• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regarding Formation Badges.

Choquette

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently a civvie/cadet speaking, with little knowledge on the *actual* Canadian Forces dress regs.

Just curious, I have no real reason for knowing other than that, is the Formation Badge usually worn on your DEU? Apparently the Calgary Highlanders do, but on other members' DEU, I can't seem to notice them wearing their Formation Badge. Is it up to the Commanding Officer of the Brigade Group? I tried a search, couldn't find any information on the subject. If there is information on this subject elsewhere, a redirect would be much appreciated! Thanks.  :)

If you belong to an organization that is authorized to wear a certain Command badge, you wear it - provided you can get it, I know awhile ago people had trouble getting Land Force Command badges.

Interesting. How about Formation Badges? Like, these little thingies here that would normally go on your right sleeve?

Choquette said:
Interesting. How about Formation Badges? Like, these little thingies here that would normally go on your right sleeve?

Bde patches will go on the Right.  Div patches on the Left.

If you are a member of the brigade, you wear the brigade patch on the right sleeve - Not sure what the rules are for RCAF and RCN pers who are in a brigade unit(I don't remember if they wore them or not as it wasn't something I paid attention to).

Not all CF pers will belong to a brigade, so they don't wear a brigade patch on the right sleeve.  AFAIK, the Army will eventually be giving out division patches, and I assume they would be worn on the left sleeve.

-Skeletor- said:
If you are a member of the brigade, you wear the brigade patch on the right sleeve - Not sure what the rules are for RCAF and RCN pers who are in a brigade unit.

Not all CF pers will belong to a brigade, so they don't wear a brigade patch on the right sleeve.  AFAIK, the Army will eventually be giving out division patches, and I assume they would be worn on the left sleeve.

Except for the PPCLI, who for the 18 months of the year of their centennial will wear two divisional patches.

dapaterson said:
Except for the PPCLI, who for the 18 months of the year of their centennial will wear two divisional patches.

Just get it over with ;D

dapaterson said:

Really?  You had to go there?  ;D

To be fair, I'm guessing the PPCLI have elected to have an 18 month centennial year based on sound medical advice - spreading the parties over 18 months might lessen the liver damage...

If one is part of Div HQ or Div troops, will they wear the Div Patch on both sleeves?

... I would also like to propose a rainbow patch for LFDTS.  Those poor fellows are missing out on so much uniform bling.

:p

Honestly, I'd much rather wear brigade patches on both arms.

Who the frig thought Grey was a colour for a military division!? I'd rather be purple because it ties back to regality.

MCG said:
If one is part of Div HQ or Div troops, will they wear the Div Patch on both sleeves?

... I would also like to propose a rainbow patch for LFDTS.  Those poor fellows are missing out on so much uniform bling.

:p

I'm pondering whether I should wear both the 1 Div and 4 Div patches on my uniform, as my unit belongs to both. Maybe one on each arm....

dapaterson said:

I think you are confusing the Red traditional PPCLI clothe shoulder titles with the French Grey 3 Can Div patch that everyone out west will eventually wear.  I'm with 1 PPCLI and have heard nothing of wearing more than this.

George Wallace said:
Bde patches will go on the Right.  Div patches on the Left.

Actually tradition has it the other way around, the senior formation patch always goes on the right.  But the CA has made an exception for the new Div patches to safe tailoring costs. 

Old EO Tech said:
But the CA has made an exception for the new Div patches to safe tailoring costs.

They would save more money in tailor fees if they do not bother withdrawing a patch on every uniform.

Rider Pride said:
They would save more money in tailor fees if they do not bother withdrawing a patch on every uniform.

New DEUs to have Velcro patches on sleeves to facilitate changing Bde and Div patches on posting.    >:D

Damn that Good Idea Faerie.

George Wallace said:
New DEUs to have Velcro patches on sleeves to facilitate changing Bde and Div patches on posting.    >:D

Damn that Good Idea Faerie.

:goodpost:

;D

Velcro is so low-tech and common. We can do much better.

LED monitors on our tummies - Teletubby-style - would enable rank, name, unit, blood type, religion, dietary requirements, drug and other allergies, medals, sexual preference, and anything else desireable to be displayed in any language, instantly adaptable to lighting and visibility requirements, and readily re-programmable remotely.

Loachman said:
Velcro is so low-tech and common. We can do much better.

LED monitors on our tummies - Teletubby-style - would enable rank, name, unit, blood type, religion, dietary requirements, drug and other allergies, medals, sexual preference, and anything else desireable to be displayed in any language, instantly adaptable to lighting and visibility requirements, and readily re-programmable remotely.

:goodpost:

And an upgrade proposal: A proximity-based transponder in each device that compares signals between two devices and causes the display of higher-ranking commissioned wearers to pulsate, thereby alerting the junior member that a salute is required before it is too late to avoid a jacking. For the slow-to-react, an automatic pre-recorded jacking could initiated in either device.

Back