• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

  • Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
191
Points
930
daygray said:
In the event of being accepted into the ROTP program, am I responsible for flight expenses to the Royal Military College of Canada or is this also covered by the Crown?

For reference, perhaps,

Travel Expenses to RMCC 

will be merged with,

Royal Military College of Canada (RMC)
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/23377.450.html
19 pages.
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
daygray said:
I have done extensive research regarding this topic, but wasn't able to find a solid statement that answered my question.

In the event of being accepted into the ROTP program, am I responsible for flight expenses to the Royal Military College of Canada or is this also covered by the Crown?

If you are fortunate enough to be made an offer of employment by the CAF, you will be enrolled prior to commencing travel to RMC and or anywhere else for training.  Therefore, as a member of the CAF, your itinerary and expenses for travel will be managed and either paid upfront or reimbursed by the CAF based on current travel regulations.

You won't be out of pocket.
 

daygray

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DAA said:
If you are fortunate enough to be made an offer of employment by the CAF, you will be enrolled prior to commencing travel to RMC and or anywhere else for training.  Therefore, as a member of the CAF, your itinerary and expenses for travel will be managed and either paid upfront or reimbursed by the CAF based on current travel regulations.

You won't be out of pocket.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the quick response.
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Deadpoetic6 said:
So, I passed my CFAT (sept. 13)  and then submitted my files to the RMC (sept. 16) via the link they sent me by email. If I understand your answer, I won't have any news until september 2017?
Thanks

Unless things have changed this year, you normally upload your transcripts to the RMC Portal shortly after applying online and well before writing the CFAT.  The Academic Assessment of your transcripts undergo two levels of review and you and/or your Recruiting Detachment would normally have an answer back within 7-10 business days, if not sooner.

At this time, I'd recommend that you contact Recruiting Customer Service through the email link available on their website under the heading "I need assistance with my application".  Be sure to include your full name (that you applied with), date of birth, home address and telephone number in your email, so they can identify you properly and look into the matter.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

 

Deadpoetic6

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DAA said:
Unless things have changed this year, you normally upload your transcripts to the RMC Portal shortly after applying online and well before writing the CFAT.  The Academic Assessment of your transcripts undergo two levels of review and you and/or your Recruiting Detachment would normally have an answer back within 7-10 business days, if not sooner.

At this time, I'd recommend that you contact Recruiting Customer Service through the email link available on their website under the heading "I need assistance with my application".  Be sure to include your full name (that you applied with), date of birth, home address and telephone number in your email, so they can identify you properly and look into the matter.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

Thanks for the infos! Submitted an email, we'll see what's happening!
 

ZeiGezunt

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey there, I'm an ROTP civi u cadet who went through the RMC application process, and I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions about the process they might have.
 

CanPatr

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ZeiGezunt said:
Hey there, I'm an ROTP civi u cadet who went through the RMC application process, and I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions about the process they might have.

Hi ZeiGezunt
How long after the interview did you have to wait to get merit listed, and/or accepted.

I just completed the interview last week.

Thanks in advance!
 

Deadpoetic6

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Everyone that got accepted after college, what was your mathematics average? I have 89% average and got refused because it's too low.
 

ZeiGezunt

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
CanPatr said:
Hi ZeiGezunt
How long after the interview did you have to wait to get merit listed, and/or accepted.

I just completed the interview last week.

Thanks in advance!

I was never notified when I was merit listed, but I called about two-three weeks after the interview and was told I was merit listed.

As for being accepted, I had to wait to August for my own acceptance, but they start coming as early as January and continue until just before September.
 

jyk608

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ClassicOCdt said:
I am currently a 1st year student at RMC. And I am very willing to help anyone who is applying this year.

So if you guys have any questions concerning everything, throw at me and I will be glad to answer  :)

Hello.

After getting admitted to RMC, what do you have to do before studying at RMC?

I heard you have to go through some military training and orientation.

Would you be able to explain about those?

Thank you.
 

ClassicOCdt

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
jyk608 said:
Hello.

After getting admitted to RMC, what do you have to do before studying at RMC?

I heard you have to go through some military training and orientation.

