• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular or Reserve

Scratch_043

Reaction score
This is not so much a question, as looking for advice on what to decide.

I am 18 years old, and in the middle of my application papers, I have been, up untill now, ready to join the 31CER in waterloo(when it gets up and running) but have recently found myself wondering wether or not to just go for the regular engineers instead.

I am done highschool this year, and am not going to college next year. If I do end up going reserve, I will still have to get another job to pay for rent etc. but there is really nothing that I want to do other than the engineering.

On the other hand, going regular will take me away from home, and family and friends, while reserve will afford me the freedom to stay close to home, and allow me to stay involved in the community.

I have had family members and friends on both sides of the discussion, and have found it to be a dead heat, so I turn to you, the people of the forum, who have helped me, and others like me, to sort out their troubles down the road to the CF.

I just need someone to shed some light on the subject, contribute their experience and their knowledge, and give their opinion(or, if need be, give me a virtual slap to the back of the head :D )

If I could do it again, I would do a three year basic engagement in the Regular Force. After three years, if you want to go to college, get out and join a reserve unit. Not only will you make a bit of cash for college (if you save) in the regs, but you‘ll gain alot of experience and maturity to prepare you for the rigors of post-secondary study.

On the plus side, if you go reg force, you‘ll have a full time job with the possibility for advancement. If you go reserve, you‘re basically taking an entry-level position and you‘re uneducated. Which means you can still get a decent job, but without any formal training, you‘re limiting yourself.

for myself, I am college student and heading to nursing program for degree. As there are many people want to get in, end up a long waiting list. I have to wait 2 years to start studying my nursing.

Since I know that I have to wait 2 years, I decided to join army reserve to be a medic. I have applied, and done all the testes, interview. And now I am waiting for the security check.

I have school (taking electives), also I have a part time job. Besides, for the nursing program, CF can support my tuition fee. As the result, I applied for reserve. When I get my nursing degree, I will apply to be nursing officer.

I am not sure is this help.

Reserves is not a full time job. If you don‘t know what you want to do aside from the reserves, you may as well do a 3 year engagment, and throw everything you‘ve got into the one interest you‘ve expressed so far. After 3 years, you‘ll be 21, with a little cash, and plenty of time to go back to school or start a different career and join reserves, or stay in the regs, etc.

Family and friends are great, and they‘ll still be there when you go home on leave. There‘s more to see in the world than Waterloo, so you may as well get out and start seeing it.

I always regretted not going reg force at 18. I‘m now 21 and going reg force. School will always be there to return to when you finish a contract and wish to go back to studying so why not give it a try.

Thanks guys, I apreciate the advice, and I now feel more confident about the decision to go regular force.

One more question, when I leave the regs, will I be given a better acknowledgement for admission to college(ie. life experience) or will I still have to do prep courses etc. before I am accepted. My highschool marks are not the greatest, and I was wondering if an experience like the military would help. I know that for some trades, they look for post-secondary proir to admission into the forces, but I am unsure about what qualifications the forces give for school.

Thanks again.

Take the time to upgrade your skills while in the Reg Force. The base MFRC will have a guy who deals with part-time education for serving members. That way, if you still want to go to college after 3 years, your house will be in order.

Basically, you will still need the courses. Mil service won‘t generally have a bearing on your application.

However, that being said, you would likely be able to qualify under different post-secondary entry plans, which tend to be more lenient in regards to your prior academic performance. The plan I am specifically refering to is the mature student category. Take a look at a few post-secondary sites under their admissions categories and look for "Mature Student". Under this category a school will often take into consideration your life achievements by means of a personal essay and/or an interview, in addition to a couple of uni entrance courses from high school. Hope this helps.

Isn‘t there a plan in the military where you can use $5,000 dollars towards tuition at college/university any time in your first 5 years in your military career and then $1,000 more for every year after the 5 years? So if you stay in 3 years and don‘t like it, you can apply that money towards college or university tuition. Someone can clarify that one, but I remember hearing something about that. Also, your military experience will give you life experiences none of your buddies will have, you will learn a trade that can possibly be translated to the civilian world with little or no additional training and you will have a good paying job for the balance of your military career.

Catch 22 for me. I regret not joining the regular force when i was 17 because of the steady income i could have had, the challanging courses i could have taken and the rank and time now lost.

