• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting question, with reference to the CF Army reserves.

davegdsm

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if someone could help me? I have researched the CF website and have reviewed the Reserve units website of which I am interested in joining, but still cannot find the answer to my question.

I am a former member of the British Army with 8 years of service with a solid infantry background (6 years in the Parachute Regiment). I am a keen marathon runner and keep myself in good shape, so... I am hoping of possible recruitment into the Canadaian Army reserve but, the only thing I would like to know before I walk into the recruitment office is:

1.As a landed immigrant, do I still need a citizenship waiver to join. I have been reading conflicting information regarding this, some reserve websites say 'you require a citizenship waiver; others say you can join as a landed immigrant. Could anyone please confirm this.

2. I am interested in joining an Infantry Regiment within the CF, however with my past background, do you think they may still want me to go and participate in basic training?
3. Do reserve units typically meet on Thursday evenings? If so, what are the timings? How often do they train at weekends? How often do they train during the summer.
4. If I join, is there only certain times of the year you can go and do basic training? If there is... then what do you do in the mean time. When are the periods of basic training? What is the duration and how much do you get paid.
5. How does the pay work out in the reserve? I read the payscales on the CF webpage but, they are very vague.

If someone could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. I am very keen to get the ball rolling!

Thank you for your time. great website by the way! You should check out the British Army's equivalent, pretty good. www.arrse.co.uk

Cheers!

davegdsm said:
Hi,
I wonder if someone could help me? I have researched the CF website and have reviewed the Reserve units website of which I am interested in joining, but still cannot find the answer to my question.

I am a former member of the British Army with 8 years of service with a solid infantry background (6 years in the Parachute Regiment). I am a keen marathon runner and keep myself in good shape, so... I am hoping of possible recruitment into the Canadaian Army reserve but, the only thing I would like to know before I walk into the recruitment office is:

1.As a landed immigrant, do I still need a citizenship waiver to join. I have been reading conflicting information regarding this, some reserve websites say 'you require a citizenship waiver; others say you can join as a landed immigrant. Could anyone please confirm this.

2. I am interested in joining an Infantry Regiment within the CF, however with my past background, do you think they may still want me to go and participate in basic training?
3. Do reserve units typically meet on Thursday evenings? If so, what are the timings? How often do they train at weekends? How often do they train during the summer.
4. If I join, is there only certain times of the year you can go and do basic training? If there is... then what do you do in the mean time. When are the periods of basic training? What is the duration and how much do you get paid.
5. How does the pay work out in the reserve? I read the payscales on the CF webpage but, they are very vague.

If someone could answer these questions I would really appreciate it. I am very keen to get the ball rolling!

Thank you for your time. great website by the way! You should check out the British Army's equivalent, pretty good. www.arrse.co.uk

Cheers!

First and foremost talk to a recruiter at a recruiting center or with the unit you wish to apply to.

Ok so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. Haven't the foggiest talk to a recruiter

2. Depends on what equivalencies they grant you. I know it would suck if you had to do Basic and some other courses over again.

3. Depends on your unit, some train thursdays some wednesday.
    Generally once a month again depends on your unit
    During the summer most units are stood down to minimal maning because most of the troops are away at Area Training Centers (ATC) for courses or taskings.

4. Most units run a Basic course in the fall and spring of the year. Also some ATC's run Basic courses over the summer. Basic Training or BMQ is 21 training days. Pay is per the CF Pay scale.

5. You get paid every 15 days (i.e. mid and end of the month) only if you work. Go here for the CF Reserve Pay Scale http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/pay/engraph/2006_NCMResForcePay_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=28 . Half days are anything less than 6 hours, full days are over 6 hours.

Hope this helps.

Fire away if you have any more questions.

Thanks for your reply!

I take it that basic training is run in a central location, somewhere in Canada? Or by the regiment you are wishing to join?

Reserve BMQ can be run at the unit/local level as well as at ATC's.

In Ontario, at least, BMQ courses are usually run cooperatively by close by units.  There are usually a couple of weekend courses a year as well as co-ops and full time summer courses.

You need your Canadian citizenship as you are not important enough to get a waiver, especially for the reserves.

Oh, with respect to prior service and having to go on BMQ - I think it depends on when you got out.  There's some scope for recognition of previous training, generally if you've been out less than five years you can keep some qualifications.  My unit had a former Welsh Guard join, shot from Private to MCpl in no time, eventually all the way to Warrant Officer.  Recruiting should give you some idea of what's involved.  The citizenship issue is going to be the biggest hold up probably though.

davegdsm--

Were you able to get a Citizenship waiver?? I am a US CItizen, but PR of Canada (eligible for citizenship in Nov2007). I'm looking to join a local Infantry unity and would like to begin training ASAP. Please let me know if there were any contacts you found helpful.

Cheers,
sunnyliston

davegdsm, where abouts are you located? if you're in the lowermainland, ie. Vancouverish, PM me and we can talk  ;D

One more thing about the pay in the reserves ... you get paid for the day or the half day ,any time working under 6 hours is considered a half day and any thing over 6 hours is a full day and your only entitled to work so many class A  days a month (16 I beleive) without a full time (class B or C) contract and only so many class A days a fiscal year .

Redeye said:
In Ontario, at least, BMQ courses are usually run cooperatively by close by units.  There are usually a couple of weekend courses a year as well as co-ops and full time summer courses.

Are you from Ontario, redeye? If so..which city?

Back