• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

That very well could be an option although with the RCN doggedly holding onto submarine capability even throughout the bevy of issues suffered to the service and its boats as a whole, it seems to point towards some kind of will to carry on. It would have been far easier to scrap the service years ago, the Canadian government has done it multiple times previously. The government did announce last July I believe that they were establishing a Canadian patrol submarine project to provide the government with options and information towards a potential replacement, however that could easily go nowhere.

70BE0A7D-9049-4BC2-9A94-CAE932432D41.jpeg

Oh, there WILL be replacements. It will just be after the Victoria's are long retired and the last members with the corporate knowledge of how to run a submarine fleet are gone so we can start completely from scratch again!
UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft fleet enters the chat

And a misnomer when it relates to the DDH280's. They were the IROQUOIS class, never the TRIBAL. The TRIBAL were a WWII class of destroyers, the last active-service one in Canada being HMCS HAIDA, now in Hamilton and serving as Canada's ceremonial flagship.
I believe she is the only one left, of the 27 that were built.

You'll also see them referred to as the 280s, because their hull numbers started at 280 on the lead ship, HMCS Iroquois (DDG 280).

And a misnomer when it relates to the DDH280's. They were the IROQUOIS class, never the TRIBAL. The TRIBAL were a WWII class of destroyers, the last active-service one in Canada being HMCS HAIDA, now in Hamilton and serving as Canada's ceremonial flagship.
True enough but we still named the upgrade project TRUMP - TRibal Class Update and Modernization Project.

It was, in the engineering world, called 'One No Trump' when there were some serious worries about the Ā¼ of the project which, by the firm direction of the government-of-the-day, had to be awarded to a contractor in a province which differed from the one in which the prime contractor was based.

True enough but we still named the upgrade project TRUMP - TRibal Class Update and Modernization Project.

I once heard (maybe a rumour, maybe an urban legend) that the original name for that project was "Tribal Class Upgrade Project": T-CUP. No one wanted to be part of project "tea cup" so an alternate name was developed.

I once heard (maybe a rumour, maybe an urban legend) that the original name for that project was "Tribal Class Upgrade Project": T-CUP. No one wanted to be part of project "tea cup" so an alternate name was developed.
Good thing then they didn't call it Destroyer Class Upgrade Project.

Canada to pay double on US torpedo deal first struck in 2014​

"The Canadian government is prepared to pay the US Navy double the amount originally agreed upon in 2014 to acquire torpedo upgrade kits for its Victoria-class submarines.

On Sept. 24, 2014 the US Congress was informed of a $41 million deal to sell 12 MK-48 Mod 7 Advanced Technology Torpedo Conversion Kits and related logistics to the Canadian military. "

Canada to pay double on US torpedo deal first struck in 2014​

"The Canadian government is prepared to pay the US Navy double the amount originally agreed upon in 2014 to acquire torpedo upgrade kits for its Victoria-class submarines.

On Sept. 24, 2014 the US Congress was informed of a $41 million deal to sell 12 MK-48 Mod 7 Advanced Technology Torpedo Conversion Kits and related logistics to the Canadian military. "
So this is a Canadian issue or a US issue, I can't tell from the article?

Back