• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regarding Formation Badges.

dapaterson said:
To be fair, I'm guessing the PPCLI have elected to have an 18 month centennial year based on sound medical advice - spreading the parties over 18 months might lessen the liver damage...

Ok that sounds better than my "18 months = 1 year" based on NDHQ math.  8)

PuckChaser said:
I'm pondering whether I should wear both the 1 Div and 4 Div patches on my uniform, as my unit belongs to both. Maybe one on each arm....

How can your unit belong to two HQ at the same time...I'm sure that the MOO/CFOO for your unit dictates a single formation that your unit falls under.

Old EO Tech said:
How can your unit belong to two HQ at the same time...I'm sure that the MOO/CFOO for your unit dictates a single formation that your unit falls under.

I'll have to pull up the CFOO and MOO, however we belong to 4 Can Div and are OPCON to 1 Can Div.

For a while now 21 Electronic Warfare Regiment, 4 Air Defence Regiment, and 4 Engineer Support Regiment have been wearing 1 Cdn Division patches on DEU, even though none of these units are actually in the 1 Cdn Division chain of command.  Now that LFAA/5 Div and LFCA/4 Div have their own division patches the question remains what badges will these units wear? And shouldn't  their badges match their actual chain of command?

Putting these units under centralized command and control does make some kind of sense, making 1 Div the home for unique and orphan capabilities that aren't assigned to a brigade. But if you're going to do it, then you have to go whole hog -- having a unit reporting to two higher formations simultaneously just creates twice as much paperwork and slows administration to a crawl. Actually assigning these three units to 1 Div would be very straightforward for 21 EW -- but for 4 AD and 4 ESER it would remove the last two reg force field units from LFAA/5 Div.

Ostrozac said:
....... but for 4 AD and 4 ESER it would remove the last two reg force field units from LFAA/5 Div.
And why does LFAA/5 Div "need" to keep these reg force field units?

Edit: typo

So... the reg force over there by 5 Cdn Div wear 1 Cdn Div patches.... except for 2 RCR who are part of 4 Cdn Div?

PuckChaser said:
I'll have to pull up the CFOO and MOO, however we belong to 4 Can Div and are OPCON to 1 Can Div.

ok OPCON is fine, though that is suppose to be a temporary arrangement, you still belong to 4 Can Div and should wear their Div patch, or at least that is the logical decision :-/

Jon

Journeyman said:

Edit: typo

Yes it makes sense to me for these unique units to fall under 1 Can Div HQ, which itself has the sole purpose of deploying theatre HQ units, which in many cases would need the capabilities of these units.  Though I will add that 1 Can Div HQ needs some more work on deploying a 3rd line logistics unit, the one that came to Wainwright for Ex MR pretty much failed to provide any kind of support to the Div/BG :-/

Journeyman said:
4 ESR is the east coast IRU.  Without the regiment, one might question why we need a Div or Area HQ.

Old EO Tech said:
ok OPCON is fine, though that is suppose to be a temporary arrangement, you still belong to 4 Can Div and should wear their Div patch, or at least that is the logical decision :-/

Jon

Not much about my unit is logical.  :D

MCG said:
4 ESR is the east coast IRU.  Without the regiment, one might question why we need a Div or Area HQ.

Isnt 4 ESR moving to Kingston ?  Or was that another ESR ?

4 ESR is still at Gagetown, 1 ESU was in Moncton and is now moved to Kingston.

NFLD Sapper said:
.....1 ESU was in Moncton and is now moved to Kingston.
You can tell; their first (only?) act was to put  "1 ESU Parking only" signs everywhere.  :not-again:

Journeyman said:
You can tell; their first (only?) act was to put  "1 ESU Parking only" signs everywhere.  :not-again:

Sounds like 2 RCHA in Petawawa.  Surprised they didn't have one for the United Way rep.....  ::)

Back