• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rename 97st to Heroes Boulevard? (Edmonton)

derael

Inactive
Reaction score
Just heard this on the radio about 30 minutes ago...

There's a petition out to rename 97st to Heroes Boulevard. This petition is to be presented to the Mayor of Edmonton at some point in the near future.

97st is of course the road that leads into CFB Edmonton (as you may or may not be aware).

Here's the link.

http://www.petitiononline.com/heroblvd/petition-sign.html

Reminds me of Valour Road in Winnipeg.

A bloody good idea, and I hope it is carried.

OWDU.

EDIT: Whether its hero, or another suitable name, the naming of a road/street/blvd in honour of those who have served, suffered or died in the service of their country, is truly an honourable thing to do.

Replacing a number with a name.... is a good thing.

Lest we forget!

CHIMO!

I'm not too sure I'm keen on this - 97th is a main artery with lots of businesses.  "Heroes Boulevard" is kind of ambiguous and a bit cheesy in my opinion.  "Hey, come buy tires, I'm down on 19453 Hero Boulevard!"

Infanteer said:
I'm not too sure I'm keen on this - 97th is a main artery with lots of businesses.  "Heroes Boulevard" is kind of ambiguous and a bit cheesy in my opinion.  "Hey, come buy tires, I'm down on 19453 Hero Boulevard!"

Is this any different from any of the other streets that Edmonton has named?  Wayne Gretzky Drive comes to mind.

"Hey, come buy tires, I'm down on 19453 The Great One Drive!"

Infanteer said:

This has crossed my mind too.  I'm sure many of us (and those who have gone before us) don't consider ourselves "heroes" and I too find it a bit over the top.  If we are to rename 97th, how about "Veterans' ", a term that applies to all and honours everyone who served, or "Memorial", a term that honours the fallen.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
This has crossed my mind too.  I'm sure many of us (and those who have gone before us) don't consider ourselves "heroes" and I too find it a bit over the top.  If we are to rename 97th, how about "Veterans' ", a term that applies to all and honours everyone who served, or "Memorial", a term that honours the fallen.

If the petition hasn't started circulation, now is the time to make that decision.

Hi Folks
Gotta throw my 0.02 worth in to this discussion. Hero's Boulevard is not written in stone. It is just an idea on one way to rename this road. One councillor thought Military road was an idea. Personally I like the idea of Veteran's Way. 97th street in Edmonton has always been the main road out to the Edmonton base and I think it shows all the military personnel new and not so new that they are in our hearts and minds always.

Teddy Ruxpin said:

There are many monuments to the fallen hero's of the past and very few to no for the recent conflict in afghanistan good luck with the name change...

Hey.... if the city takes a page outa the Ontario government's playbook, they can continue to call it 97st while attributing an official / unofficial name to the street.... Just like the Highway of heroes between Trenton & Toronto

Teddy Ruxpin said:

I too have problems with the term "heroes" as I find we toss it out so frequently now that it has lost any status that the word was originally meant to portray. The terms Veterans or Memorial is a far better choice in my mind.

I have access to, if not necessarily influence on, the person(s) who will ultimately make the decision on this matter. I am quite prepared to present an alternative to the word Hero, for all the good reasons that have previously articulated, but I would certainly want to read more comments and suggestions before I do so. Most of us are veterans, few of us are heroes, at least in the context most of us would be comfortable with. My SENSE is that the people who are promoting this name have done so for all the right reasons -  they want to acknowledge the sacrifice and service we have all given to Canada. We (veterans) need to provide timely and well-considered advice to the City policy makers before they make a decision. For those of you still serving, particularly in Edmonton Garrison, I expect the City will consult with the local commander prior to making a final decision. If you are unhappy with the use of the word Hero, please make sure your chain of command is aware, and provide them with suitable alternatives. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this off-line.

Perhaps in line with the "Quiet Professional" the name of "Veterans' " or "Memorial" would be more appropriate.

I like the sentiment, I just think that Hero Blvd is not the best choice.

As Wes pointed out, Winnipeg has one road which stands in quiet dignity.....Valour Road.

Winnipeg also has a Memorial Blvd where the cenotaph is, but for the most part is ignored except for one day in the spring and one in the fall....but it's central...

Veterans Way or something similar sounds right for Edmonton.....especially for the road leading to the base.....it honors them all.

I'm going to throw in my $.02. 
The reasoning behind the naming of the road to Heroes Blvd, is because whether all you military types like to believe it or not, MANY people, myself included, think of the men and women in the Canadian Forces as HEROES!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are willing to step up, risk your life and do the right thing.  I know you are basically a very modest bunch and are not really comfortable the word 'hero' being used.  Get over it!!! That's okay, we will forgive you.  ;D 
If you would prefer "Heroes, even though we do not really think of ourselves as heroes, Blvd"  Maybe we can look into that. ;D
Just a way to say thanks and that you are not forgotten. 

ENGINEERS WIFE said:

If you would prefer "Heroes, even though we do not really think of ourselves as heroes, Blvd"  Maybe we can look into that. ;D
Just a way to say thanks and that you are not forgotten. 
I think that name might be a bit big to fit on a road sign, but I like it!

All kidding aside, did they not mention it was only going to be the section of road between 111 Ave and 119 Ave? If that's the case why did they choose to pick only that section? Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

- Is that the narrow, tree lined section north of Chinatown that had all of the yellow ribbons flying from the trees in 2002?  Seemed like the whole 'hood lined the street there to welcome us back from Op APPOLLO.

- Leave it 97th.  It was 97th all through the 20th century and we lost 100,000 dead then. 

Back