• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious/Extremist Terrorism: Non-Muslim edition

Tentatively posting this here. Vehicle ramming attack through a Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin (not far up the highway from Kenosha).

Lots of video. Red Ford Escape entered the parade at speed from the rear, struck numerous adults and kids and drove through at least one marching band and at least one girls’ dance troupe. At least 23 victims, at least one fatality and probably more. Police shot at it as it exited the parade route. Dispatch scanner audio called it a black male driver. No word yet on motive. Vehicle and a “person of interest” are in custody. This one is awful.

That is horrific, but at this point what are the indications that this had anything to do with extremism or some ideological motivation, versus being a mentally disturbed individual, or something other unrelated to political/religious ideology?

The mayor called it a "horrible and senseless act." suggesting there is no known motive at this time.

That is horrific, but at this point what are the indications that this had anything to do with extremism or some ideological motivation, versus being a mentally disturbed individual, or something other unrelated to political/religious ideology?

The mayor called it a "horrible and senseless act." suggesting there is no known motive at this time.
None. All indications are that the perpetrator may have been fleeing another crime scene. This may just be collateral to that. Details are still vague.

I posted it here, as I said “tentatively”, because of the nature of the event, and the video I watched in which he very definitely intentionally drove into a large group of people, hit the gas, and kept pushing through, and then did it again when he reached the dance troupe. It is, of course, entirely possible that this is something else, that there isn’t an ideological or political motivation to this mass murder. Should the evidence lead in that direction, this post and replies can easily be split from the thread. Given the initial info I made the decision with, I stand by it.

This symbol hoax courtesy of 4chan sure has taken on a life of it's own.
Okay Hand Gesture
How the “OK” Symbol Became a Popular Trolling Gesture
It's kind of disappointing how many random symbols and sometimes people are used as symbols by the far right. If it wasn't for cancel culture, it might not be as big a deal. Fortunately, some things such as the Detriot Red Wings and Taylor Swift have survived being used as a white supremacist symbol, but I'll never underestimate cancel culture.

I posted it here, as I said “tentatively”, because of the nature of the event, and the video I watched in which he very definitely intentionally drove into a large group of people, hit the gas, and kept pushing through, and then did it again when he reached the dance troupe. It is, of course, entirely possible that this is something else, that there isn’t an ideological or political motivation to this mass murder. Should the evidence lead in that direction, this post and replies can easily be split from the thread. Given the initial info I made the decision with, I stand by it.

Early indications seem to be that he was fleeing a crime according to the Globe and Mail: Waukesha parade crash driver may have been fleeing a crime

Reactions: QV
Early indications seem to be that he was fleeing a crime according to the Globe and Mail: Waukesha parade crash driver may have been fleeing a crime
Horrible as that is, I hope you’re right and that this turns out not to have an ideological aspect to it, for fear of the further inflammatory impact of that if in fact it did. Believe me, I’d be very happy to see this event moved out of this thread. Sadly, vehicle vs crowd in the past several years has usually had a terrorism angle to it, hence my first inclination on this.

In court later today according to the DA ....
The Waukesha County District Attorney’s Office expresses its sincere condolences to the crime victims and everyone affected by the events at the Waukesha Christmas Parade on November 21, 2021. This tragedy has affected our entire community. We would like to acknowledge the work of the men and women in law enforcement who have done a tremendous job to save lives and protect our community. Further, thank you to all the other First Responders, medical personnel and citizens who rendered aid.

Law enforcement is continuing its investigation into this matter. We are working closely with the City of Waukesha Police Department to review the matter and decide what criminal charges will be issued. Initial charges are expected to be filed tomorrow (23 Nov) during a court appearance at 4 p.m. (Central Time) at the Waukesha County Courthouse, room 215. Additional charges will be considered at a later time, as the investigation unfolds and the full extent of injuries is known. The court appearance is expected to be live-streamed.
Please find details at Waukesha County - Circuit Courts

(...)

Please be mindful that at this stage, any charges that may be issued are allegations and that anyone charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
More on the accused via Reuters here, Associated Press here, FOX News here & CNN here - some tidbits from the AP account (with the usual "initial reports caveats" applying as always):
... One pending case against Darrell Brooks Jr. included an allegation that he deliberately hit a woman with his car in early November after a fight. Prosecutors in Milwaukee County on Monday called their bail recommendation “inappropriately low” given the facts of that case and the Sunday crash, and said they would review it ...
... Thompson, the police chief, said that there was no evidence the bloodshed Sunday was a terrorist attack or that Brooks knew anyone in the parade. Brooks acted alone, the chief said. Brooks had left the site of the domestic disturbance before officers arrived, and was not being chased by police at the time of the crash, according to the chief, who gave no further details on the dispute ...

Horrible as that is, I hope you’re right and that this turns out not to have an ideological aspect to it, for fear of the further inflammatory impact of that if in fact it did. Believe me, I’d be very happy to see this event moved out of this thread. Sadly, vehicle vs crowd in the past several years has usually had a terrorism angle to it, hence my first inclination on this.

Well, it may have an extremism link after all, but probably not the kind of non-Muslim extremism you had in mind ...

Well, it may have an extremism link after all, but probably not the kind of non-Muslim extremism you had in mind ...

I didn’t have anything in particular in mind. Like I said, the nature of the event pointed to terrorism as a more-likely-than-not factor. The very initial description of the suspect (which proved accurate) had me leaning towards less likely Islamist, more likely something other than that. None of it more than supposition; just a place to post the story.

It can be both. He could have been fleeing, and decided to go all-in and fulfill some political desires.

In the US Armed Forces:

... The Army reported 33 allegations of “racially motivated violent extremism,” while the Navy had 30, the Marine Corps had seven and the Air Force reported none.

In the anti-government/anti-authority category, there were 34 Army reports, 14 Navy reports, 25 Marine Corps reports — despite Marines making up about 10% of the total force ― and none from the Air Force.

The Air Force reported 102 allegations of “domestic violence extremism participation,” which is not clearly defined.

The Air Force was also the only service to report “trespassing at the U.S. Capitol,” of which they had 10 allegations.

Anti-government extremism was much more common in the Marine Corps.

While the “responsibility for addressing this threat cannot fall uniquely” on the Forces’ counter-intelligence unit, NSIRA said, the agency reported concern the unit “may not be fully utilized to proactively identify white supremacist across” the Department of National Defence.

New research indicates that far-right extremists and white supremacists are gaining new followers and influence by co-opting conspiracy theories about COVID-19:

That’s kind of a ‘no shit’ for anyone who’s paid any critical mind to Facebook, Twitter or other large social media over the past year…

Pentagon to issue rules aimed at curbing rise in extremism among troops. The new guidelines come nearly a year after some current and former service members took part in the U.S. Capitol riot:

Pentagon to issue rules aimed at curbing rise in extremism among troops. The new guidelines come nearly a year after some current and former service members took part in the U.S. Capitol riot:

First thing is ban Fox News - the more extreme right wingers.

First thing is ban Fox News - the more extreme right wingers.
Years ago I was on a US ship on a tour. I noticed that all of the TVs in the mess, etc were showing Fox news.

Years later, I was in the Naval Exchange (USN version of the PX) and guess what, the TVs were also showing Fox news.

Back