• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just finished my interview and medical. All went very good, my interviewer said that I was very competitive.
He gave me some stats ;

This year they got 490 Pilot application, from the beginning, so cut some people at CFAT, interview, Pilot test and aircrew medical  and I think we will be less than a hundred applicant for the final selection.

They take 48 Pilot this year. For ASCO; 75 applicant, they take 18

I think they are good number. Do your best gentlemen, by the way if I remember correctly they sit for selection on March 21 or 25. I think the offer will get out at the same time of last year, Mid April.

Recruiting Center: Quebec city
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Junior ROTP
Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: Air Combat Systems Officer
Application Date: November 4, 2011 ----------------------- November 2
First Contact: November 14, 2011 -------------------------- ??
CFAT: November 29, 2011 - completed --------------------- No need to redo
Interview: December 20. 2011 - completed --------------- Completed Frebruary 18
Medical: December 20, 2011 completed --------------------- Completed Frebruary 18; need to do urine and blood test + Full eyes check
Aircrew Selection  : January 30th to February 3rd -- completed ------ No need to redo
Aircrew medical : February 2, Done ------------------------------ No need to redo just an update of Eyes, urine and blood.
ACSO exam : Done and complete by February 27. ---------- No need to redo
Selected for Pilot : Had to refuse for family reason. (April 2012)

Good luck for everybody

nic32 said:
Hi guys,

Just finished my interview and medical. All went very good, my interviewer said that I was very competitive.
He gave me some stats ;

This year they got 490 Pilot application, from the beginning, so cut some people at CFAT, interview, Pilot test and aircrew medical  and I think we will be less than a hundred applicant for the final selection.

They take 48 Pilot this year. For ASCO; 75 applicant, they take 18

I think they are good number. Do your best gentlemen, by the way if I remember correctly they sit for selection on March 21 or 25. I think the offer will get out at the same time of last year, Mid April.

Recruiting Center: Quebec city
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Junior ROTP
Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: Air Combat Systems Officer
Application Date: November 4, 2011 ----------------------- November 2
First Contact: November 14, 2011 -------------------------- ??
CFAT: November 29, 2011 - completed --------------------- No need to redo
Interview: December 20. 2011 - completed --------------- Completed Frebruary 18
Medical: December 20, 2011 completed --------------------- Completed Frebruary 18; need to do urine and blood test + Full eyes check
Aircrew Selection  : January 30th to February 3rd -- completed ------ No need to redo
Aircrew medical : February 2, Done ------------------------------ No need to redo just an update of Eyes, urine and blood.
ACSO exam : Done and complete by February 27. ---------- No need to redo
Selected for Pilot : Had to refuse for family reason. (April 2012)

Good luck for everybody

When you say the recruiters received 490 pilot applications, he only meant from that specific recruitment centre yes? Because as far as I know there are hundreds of recruitment centres all over the nation and if there were 490 applications from the entire country those are some amazing odds! Just making sure.

There aren't hundreds of recruiting centres across the nation, there's only a handful around the country. As for how many people applied, don't worry about it, just focus on bettering yourself for your applcation.

Globemaster77 said:
When you say the recruiters received 490 pilot applications, he only meant from that specific recruitment centre yes? Because as far as I know there are hundreds of recruitment centres all over the nation and if there were 490 applications from the entire country those are some amazing odds! Just making sure.

490 Pilot application nationwide. Then you have people who get cut at the CFAT, interview, pilot selection, aircrew medical; and I think that less than an hundred will reach the merit list !

Like Cui said dont worry about the number just do your best

nic32 said:
490 Pilot application nationwide. Then you have people who get cut at the CFAT, interview, pilot selection, aircrew medical; and I think that less than an hundred will reach the merit list !

Wow, alright that's a surprise to me. I was expecting a higher total number of applicants. Especially for pilot since it's the most popular trade choice for ROTP.

The number of applicants doesn't matter. There could be thousands, but at the end of the day, all that matters is that you are one of the best in the XX number of spots available for your trade.

If you applied for Pilot and they're taking 13 people, then you better not be number 14 or else you'll be disappointed my friends.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic because I saw so many last year falter under the presumption that they thought they had their position locked down.

Good luck to you all and I hope to see ALL of you here next year!

FirstYear said:
The number of applicants doesn't matter.

Let's be honest here. The number of applicants really does make a difference. If there are 10 positions and 15 applicants, your chances are greater than 50%. However, if the number of applicants increases to 150, then that's a whole different story. I can completely understand why people might get a tad anxious over the numbers.

SeR said:
Let's be honest here. The number of applicants really does make a difference. If there are 10 positions and 15 applicants, your chances are greater than 50%. However, if the number of applicants increases to 150, then that's a whole different story. I can completely understand why people might get a tad anxious over the numbers.

