• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Requirements of an officer in the CF

B

b.scheller

What is the requirement of language in the CF for an commisioned officer. Does an officer have to know French and English or is one language sufficient?

It has become preferential that officers be bilingual and all who wish to rise above the rank of Sgt to be also.

Gw

Not even preferentional, to the best of my knowledge a BAB profile is mandatory for all officers. I know at RMC its BBB before graduation so yeah, officers gotta be at least functionally bilingual. The reasoning: leaders lead best when they are speaking the mother tongue of their subordinates.

I believe the language requirement is BAB (Comprehension/Grammer/Speaking). At least, that's what's needed to be exempt from Second Language Training.
It's not a big deal since after IAP/BOTP they'll send you for SLT and that'll take up to 8 months. They'll test you and see what profile you have after that.
That being said, I don't know what consequence there is if you don't reach BAB. I remember hearing that it's only a concern if you're going for senior ranks (i.e. need BAB/Master's/OPME courses to reach Major).

On the bright side, you get a bit of break between Phase I and II and learn a new language... all while being paid for it.  :)

It's not a big deal since after IAP/BOTP they'll send you for SLT and that'll take up to 8 months. They'll test you and see what profile you have after that.

How good is the SLT training? Say if someone does not know french at all, generally how good can they be after 8 months?
I took German in school, so I know almost no French.

Pieman said:
How good is the SLT training? Say if someone does not know french at all, generally how good can they be after 8 months?
I took German in school, so I know almost no French.

You got me.  ;) I've only just finished BOTP, so I'll be heading back to St Jean for SLT. That being said, I'm already familiar with French (missed the exemption by a bit). From all reports, SLT is supposed to be fairly intensive and I could see getting at least a basic working knowledge in a few months, but after 8 months I imagine it would be pretty decent. It's just a matter of practice, I mean I doubt you could give a technical lecture to a group of recruits, but I imagine you could hold a pretty good conversion.

from all accounts i've heard, its pretty good. but you also have to bear in mind that you need to take time in town and the surrounding area to apply what you've learned in the classroom. going to SLT without trying to apply what you've learned means that you just wasted a whole bunch of time. i know the people in St-J can be quite rude at times when dealing with anglos trying to speak french but if you keep at it, you will get better. trust me on this.

There is no linguistic requirement in the Res. In the RegF, with the stated goal of a fully functional officer corps, officers who wish to be promoted beyond LCol must demonstrate a "functional" level in testing. There is no guaranteet, if you are on old dinosaur like me and came in before we started doing language training as an SOP, that you will receive any second language trg through the CF (I have received some): you are expected to develop your ability as a professional requirement. Language ability is a weighted scoring factor in rating RegF officer PERs at the annual merit boards. For WOs and NCOs it is also changing (especially, IIRC, for CWOs) but it is not as hard and fast for the NCMs as it is for officers. Cheers.

Thanks guys for answering...sorry for the n00b questions... :warstory:

Back