• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve before Regular

upflames

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 17 years old, I'll be going for my G2 test September 8(if that has any relevance to this I'm unsure). I'm going into my senior year of highschool and I am planning on applying for regular forces infantry after I graduate.

Should I see about joining the reserves for the year or just go reg? I don't have very much work experience but I have a lot of volunteer experience(this is why I'm thinking about going reserve for the year; along with getting a taste of the army life).

If you have a local reserve regiment close by, I would personally go reserve and get a year or two of college at the same time. After battle school put in for a component transfer to the reg force.

Be mindful, I am a proud reservist who has never been in the infantry, your mileage may vary. Hopefully you are already READING a lot of the advice which has been given out in this forum.

I was thinking about the same thing, but in my case I was wondering whether or not I should join the reserves while I am in university or just join the regular force after graduation. Searching the site got me lots of answers on the topic, and I ended up deciding to join the reserves before the reg force. There are quite a few resources on here already about the same topic. On this website, the search function is your best friend.
Search: reserves during school, reserves vs regular, component transfer

Jonathan

The reserves will give you money towards your university education, and a small taste of what the RegF is like. Can't go wrong with full summer work and $2000 a year for school.

PuckChaser said:
The reserves will give you money towards your university education, and a small taste of what the RegF is like. Can't go wrong with full summer work and $2000 a year for school.

I was planning on applying to reg right after highschool.. If I go to college it would be for 2 years in Law and Security. Would this be useful or useless?

upflames said:
I was planning on applying to reg right after highschool.. If I go to college it would be for 2 years in Law and Security. Would this be useful or useless?
Higher education is always useful, even if not job specific for your desired trade.

PuckChaser said:

There is of course no guarantee that his program will be covered by the tuition assistance program, or that he will get full summers of employment.

upflames said:

You simply have to justify to the CF why your Law and Security diploma would aide in your employability in the CF.

Yes, full summers of employment aren't always guaranteed, however when I was in the CommRes there were more jobs than people to fill them. If you wanted work, you got your pick of the litter.

Back