• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
For RMC:
Students who complete secondary school through education systems outside of Canada or through "home" schooling will be considered individually but will be required to meet the equivalent standards to those indicated for the Canadian Education System. All applicants must possess the equivalent of a high school diploma. Additionally, students must offer acceptable results in the Scholastic Aptitude Tests (SATs) as follows:
http://www.rmc.ca/adm/nces-senc-eng.php

For the CF
To apply to the Canadian Forces you must have passed Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec). However, a number of the jobs available require high school diplomas, college certificates, or university degrees. 
The Canadian Forces will consider applicants who have passed a General Education Development (GED) test. However, applicants from Quebec who have a GED must also have the necessary credits from Secondaire IV.
If you have been home-schooled, you will need to provide proof from your home province’s educational authority that your marks have been assessed and meet their standards.
http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#education

I was home schooled my entire life, and this fall I will be heading to Kingston as a pilot in the ROTP program.

This is how I met the requirements:
1. My homeschooling curriculum already required that I take a SAT reasoning test to graduate.
2. I received a US high school diploma from the school that administered my curriculum.
3. I took the subject SATs that RMC requested I take.

If you have any questions about the process or what you can do to help, just ask!

What's up everyone I am going to be applying to RMC this coming fall for the second straight year.

Last year I applied, but was rejected mainly because I did not have well enough grades and I did not do well on the aptitude test.

This year I buckled down and became more attentive to my academics

This coming fall I may be attending Queens University (still waiting to hear from them)

Application info so far (This includes sports, school marks, jobs, volunteer work):

Sports: 2012 HS AAA Soccer; 2010 HS AAA Hockey; 2013 HS AAA Rugby

School marks: I graduate this summer with Division 1 Honours (75%-84%). Not the greatest marks, I know, but hopefully my other work will compensate for the lack of percentage.

Jobs: For the past two years I have been a referee for minor hockey in NB.

Volunteer work: I was I reading tutor to a Grade nine student in English.

Additional Comments/ Info:

I have spoken to the Queens baseball coach and I will be doing volunteer work there regardless of my acceptance at Queens.

I do not have more high level experience in high school hockey because I had to quit due to financial reasons.

I will also be getting a part or full time job once I move Kingston next month because I consider my job experience as my most significant weakness.

I will also be playing Soccer and maybe hockey for intramurals at Queens.

I need some advice what I can do and what you guys think. Do I deserve some attention from RMC?

Thank You

teabag87 said:
I need some advice what I can do and what you guys think.

Bulk up on extra curriculars and get your grades up. That's about the only thing you can do. However, you most likely already knew that but just wanted someone else to tell you that for some reason.

teabag87 said:
Do I deserve some attention from RMC?

You'd have to define what you mean by attention. Everyone who applies and passes the initial application (academic prerequisites; CFAT; interview; medical) will have their application looked over. So in that respect, yes, you are getting attention from the board.

I just heard back from Queens and they told me I was "unsuccessful for Admissions". So now my goal is to take a couple classes at St. Lawrence College and prove to RMC that my grades can increase.

I probably should have gotten into the specifics of "getting attention from RMC". What I meant was last year I was ineligible to attend based on my transcripts, but they also said I was eligible to attend a civilian university with all the additional incentives RMC offers.

Are recreational sports considered as a good extra curricular activity at RMC? EX: Could I join a men's hockey league? (same as soccer)

Thanks for your help

First year starting in the fall of 2013. Studying business admin and training as an arty officer. Probably going to try to OT to infantry though.

How many of those applicants get accepted to RMC and how many get accepted threw Civi universities?

I am not sure of the exact number in terms of the whole of Canada. However at my swearing in ceremony in Halifax, they stated that 1210 applied, but only 28 of which got accepted, within the Atlantics. This works out to be around 2.5% of people getting accepted.

As for civilian universities, I have no idea on these particular numbers, but I would imagine it would be less, as they are obviously going to fill up their own schools before filling up another.

blcbandit said:
  As for civilian universities, I have no idea on these particular numbers, but I would imagine it would be less, as they are obviously going to fill up their own schools before filling up another.

Not necessarily the case.  ROTP is the overarching program,. which may be via MilCol or Civvy U; certain programs are not available through MilCol and therefore 100% of successful applicants in those fields will be directed to civvy U.

Ignore my last posts; this is my revamped resume (if you will) for RMC. I just want to know what you guys think (especially people who have been accepted to RMC in the past) and how competitive is my application so far? Last year I applied, but was rejected mainly because I did not have well enough grades and I did not do well on the aptitude test. This year I buckled down and became more attentive to my academics.

Application info so far (This includes sports, school marks, jobs, volunteer work):

Sports: 2012 HS AAA Soccer; 2010 HS AAA Hockey; 2013 HS AAA Rugby

School marks: I graduate this summer with Division 1 Honours (75%-84%). Not the greatest marks, I know, but hopefully my other work will compensate for the lack of percentage.

Jobs: For the past two years I have been a referee for minor hockey in NB.

Volunteer work: I was I reading tutor to a Grade nine student in English. In grade nine I helped coach my brother’s peewee hockey team. Also in that same year, I was a temporary timekeeper (3-4 months) for hockey. I also did a lot of fundraising for the sports teams that I played for.

I would also like to point out the jobs I am applying for in order:                                1) Infantry Officer
        2) Armoured Officer
                                                                                                                              3) Military Police Officer

I am applying for ROTP. I am hoping to major in French, Military and Strategic Studies, and/or History.

Look forward to hearing your opinions

blcbandit said:
I am not sure of the exact number in terms of the whole of Canada. However at my swearing in ceremony in Halifax, they stated that 1210 applied, but only 28 of which got accepted, within the Atlantics. This works out to be around 2.5% of people getting accepted.

1210 applied for ROTP?  It''s more like 3,000+.......acceptance rate is roughly 15% in total.

DAA said:
1210 applied for ROTP?  It''s more like 3,000+.......acceptance rate is roughly 15% in total.

Well, there goes my confidence of getting accepted. :'(

Sorry for some of the grammar errors. I must have miss-typed. :facepalm:

teabag87 said:
What occupation do most ROTP applicants apply for?

Does it matter?  You need to apply for a trade that you're interested in...

I'm just curious because most people (from the info I gathered) seem to apply for Engineering of some sort. I already have picked my choices which have nothing to do with Engineering because I am weak at math.

teabag87 said:
What occupation do most ROTP applicants apply for?

I believe pilot is the most competitive, but like Moe said, apply for something that you're interested in. The rest is irrelevant.

I can't apply for any Engineering or pilot and that sort of stuff because of my vision and, as I said earlier, my math skills. I wanted to find out how competitive the combat arms trades are for Officer.

From what I've heard the combat arms job are usually very popular, but definitly give it a shot, they definitly don't require math/science related degrees. Also, Engineer Officer is current in demand according to the forces website, so i would guess that it will have a high acceptance rate. However you aren't interested in engineering so I guess it's relevant, but I thought I'd just point it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back