• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Requesting a new MCC

LightningRod

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm wondering... when would it be considered reasonable/acceptable to request to be reassigned to a new MCC?

I did a quick search for the answer to this but couldn't find it, so I hope this isn't a repeat question.

Let me start by saying that, yes, I know the Forces don't owe me a job. I'm not feeling entitled to one, or trying to come off that way. The only reason I'm even considering this as an option is because it was brought up to me by a recruiter that I spoke with relatively recently. However, I'm feeling very at odds with pursuing that avenue. I don't want to risk causing any problems for the member who is currently assigned as my MCC by being reassigned, but I also don't want to risk any significant holdups to my file due to somebody who may simply just be overburdened or a subject to circumstances beyond their control (likely).

- - -

A little background...

I applied early 2018 and have been told frequently along the way that I have a highly competitive application for my chosen trade due to my education/experience (I only selected one). Also, the trade has many positions remaining open for the FY and is actively being recruited for, as I understand. This is significant to my query because, again, I've been directly told by a few different representatives that I should expect to be on the merit list for an extremely short amount of time, once I land on it, before being selected. I understand, of course, that this is purely subjective, speculative and not an exact science... but I take it for what it is; the educated guess of experienced professionals.

I've always been given a rough expectation of the fall of 2018 for selection and everything has so far, thankfully, aligned very well to this. My application is nearing the end stages and everything is complete minus the criminal/credit check, which I'm told should be returning practically any day. This is where my concern lies...

I typically wait at least 3-4 weeks before attempting contact with my MCC for an update on my file because I know they're busy, and the process is largely out of their hands. I have broken this pattern only on two occasions to attempt to ask general questions about the trade and military life (to which I did not receive timely responses). E-mail replies from the MCC typically take at least 3 weeks, minimum. I've had luck only once... maybe twice, by phoning them directly; they do not answer. The MCC is also very frequently out of office and not responding to calls/e-mails for extended periods of time (weeks). It was one of these times which I could not reach my MCC that I phoned the recruiter who I had been assigned to beforehand and asked for an update, thinking that the recruiter could provide it in a pinch. During our conversation it was the recruiter who went out of their way to suggest that I may be reassigned to a new MCC. The recruiter indicated that should the MCC continue to appear to be overburdened, reassigning was a palatable reality.

- - -

It has been a reasonable amount of time since that conversation but things still seem to be continuing in the same vein. Meanwhile I am expecting the background check to come back anytime and be bottlenecked on the MCCs desk because they are overburdened and/or out of office, while I could practically be sitting on the merit list and potentially be offered a career in short order. I apologize if this sounds selfish. Perhaps it is.

So that brings me to the crux of this post, the question posed at the beginning: Is it reasonable in my situation to contact the recruiter and present them the opportunity to make good on their offer of having me assigned to a new MCC? Is it normal to have a file reassigned from time to time? I don't want to potentially start my career in the CAF by stepping on toes before I am even offered a position.

Thank you to anybody who has taken the time to read this, and a double thank you to anybody who is able to offer any insight into my situation.

Might want to ask if you can speak with the CFRC Commanding Officer about concerns of the way your file/information is being handled.

Mind you, questions about general military/trade life are not something an MCC should really be answering, that's for the Recruiters.

You should also be going to your assigned File Manager for info and updates, not the MCC; unless of course you're just confusing the terms. Military Career Counsellors are the ones that conduct interviews, but don't normally handle the day-to-day of an applicant file

That said, depending on how early "early in 2018" is, your timeline of waiting is not far off and your application is actually being processed pretty quickly. You have to remember too, processing for your medical assessment can take an average (or sometimes even a minimum) of 4-8 weeks for processing and your Background Screening can take a while as well (especially if you have lived in many different places, worked a lot of jobs, references hard to get a hold of etc).

Mintz Global, the company that does all the Background Screening (Crim, credit, reference checks) does it for the whole of the Canadian government so they're busy too.

Once on the Merit List, your name is sent to a Selection Panel for your selected trade and is reviewed by them. The people on the panel are people selected from the trade and are not just generalists. Many of these people are Occupational Authorities but also have other jobs so depending on the trade, the size, the Strategic Intake Plan, the panel will not sit on a regular basis. They may meet and make selections only a couple times per year.

That doesn't excuse getting zero response though.

LightningRod said:
The only reason I'm even considering this as an option is because it was brought up to me by a recruiter that I spoke with relatively recently.

I would seriously consider whatever advice a CAF Recruiter has to offer.

LunchMeat said:
Might want to ask if you can speak with the CFRC Commanding Officer about concerns of the way your file/information is being handled.

Mind you, questions about general military/trade life are not something an MCC should really be answering, that's for the Recruiters.

You should also be going to your assigned File Manager for info and updates, not the MCC; unless of course you're just confusing the terms. Military Career Counsellors are the ones that conduct interviews, but don't normally handle the day-to-day of an applicant file

That said, depending on how early "early in 2018" is, your timeline of waiting is not far off and your application is actually being processed pretty quickly. You have to remember too, processing for your medical assessment can take an average (or sometimes even a minimum) of 4-8 weeks for processing and your Background Screening can take a while as well (especially if you have lived in many different places, worked a lot of jobs, references hard to get a hold of etc).

Mintz Global, the company that does all the Background Screening (Crim, credit, reference checks) does it for the whole of the Canadian government so they're busy too.

Once on the Merit List, your name is sent to a Selection Panel for your selected trade and is reviewed by them. The people on the panel are people selected from the trade and are not just generalists. Many of these people are Occupational Authorities but also have other jobs so depending on the trade, the size, the Strategic Intake Plan, the panel will not sit on a regular basis. They may meet and make selections only a couple times per year.

That doesn't excuse getting zero response though.

There definitely must be some confusion somewhere. The individual is certainly a MCC. It's the same person who conducted my interview, and who I've been instructed to maintain contact with for updates/inquiries on the processing of my application. I agree that pestering them with things like general questions seemed kind of out of their purview, but I was instructed by the recruiter who was previously handling my file that they were my new point of contact after the interview. I will direct any general questions to the recruiters from now on; thank you for your advice.

I don't want to be misunderstood in seeming as if I think the process is going slowly. I've combed these forums enough to realize that things are going extremely well. It just seems like my application is coming to an important crossroads and I am hoping to ensure it's handled as smoothly as possible.

Thank you LunchMeat, and mariomike, for your responses and counsel. I will likely contact the CFRC in the near future and discuss a reasonable course of action with the appropriate personnel.

LightningRod said:
Thank you LunchMeat, and mariomike, for your responses and counsel.

You are welcome.  Good luck.  :)

My Two Cents

The turn around time for most MCC's to return communication is about 2 - 3 weeks, this is because it is not their primary function to communicate with applicants.  About the only time that I've seen direction for an individual to be told that they have to remain in contact directly with an MCC is if there's a possible issue with the file (i.e. something popped up on the CRNC, there's an issue with the PLAR) or something to that caliber.  Normally day to day questions remain at the Recruiter or File Manager Level. 

Even if you get a new MCC, the likely response time will still be 2-3 weeks again because this is not their primary function.  What I would suggest is to clarify why you are dealing directly with the MCC.  If there are no issues with your file ask if you can communicate with a Recruiter or File Manager for your queries.  If you're dealing with the MCC because of an issue with your file I would take that into account prior to lodging a complaint.

Back