• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious/Extremist Terrorism: Non-Muslim edition

Gee too bad.

He was apparently a genius but went off the rails badly.

Lol, I couldn’t make heads nor tails of it. Anyway, glad he’s finally dead.
Did you know it was his sister in law that reported him to the FBI? Apparently the language he used in his manifesto was the giveaway.

He was a very strange individual.

Did you know it was his sister in law that reported him to the FBI? Apparently the language he used in his manifesto was the giveaway.

He was a very strange individual.
Yeah, I remember reading that.

And you can bet there was one hell of an “I told you so!” conversation with her hubby about how weird his brother was.

I don’t find any of that difficult to believe… I don’t have any reason to believe someone with military service is individually more likely to violently radicalize, but if they do they may be ‘better equipped’ to make it count, with at least some rudimentary knowledge of planning, tactics, and operational security. They also may be more primed to have seriously contemplated actual violence (even if in a completely legitimate context).

Canada’s been lucky so far- Patrik Mathews was caught by a US undercover investigation, and Corey Hurren, dee as he was down the rabbit hole, at least didn’t show up that day committed to fight the police who confronted and stopped him. But we’ve had close calls, and there will be more… Undoubtedly there are others flying under the radar too.

I don’t find any of that difficult to believe… I don’t have any reason to believe someone with military service is individually more likely to violently radicalize, but if they do they may be ‘better equipped’ to make it count, with at least some rudimentary knowledge of planning, tactics, and operational security. They also may be more primed to have seriously contemplated actual violence (even if in a completely legitimate context).

Canada’s been lucky so far- Patrik Mathews was caught by a US undercover investigation, and Corey Hurren, dee as he was down the rabbit hole, at least didn’t show up that day committed to fight the police who confronted and stopped him. But we’ve had close calls, and there will be more… Undoubtedly there are others flying under the radar too.
We are a representation of society, individuals like this, or who have similar views will get into the forces from time to time. Is the CAF actually doing social media checks on new recruits to search for things like this, or is not time for that?

Incel-ism: the new radicalization?
More via Google News here.

So we have an 18 year old here charged with attempt murder, B & E and PWDPP. No doubt the neighbors will all say he was a quiet kid but a bit odd. I think he was stalking women in the area but I can't say for certain he was. NO one wakes up one day and says "I think I'll stab someone" if they have led a completely normal life.

Then there is the Olive Garden stabber - an unprovoked stabbing in a restaurant. BUT its not his fault he had a meth problem and the system failed him.

Boo hoo fuckin hoo.

We are a representation of society, individuals like this, or who have similar views will get into the forces from time to time. Is the CAF actually doing social media checks on new recruits to search for things like this, or is not time for that?
I can’t speak to what’s being done with CAF recruits. Anecdotally, I can say I’m aware from a couple friends who work for federal agencies that they were required to disclose social media sites and handles when renewing security clearances in the past year or two. I’m not surprised by that.

Is the CAF actually doing social media checks on new recruits to search for things like this, or is not time for that?

May, or may not, be of interest to the discussion,

This is what the Privacy Commissioner has to say about that;

8. Be aware of inappropriate practices/no-go zones​

Given the unequal positions of power between employers and employees (or potential employees), there is a risk that employers ask for more information than they are allowed to collect, and that individuals may feel unduly pressured to provide such information. For example, employers would likely go too far in requesting that employees (or potential employees) provide them with access to password-protected areas of their social media accounts.

OPC guidance on inappropriate data practices has noted that requiring passwords to social media accounts for the purpose of employee screening would generally not be considered appropriate by a reasonable person. It also notes that profiling or categorization that leads to unfair, unethical or discriminatory treatment contrary to human rights is a further inappropriate practice.

Sometimes it's notnecessary. Post-retirement I did background investigations for a provincially-regulated activity, and a former colleague did recruit background checks for a police service. We were both amazed how many of this apparently tech-savvy generation had wide-open social media accounts and openly shared personal information online.

This is what the Privacy Commissioner has to say about that;

8. Be aware of inappropriate practices/no-go zones​

Given the unequal positions of power between employers and employees (or potential employees), there is a risk that employers ask for more information than they are allowed to collect, and that individuals may feel unduly pressured to provide such information. For example, employers would likely go too far in requesting that employees (or potential employees) provide them with access to password-protected areas of their social media accounts.

OPC guidance on inappropriate data practices has noted that requiring passwords to social media accounts for the purpose of employee screening would generally not be considered appropriate by a reasonable person. It also notes that profiling or categorization that leads to unfair, unethical or discriminatory treatment contrary to human rights is a further inappropriate practice.

Binding on federal/federally-regulated employees, no? But it seems most NA jurisdictions take a similar view.

Sometimes it's notnecessary. Post-retirement I did background investigations for a provincially-regulated activity, and a former colleague did recruit background checks for a police service. We were both amazed how many of this apparently tech-savvy generation had wide-open social media accounts and openly shared personal information online.

Oh man, no kidding.

Some recruit to CAF was on Facebook once bragging about how he was getting a top secret security clearance for whatever trade he was. I was bored, so I dug into his social media for about ten minutes, and messaged him a photo of the front of his house, names of his immediately family members, and where his sister currently went to high school along with a ‘hey dude, maybe be careful with saying you’re CAF and getting TS’. I think I spooked him pretty good.

Even after hired, it has been the cause of the occasional career suicide.

I wonder if recruiters sometimes ask for passwords just to see what sort of reaction they get?

Back