I do really like what i‘ve learned in the reserves, having been on many different taskings doing many different jobs and being able to get away from the army life whenever i wanted.

There is money to be found in the reserves too, in the last four years i‘ve been away overseas or on a course/tasking for atleast two and three quarters of a year to three years.

Hello!
If you enjoy the Reserves , stay with them . I started as a Reservist (Infantry) , in Oct. 71 , then joined the Regs (Armored) , in Nov. 73 , and still serving. The Reserves prepared me for the Regs , especially , in the area of physical fitness. I am at the W.A.T.C , in Wainwright , I taught on numerous Reserve courses , from recruits to officers . I have a great deal of respect for the Reserves , I have met alot of good people both as Instructors and as Students . When I decide to retire , I am looking at the S.A.L.H. in Edomton. A proud Regiment , with alot of good people.

Hey. I‘ve been thinking about what I want to do, what I can do, and where I‘m going to go.

Originally, I was in college and was going to enlist in the Army Reserves (R031), and do that till I get through college, and then possibly transfer to the Reg Force.

Now, I‘m leaving college (I did REALLY bad this last semester. Really bad as in I failed every class. Yeah, that bad. However, I was thinking of not continuing in the course anyways, so not much has changed).

I‘m going to take some time off to figure out what I want to do, and to put enough time between this last semester and the next school I go to (so I can qualify as a "Mature Student" and not have to hand in my last transcript).

So, I need a job. I‘m thinking of going full time as a Signal Operator.

I‘m figuring that this will help me with paying off my OSAP and saving some to put towards whatever I do next, education wise.

So, am I crazy, am I dreamin‘( am I marryin a demon.)(points to those who reccognize what that‘s from), or is it a half-way decent idea?

I think Sig Op is a good idea. Three years and a steady paycheck sound ok to you? What were you taking in college and what do you want to do next time?

I was taking software engineering, but I rushed into it. I was taking woodworking, and ended up not liking it, and within a month, I decided on and applied to a software Engineering program. However, I remembered why I didn‘t do Software Engineering in the first place.

It‘s not that I don‘t like computers (I love computers), it‘s just that S.E. wasn‘t where I wanted to go with it.

Now, I‘m thinking on going into a Recorded Music Production course at the Recording Arts Canada school.

So, my main question is should I take the chance and go right into the Reg Force, or should I find a day job (or two) and join the reserves?

Wow Jonsey, I was in software engineering at mohawk as well (I‘m assuming you‘re talking Mohawk since you‘re from Hamilton).

I‘m a sig op with the 705 being sworn in tomorrow. I was extremely frustrated with our 2nd semester of S.E. as well, it had me wanting to change my application to the reg forces.

I‘m thinking of switching to Network Admin (shorter program) and xfer‘ing to reg force with my sig op qualifications in a couple years once i have that diploma.

Yeah, it‘s Mohawk. I‘ve got an appointment with one of the Carreer Councilors tomorow, just to see if they can help me figure out what I want to do.

I‘m going to fill out my application tomorow, and see if I can get my transcripts and references by next week. Then, the only thing I need to worry about is my physical fitness, which ain‘t quite the best in the world.

If you‘ve got nothing else on your plate go reg.
You‘ll get all your training through the forces, a steady paycheck and three square a day. And if you should decide not to make a career out of it you‘ll be surprised at the doors that swing open for you on civvie street.
I‘ve done all three and hands down the reg force is the best. Even after being a civvie for the last 17 years I‘m in the process of re enlisting in the reserves. I‘d go reg if it wasn‘t for the good paying full time job i have. But even with that I find the lure of regular army life calling me back.

Currently I am a reservist in the engineers, and a student. The army will pay up to $2000 of your tuition a year as a reservist. I would say do the reserves until you finish your college, and then go reg force. At that time you will be 21, and a lot more mature, and can make a more informed decision. College is a fun time, and you will not fully appreciate it if you go back after the reg force. Coming back from the army after three years, and then trying to fit in with 18 year olds straight out of high school that have never left their mommies is not going to be  easy. Go to school, be a reservist, graduate then go reg force. You will have a huge leg up on all the other new guys there, and a degree in your pocket.

Back