• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res DP1 in Sault St. Marie / Michigan?

Bluebulldog

Reaction score
Just looking for some info.

I'm going to be doing my Artillery DP1 course in Michigan next Summer.

Can anyone that's been on the course provide any info. for example, timeline, time off during course, accomodations, and how you generally found the course?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Every course is different, but generally the timeline is that you spend the first couple days in a classroom setting learning fire discipline and how an artillery regiment works (I can't recall the actual title of the class), after that you start learning all about the howitzer, prepare for action, coming into action, recording a gun, as well as the various drills you will need to know to be a gunner. This takes about 3 weeks excluding weekends, after that you head to Grayling for the field ex.

During the ex you spend the first couple days doing dry deployments, then you have a day for the layers test, after that you do local defense, and then fire live.

You generally get the nights off during the week, use that time to prepare for inspections as well as studying. The weekends you may or may not be confined to barracks.

The accommodations for the DP1 Candidates is the college dorm.

Thanks Rocketryan,

I see you're with 11 Field.

I'm being sworn in on Thurs, probably see you in the Jr.Ranks mess afterwards.

Cheers.

DP1 in the Sault is pretty chill. Just hual A$$ "with the minimum of delay" while on the instructers time and study on your own time.

Being in Greyling with the F16's practising dogfighting overhead at times can be pretty sweet. And you may hear an A-10 doing strafing runs in the impact area at times as well. One thing which you should definitely do on your FTX is to bring your own pillow and sleeping kit for when you stay in the barracks in greyling - you'll see why.

Rocketryan hit it pretty much on the head with his post, however, I've heard that this past summer was the last summer for arty DP1's in the SOO. They are moving it to Meaford where you will only be able to shoot at charge 2. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you both.

Well. While I can say that I was looking forward to the Soo, particularly after your post nightsins, I won't complain about Meaford if it happens. As I am married with a family, and being closer to Orangeville means I may just get to see my family once in a blue moon.

I guess it'll be wait and see for the next few months. Thank you both.

NightSins said:
however, I've heard that this past summer was the last summer for arty DP1's in the SOO. They are moving it to Meaford where you will only be able to shoot at charge 2. Can anyone confirm this?

I decided not to mention that in my post because right now there has been no decision made on where to have it next summer.

Well regardless of the Soo, Meaford or somewhere else ( Shilo),,,I'm sure it'll be fine.

Back