurs obligatory service.  So, going on to do a Masters in Basket Weaving (2 year program) would add two years to the time you would have to serve.

If you're looking for a way to scam the system and not contribute to the CF, please don't bother to apply.

Ok, thats good to know, thanks.

I'm not looking for a way to scam the system, I'm trying to find out what I want to be doing for the next chunk of my life, and want to find a way to work the system into it, as I am interested in contributing to the CF. This is in addition to other interests too though, which is why I'm trying to figure stuff out early, and learn about all the options I have.

Just to start off I did try searching the forums for an answer first but couldn't find one that spoke to my situation.

I've joined the Canadian Forces as a Private in the Primary Reserve but I was told that an individual could start on the road to become an officer even if they were midway through a university degree. I did some searching around and figured that they were referring to the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), am I still eligible for this even though I'm already enrolled as a NCM, or do I have to take a different route to becoming an officer?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I failed to find it.

Laddy said:
Just to start off I did try searching the forums for an answer first but couldn't find one that spoke to my situation.

I've joined the Canadian Forces as a Private in the Primary Reserve but I was told that an individual could start on the road to become an officer even if they were midway through a university degree. I did some searching around and figured that they were referring to the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), am I still eligible for this even though I'm already enrolled as a NCM, or do I have to take a different route to becoming an officer?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I failed to find it.

You are eligible.  Whether or not you are accepted will be up to your Leadership at your unit.  Have you approached them about this?  Are there even positions in your unit for another officer? 

If the answer is "YES" to both those questions, then they will handle it.  You will have to face a "Selection Board" where you and any other candidates will be interviewed and the best candidate(s) selected.

George Wallace said:
You are eligible.  Whether or not you are accepted will be up to your Leadership at your unit.  Have you approached them about this?  Are there even positions in your unit for another officer? 

If the answer is "YES" to both those questions, then they will handle it.  You will have to face a "Selection Board" where you and any other candidates will be interviewed and the best candidate(s) selected.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will start approaching my CoC about this, I just needed clarification that I was understanding the RETP correctly.

Laddy said:
Thank you for the quick reply, I will start approaching my CoC about this, I just needed clarification that I was understanding the RETP correctly.

Actually, I don't think you are understanding the terminology correctly.

RETP is the same as ROTP but you would be attending RMC but assigned to the MILPERSCOM PRL as a Reservist while doing so.

As you have indicated that you are already a member of the PRes as an NCM and have used the term "midway through a University Degree", then I believe what you are looking for is "RESO (Reserve Entry Scheme Officer)", which is done through your local reserve unit.

Both enrolment plans lead to commissioning but are administered in a totally different way.

DAA said:
Actually, I don't think you are understanding the terminology correctly.

RETP is the same as ROTP but you would be attending RMC but assigned to the MILPERSCOM PRL as a Reservist while doing so.

As you have indicated that you are already a member of the PRes as an NCM and have used the term "midway through a University Degree", then I believe what you are looking for is "RESO (Reserve Entry Scheme Officer)", which is done through your local reserve unit.

Both enrolment plans lead to commissioning but are administered in a totally different way.
Yes, actually you're right the RESO was what I was looking for, I did some reading after making that last post and came across that program, but thank you for clarifying further.

First post here.  I'm going to RMC in 2014 in RETP and I need to do some financial planning. My tuition and lodging will be about $3,500 per term.  Does anyone know how much I can expect to pay for books, dry cleaning, mess and varsity fees?  Also, in the joining info, no laptop computer is listed.  Will I be issued one?  Do they charge the RETP cadets for this? Lastly, I know the pay scale is Lt B, but how many duty days can I expect for the 2014 orientation/FYOP and for 2015 training?

Back