Would you be able to explain about those?

Thank you.

After you are accepted, you go through the Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ). You do 7 weeks of BMOQ Module 1 before going to RMC, and then module 2 after finishing 1st year at RMC.

Module 1, you will get used to a routine (wake up at 5am and sleep at 11pm), drill practice, classes, weapons safety handling, weapons firing practice, sewing all your kit, first-aid, homework, 5km-8km-13km rucksack march, CBRN drill (Chemical-bio-radiation-nuclear), inspection, PT, and so on. Also there is a leadership position called CPC (Candidate-Platoon-Commander) that each person will assume this position per day taking turns. You will listen to your instructor, get to know the schedule of the day, and command the platoon. It is a good time to evaluate your leadership.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab1  <---pretty much all the infos are in the website.


When I look back after finishing BMOQ mod 1, it was easier than I initially thought before joining the forces. Yes I was stressful when I was doing BMOQ mod 1, but I just took it one at a time. When you simply do what you are told to do, do homework, and get help from your peers, it will be just fine.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
 

Jotzam

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello everyone!

I have just submitted my application, and I eagerly await the transcript submission process. (I fear it a little, too.  :blotto:)

Just a little about myself,

I have been a member of these forums for the past year or so, but have been "observing" for the past 6 years. I was a member of the Royal Canadian Dragoons as a Crewman from 2010 to 2013, and these forums were a great resource throughout my application process at that point.

When my contract was nearing expiry, I made the decision to head back to school and start another adventure. I loved all of my time in the forces, but I was young and had little other life experience. I wanted to experience the non-military life for a while and knew the military would always be there if I wanted to apply to serve again.

Fast forward 3 years and I am a little older, married, and nearing completion of a 3 year advanced diploma in Software Development. (The program is called "Computer Programmer Analyst".)

I have worked multiple jobs as a software developer through co-ops, and remained employed today on a part-time basis by an employer who hired me on after a co-op.

After a few years of working in the software industry (and working in general beforehand), I truly miss the military. The lifestyle, the challenges, and the knowledge that at the end of the day, you are serving the people of this wonderful country, and that every ounce of effort that you put into your role, is ultimately for the benefit of many.

With my wife's full support, I have decided that a career within the military is the right fit for who I am, and who I want to continue to be. (Hopefully others feel that way too throughout the process!  :p)

I have applied for the positions of Pilot and Air Combat Systems Officer.

I did very poorly in high school, and lack the high school marks required. However, after searching and reading the forums for many hours, I have found a glimmer of hope in a few examples of applicants in a similar situation that had previous service (and other relevant life/work experience), fantastic post-secondary marks, and were approved. I have maintained a high GPA and have made deans honor role each semester for the last 3 years, so I am hoping that the selection board will find me to be sufficiently academic, and will overlook my high school shortcomings. Furthermore, my college program has many articulation agreements with various universities that allow me entrance with advanced standing into 2nd year with no additional admission requirements. I'm not sure if that counts for anything in their eyes as I am first and foremost applying to RMCC, but at least I know I can gain admission to civilian universities from this diploma alone. I do also volunteer at my college, and have worked as a peer tutor to help mentor other students. 

If worst comes to worst and my high school grades shut me down, I will just continue to work for a year and upgrade those required courses and try again!

Wrapping up, I wish everyone the absolute best in their applications and (hopefully) subsequent military careers.

If anyone wants to chat about, well, anything really, feel free to shoot me a PM!

I will post updates of my progress (or lack thereof) as I go.

Cheers everyone and good luck!
 

jyk608

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ClassicOCdt said:
After you are accepted, you go through the Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ). You do 7 weeks of BMOQ Module 1 before going to RMC, and then module 2 after finishing 1st year at RMC.

Module 1, you will get used to a routine (wake up at 5am and sleep at 11pm), drill practice, classes, weapons safety handling, weapons firing practice, sewing all your kit, first-aid, homework, 5km-8km-13km rucksack march, CBRN drill (Chemical-bio-radiation-nuclear), inspection, PT, and so on. Also there is a leadership position called CPC (Candidate-Platoon-Commander) that each person will assume this position per day taking turns. You will listen to your instructor, get to know the schedule of the day, and command the platoon. It is a good time to evaluate your leadership.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab1  <---pretty much all the infos are in the website.


