• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Release and education - Am I missing something?

Fusaki

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

-I'm leaving the Reg force on completion of my 2nd BE (6 years service) early next month.

-I'm in the process of transferring to the PRes.

-I been accepted to college in September. I paid my tuition fees last week.

-I just completed my BPSO and VAC out-clearance interviews

-I have not attended a SCAN seminar and to my knowledge there is no seminar being held before my release date.

My questions is this:

Isn't there something the CF can do to help me pay for school?  The BPSO said that I'm not entitled to anything unless I've done 10 years service.  VAC said that I'm not entitled to anything because I'm not medically releasing.

I do know that as a reservist I can apply to claim 50% of my tuition costs up to $2000 for 4 years.

I have to say, I'm feeling a little bummed out that the army doesn't seem to be willing to help me out with this.  All along I was sure that there were programs out there to help guys like me pay for school after leaving the Army.  While it's cool that being in the reserves will help eat up some of the costs of education, It's a little ghey that the reg force is leaving me hanging in the wind.

Am I missing something? I've been looking through this sub-forum and havn't come up with much.

Thanks!

Keep dogging the PSO shop. You should still be eligable to attend a SCAN seminar at some point. That's why SCAN exists.
If no joy there, go to the Warrior Support Center.

Wonderbread said:
I do know that as a reservist I can apply to claim 50% of my tuition costs up to $2000 for 4 years.

I have to say, I'm feeling a little bummed out that the army doesn't seem to be willing to help me out with this.  All along I was sure that there were programs out there to help guys like me pay for school after leaving the Army.  While it's cool that being in the reserves will help eat up some of the costs of education, It's a little ghey that the reg force is leaving me hanging in the wind.

I attended a SCAN Seminar in Oct 2004.  At the seminar it was stated that CF members could claim up to $2000 for each year served towards education reimbursement on Retiring, or something to that effect.  After 28 years, and retiring in Dec 2004, I thought I had it made.  Off to university and get another Degree.  Come 01 Jan 2005 and DND stopped all such programs. 

Join the Reserves and take the benefits that they are entitled to.  It seems the only way now.  At least you will get some fees returned.

See:

http://cda-acd.mil.ca/dli/engraph/services/er/programmes/scpreg_e.asp  (DWAN link)

for info on the program in place for Reg F NCMs retiring with 10+ years of service.

And:

http://cda-acd.mil.ca/dli/engraph/services/er/programmes/pres_e.asp  (DWAN link)

for info on the Reserve reimbursement program.

(In a former life I worked on some of the programs including the one George wrote about.  Suffice it to say there was a re-org, someone grabbed the programs, then chose to do other things with the resources)

Back