Agreed friend. But I think what he's saying is that numbers shouldn't matter to you, if you are competitive and if you truly are passionate about this then you will somehow find a way. Yes, numbers do matter and yes, a smaller number of applicants will improve your odds.

Yes, 490 for the year isn't that bad tho. I was expecting it to be much higher. With the people failing the initial screening processes I'd estimate that there is probably 150 people competing for the 40-50 spots. Almost a 30% chance!

Mind with my background in flying, and my families history in the military I may or may not have a leg up. Plus I was adamant about making this my career and not a 7 year and I'm out thing.

The only down side is I may not make it this year since I'm still waiting for Ottawa to clear my medical file and do the CAPPS. The recruiter said that if I did miss it I would still be considered for Armored Officer, and since I wait the year out anyway I could ask to be re-tryed for pilot selections next year. Not sure if that's true or not but hey.

Daishi said:
Yes, 490 for the year isn't that bad tho. I was expecting it to be much higher. With the people failing the initial screening processes I'd estimate that there is probably 150 people competing for the 40-50 spots. Almost a 30% chance!

Mind with my background in flying, and my families history in the military I may or may not have a leg up. Plus I was adamant about making this my career and not a 7 year and I'm out thing.

The only down side is I may not make it this year since I'm still waiting for Ottawa to clear my medical file and do the CAPPS. The recruiter said that if I did miss it I would still be considered for Armored Officer, and since I wait the year out anyway I could ask to be re-tryed for pilot selections next year. Not sure if that's true or not but hey.

That's an ~30% chance if it's a random sample being drawn from the frame of the applicants drawn from the screening process. However, those who demonstrate skills, experience, higher scores, and credentials have a chance higher than ~30% and those who lack some of those criteria have a lesser chance.

Daishi said:

"Family history" plays such an insignificant part in the determination of who gets into the military that if you didn't mention it to anyone at the recruiting centre or in your application, odds are, your standing on the review board wouldn't change by a hair (unless of course your father was the CDS or something of that sort).

As well, unless your intentions are to stay in the Forces until your contract is up, and you let your interviewer aware of this, it has to be assumed that everyone who is applying for a career in the CF is in it for more than "a 7 year and I'm out thing."

Conz said:
That's an ~30% chance if it's a random sample being drawn from the frame of the applicants drawn from the screening process. However, those who demonstrate skills, experience, higher scores, and credentials have a chance higher than ~30% and those who lack some of those criteria have a lesser chance.

Let's just say we extrapolate your equation even further.  So if there were 48 positions and 490 applicants for ROTP Pilot.  At first glance, it would make sense that 1 in 10 would make it.  But then only 150 of those make it to the merit listing process, so the odds change again.  48 are selected for RMC and then lets say only 40 of those 48 graduate from RMC.  Then only 10 of those 48 make it through flight school and go on to a unit.  So that would make the chances of "actually" being a Pilot in CF "1 in 50" based on the rate of applicants to the rate of actually getting behind the controls of an aircraft.

DAA said:
Let's just say we extrapolate your equation even further.  So if there were 48 positions and 490 applicants for ROTP Pilot.  At first glance, it would make sense that 1 in 10 would make it.  But then only 150 of those make it to the merit listing process, so the odds change again.  48 are selected for RMC and then lets say only 40 of those 48 graduate from RMC.  Then only 10 of those 48 make it through flight school and go on to a unit.  So that would make the chances of "actually" being a Pilot in CF "1 in 50" based on the rate of applicants to the rate of actually getting behind the controls of an aircraft.

Nice extrapolation, DAA. You have provided a clear breakdown for those who like to consider their "odds" of being accepted.

i hate how people go on this and act like they know whether or not people are going to get an offer....its up to the selection board pers and thats that

stop trying to figure out percentages and say whether one thing gives you an advantage over another. its all just a matter of time and in april people will start finding out if they made it or not....

thank you

eggert said:
i hate how people go on this and act like they know whether or not people are going to get an offer....

Would you be ever so kind to PROVIDE AN EXAMPLE where someone on this thread has acted "like they know whether or not people are going to get an offer"?

eggert said:
stop trying to figure out percentages and say whether one thing gives you an advantage over another.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with talking statistics. If you don't like reading it, simply don't.

Is this the same as any of the other three degree's and can be applied with the Regular Officer Training Plan?

It's a standard BA. What differentiates it from other degrees is that since there is no coded independent set of courses for military sciences, the program is a mix of politics, history and psychology courses.

nic32 said:

From what I was told (3 different recruiters in Ottawa) the number was over 3000 for Pilot.  Pilot is the most applied for trade offered by the Canadian Forces.  Therefore the most competitive with only ~50 spots open this year. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back