When I look back after finishing BMOQ mod 1, it was easier than I initially thought before joining the forces. Yes I was stressful when I was doing BMOQ mod 1, but I just took it one at a time. When you simply do what you are told to do, do homework, and get help from your peers, it will be just fine.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!



Thank you! I appreciate it very much!
 

Titicboom

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Greetings

Rather then starting a new thread I wanted to keep this one alive and growing.

Is the first Interview at the CFRC the same plus or minus some leadership questions for all people applying.

My son has spent hours prepping for AC Op and was ready to go.  Did the start of the interview and had it terminated so he can apply to ROTP through the Junior path.

So to prepare again for this new interview would it be the same approach as it was for his NCM interview.

The old threads are all over the place talking about changes and lengths as high as 2 hours and as short as 10 minutes.

Would the prep sheet that has floated around on this forum be sufficient no matter what you are applying for?

Expand on your information supplied in the application
Understand the training
Understand the MOC you are applying for
Explain why you want to be in the military and those MOC's
what are possibly the downsides of the MOC's
And for Officer programs: Clearly give examples of leadership qualities you have shown.


Would that plus or minus cover it?

 

Titicboom

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Greetings

Any Officers out there that have done the Junior path through St Jean, then on to the 4 years at RMC?

Please PM or contact me.

 

CanPatr

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JonathanB said:
Hey!

There is a specific summer training progression that you get streamed into once you arrive at RMC depending on your trade and you level of bilingualism.

Prior to arriving at RMC you will have already completed BMOQ-MOD 1.
The 1st summer (after 1st year), you will be completing BMOQ-MOD 2 then be doing a 5 week OJE (On the job experience). This year the OJE for first year include, opposition force, outdoor leadership training, working at a CFRC, and french training.
The 2nd summer you will be completing summer long  second language training. However if you have already achieved a BBB profile or higher, you will skip SLT and complete BMOQ-L in Gagetown.
For your 3rd summer you will complete BMOQ-L, or if you are bilingual then you will do DP1.1 for artillery.
For your 4th summer (after graduation and promotion to 2Lt) you will go complete DP 1.1 then DP1.2, or go straight to DP1.2 if bilingual.

Therefore if you know French or learn it fast, you have the potential of graduating RMC with having already done half of your trade training. But at the very least you will have completed your environemental training course.

In regards to what you have heard about non-occupational training, it is partially correct. For those cadets whose occupational trainning course are longer than what the summer period allows for (Air Force and billingual Navy Cadets), they complete summer long OJEs. The OJEs are varied and chage from year to year, but Cadets can get actual CF qualifications over the summers (for example become a Ship Team's Diver).

If you have any more question about RMC don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to get you answers (I'm currently at RMC).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Does anyone know what specific on the job training there is for infantry and armour officers.
As well what are DP1.1 and DP1.2?

Thanks in advance

:mg: :tank2:
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
CanPatr said:
Does anyone know what specific on the job training there is for infantry and armour officers.
As well what are DP1.1 and DP1.2?

OJT is what it is but don't expect to be doing anything other than minor "staff" duties for the most part.

As far as the Developmental Process, here you go and hope you can figure this out on your own.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5031-8.page
 

JacobPayne17

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've been trying to completely prepare for the RMC. I've read literally everything online, and am now in the best shape of my life. I'm prepared for everything from the discipline to the relative isolation from my friends and family. I've just been wondering if they are any "unwritten rules" or anything that a graduate can tell me now that you won't find anywhere else, so I don't have to learn it to hard (and probably extremely embarrassing) way. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
525
Points
940
If I were a cynical, sarcastic man, I'd say that said "embarrassing, hard" lessons will be the way you're remembered decades later, in good fun on your retirement Depart With Dignity. 

We've all been there, whether we've been in RMC or not.  You'll screw up somewhere and be remembered that way.  Relax.

But I'm not a cynic, nor sarcastic. 
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top