• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Release from Reserves

deltacanine

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in training for Reserve Infantry and I have encountered a problem... the thing is I was informed by my employer that they would allow me every other weekend off for training, and now they have said no.
I was given the option of taking a position with less pay but I cannot go that route due to my finiacial situation.

My question is, how do I release from the Reserves?? I dont want them to think that I am quiting because I love it!!! but I cannot fulfill my committment because of my current job, but I do in the future plan on re-joining as by that time I will hopefully have a career with the RCMP and im sure they would be much more accepting of the Reserves.

I just want everyone who reads this to know that I am not quiting, I am merely setting it aside for a future time.
I want to be part of the Army, and I will re-join when I have a stable job.

Thanks

deltacanine said:
Hello, I am currently in training for Reserve Infantry and I have encountered a problem... the thing is I was informed by my employer that they would allow me every other weekend off for training, and now they have said no.
I was given the option of taking a position with less pay but I cannot go that route due to my finiacial situation.

My question is, how do I release from the Reserves?? I dont want them to think that I am quiting because I love it!!! but I cannot fulfill my committment because of my current job, but I do in the future plan on re-joining as by that time I will hopefully have a career with the RCMP and im sure they would be much more accepting of the Reserves.

I just want everyone who reads this to know that I am not quiting, I am merely setting it aside for a future time.
I want to be part of the Army, and I will re-join when I have a stable job.

Thanks

Send a memo outlining your reasons to release up your chain of command.  As a side note, Regular members of the RCMP (IE Police Officers), are not allowed to be members of the Primary Reserves.

Unfortunately, so far as I'm aware, one cannot be a member of both the CF and the RCMP.  Municipal police yes, RCMP not so much.

Your chain of command will likely be understanding of your position, and though they will be disappointed, they will be glad that you made the responsible decision to release rather than be NES due to an inability to meet commitments to reserve training.

Best of luck.

Thank you for that information, I was not aware that RCMP members could not be in the Reserves... I have an interview with them next week... so it will for sure be something that will com up. thanks again...

You may wish to go on the Sup Holding list - it will be easier to get back in later if you want to than if you just release.

muffin

If the scheduling problem is a temporary one, you could apply for Leave without pay - Short term or Long term......

As a Cpl or above, there would be the possibility of applying for SRR (or whatever they want to call it this week) - on the assumption that you were looking for alternate employment - prior to returning

Or you can explain it to your section commander, go to the Orderly Room and ask that release papers be prepared. As said before - it's better to bite the bullet and "retire" than become a face that people remember for all the wrong reasons - (he's not there when you need him - kind of guy).

Then there's the RCMP..... constables cannot be Reservists
(though members of CSIS can)

If the scheduling problem is a temporary one, you could apply for Leave without pay - Short term or Long term......

Actually in the RESERVES you ask for Excused Drill and Training (ED&T).

kincanucks said:
Actually in the RESERVES you ask for Excused Drill and Training (ED&T).

Just a clarification, it's now called "Exempt Duty & Training" AP A-PM-245-001/FP-001 Chapter 19/Annex A is the form.

Also, keep in mind that your CO can only approve ED&T to a maximum of 90 days. Anything more, they have to reccomend it to the Immediate Higher HQ, and they can only approve to a maximum of 180 days, and reccomend to their immediate HQ for approval, etc.

Keep in mind, unless there's extenuating circumstances, most CO's won't push for an ED&T of over 180 days as you will be holding a position on their unit's establishment.

I would suggest a voluntary release and transfer to the Supplementary Reserve (Also, you should look into whether the RCMP will allow that, I'm not sure).

No one will hold the fact that you are releasing against you. I've been on class B for the last several months as my units Release/Transfer Clerk, and I process releases here on a weekly basis, some for people who have been in less than a year, some who have for over 25. Circumstances change, and if the route you have chosen doesn't accomodate Reserve service, it's entirely up to you.

If you do decide to process with a release, put a memo up your chain stating that you are going to request a voluntary release, and the reasons why (just so that they're in the know), and report to your Orderly Room to fill out the paperwork, and they'll go into detail as far as your release process.

If you have any release questions, feel free to PM me.

And here I was thinking that the reason class "B" reservists only earned 85% of Reg F pay was because they weren't compelled to serve by TOSes. Almost as though that argument were completely facetious...

Monsoon said:
And here I was thinking that the reason class "B" reservists only earned 85% of Reg F pay was because they weren't compelled to serve by TOSes. Almost as though that argument were completely facetious...

Considering most Class 'B' Reservists tend to work more erratic hours, and longer hours than Reg Force members the fact they are paid 85% of the pay is rubbish(especially considering they tend to have more responsibilities as well).

Also considering that this topic has nothing to do with the OPs questions and thread, I am sure there as another thread for this topic which I am sure has had the same opinions beaten to death.

Eaglelord17 said:
Considering most Class 'B' Reservists tend to work more erratic hours, and longer hours than Reg Force members the fact they are paid 85% of the pay is rubbish(especially considering they tend to have more responsibilities as well).

Also considering that this topic has nothing to do with the OPs questions and thread, I am sure there as another thread for this topic which I am sure has had the same opinions beaten to death.
Odd - I was replying to this thread (http://navy.ca/forums/threads/125763/post-1488628), but it posted here. Any mod care to move this over?

The threads got merged, thats why its here.

Eaglelord17 said:

Agree with you with regards to Class B Pay (if they are doing jobs in a Full time manner as the Reg Force, they should be getting paid the same).  I think the pay should be the same, but eligibility for PLD should not regardless of the move (as taking the contract what a choice, rather then a "posting", etc).

Disagree that Class B members work more then Reg F members.  I'd say it is underestimated just how much work is done at the average reserve unit by few people, but I've not seen much difference between Class B members and Reg F members in that environment.  Ditto to "more" responsibilities - a PRes Unit has less people covering off on duties, but they also are much less likely to need to execute those duties on a regular basis.

I've never really agreed with the idea that Class B members somehow deserve less pay for a lack of bring Reg F - when they are doing a full time job.

Ayrsayle said:
Agree with you with regards to Class B Pay (if they are doing jobs in a Full time manner as the Reg Force, they should be getting paid the same).  I think the pay should be the same, but eligibility for PLD should not regardless of the move (as taking the contract what a choice, rather then a "posting", etc).

Disagree that Class B members work more then Reg F members.  I'd say it is underestimated just how much work is done at the average reserve unit by few people, but I've not seen much difference between Class B members and Reg F members in that environment.  Ditto to "more" responsibilities - a PRes Unit has less people covering off on duties, but they also are much less likely to need to execute those duties on a regular basis.

I've never really agreed with the idea that Class B members somehow deserve less pay for a lack of bring Reg F - when they are doing a full time job.

#Tangent

Very few people in the CAF understand pay, particularly all the elements that are part of the basic pay.  A very high-level overview of pay is at http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-overview.page

Ayrsayle said:

I would say everyone working at a Reserve unit full time be it Reg Force or Reserve tends on average to do more then a regular posting (having been on both sides of the fence I have a reasonable understanding of both sides). I have seen several Reg Force people broken by how much time is expected from them. The work also tends to be much more erratic, and there is no redundancies built in so if you don't do the work no one does. It also varies much from unit to unit. Some units drive there people into the ground, others are more reasonable.

Back