• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religion in the Canadian Forces & in Canadian Society

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the links! I am having a hard time researching this, so those links have helped.  I don't personally see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed. I don't see it as a piece of jewelry, I see it quite the same as wearing a crucifix. I know that Germanic Paganism is recognized in the USA as a religion, and has the same rights as the rest, but for Canada, i'm not sure; internet just leads me to ask.fm and wiki, which I don't trust all that well. The hammer, is one of the important symbols, but we also have bracelets, and rings, depending on which god they represent, now as I said before, I don't personally see these items as jewelry, but more as religious symbols. 

There is a CANFORGEN that covers this. It's CANFORGEN 162/12 and while most CANFORGENs are not readily available on the internet, the Routine Orders of a certain reserve unit are and they explain the policy. Available here: http://www.salh.net/docs/ROs/SALH%20RO%202013-01.pdf

Key points though:

Since the promulgation of ref A, the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) has ruled that a belief does not have to be a mandatory requirement of the faith in order to trigger the right to freedom of religion under the
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. There need only be a sincerely held belief, one that connects the adherent to his or her faith or idea of the divine or that the adherent believes to be a customary tenet of the religion.

4. As a result of the SCC decision, commanders in receipt of religious or spiritual accommodation requests should not refuse accommodation on the sole basis of whether or not a belief is a confirmed requirement of the faith. Requests for accommodation on religious or spiritual grounds should also be considered in light of all other factors mentioned in ref A, a process which the local Chaplain may help facilitate, and accommodation should be granted unless it would constitute undue hardship or prevent the CF member from meeting, or being capable of meeting minimum operational standards relating to universality of service as per DOAD 5023-1.

The bottom line as I understand it, and after talking to a Padre about when faced with a similar although not exact request, was that as long as a member presents a request for religious accommodation as a sincerely held belief and there would be no breach in universality of service, the request should be granted. It would seem to me that IF this is recognized religion then you should be GTG so long as it does not breach universality of service.

One thought I will throw out there though is that there MAY be times when wearing something around your neck may not be in your best interest from a personal safety perspective. I wear a wedding ring and there I times when I take it off as I enjoy having a finger more then I enjoy wearing my ring.

I find the expression approved religion as being totally odious as does the government of Canada.  Everyone is free to practice their religion.  While you may very well want to wear symbolism, I would have to be convinced that it is critical to your beliefs.  According to the Charter of Rights freedom of religion is subject to reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.  Freedom of religion is not open ended.  I suspect recognized religions are those with enough members in the forces to justify the employment of Chaplains.

Rocky Mountains said:
I suspect recognized religions are those with enough members in the forces to justify the employment of Chaplains.

There are not Chaplains for each and every recognized religion in the CAF.

Once again, for the OP:  Dress Regulations as to the wearing of jewelry will be the only regulations that you will have to follow.  All the rest of this discussion is fluff.

Metsuke said:
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the links! I am having a hard time researching this, so those links have helped.  I don't personally see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed. I don't see it as a piece of jewelry, I see it quite the same as wearing a crucifix. I know that Germanic Paganism is recognized in the USA as a religion, and has the same rights as the rest, but for Canada, i'm not sure; internet just leads me to ask.fm and wiki, which I don't trust all that well. The hammer, is one of the important symbols, but we also have bracelets, and rings, depending on which god they represent, now as I said before, I don't personally see these items as jewelry, but more as religious symbols.

Sorry, but they ARE considered "jewelry". 

But these symbols mean something, they are the ideals of the religion symbolized. Its like the Kara, reminds the Sikh of his/her religious duties, Mjölnir is the same as a Kara. Since this religion is not widely recognized, it is important to remember why you wear it.

Metsuke said:
But these symbols mean something, they are the ideals of the religion symbolized. Its like the Kara, reminds the Sikh of his/her religious duties, Mjölnir is the same as a Kara. Since this religion is not widely recognized, it is important to remember why you wear it.

::)

Yes.....ffs......You can wear it.  According to Dress Regulations you can wear it, but it must not be visible. 

Has that sunk in yet?

Let me simplify:

You will be allowed to wear the symbol of your belief system.

You will not be allowed to go about looking like a refugee from a Mr T contest.

As far as ID disks go, "Pagan" (PAG) is an available option.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/99416/post-1022745.html#msg1022745

jeffb said:
I enjoy having a finger more then I enjoy wearing my ring.

[tangent]
I enjoyed my sanity more than I enjoyed wearing my wedding ring  :p

[/tangent]

Rheostatic said:

Is Jedi also accepted? ::)

Rheostatic said:
Goofy question:  how does someone serve as a JEH (Jehovah's Wintess) in the CF, given the potential of needing a blood transfusion (which the religion bans)?

I guess that's the whole point of dog tags (or ID disks or whatever you call them): Your supposed to read them when the soldier comes in the treatment area: "JEH he! Put him over there and let him bleed to death."  ;)

Whereas I would just assume they wish to be saved and if it's a problem afterwards, then they can deal with it.  I don't think most folks follow a religion right to the letter.
I mean I know Catholics that actually had sex before they were married..................with me!!  Bazinga..........

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Whereas I would just assume they wish to be saved and if it's a problem afterwards, then they can deal with it.  I don't think most folks follow a religion right to the letter.
I mean I know Catholics that actually had sex before they were married..................with me!!  Bazinga..........

Hopefully before you were married as well.  Otherwise your wife is going to be upset.

Another thing; has anyone known a Jehovah's Wintess to have joined the CAF?  It is totally against every belief they have.

dapaterson said:
Hopefully before you were married as well.  Otherwise your wife is going to be upset.

Damn, I hate the small details.....

Back