• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

Eye In The Sky said:
Actually, a quick view of your profile leads me to believe you do NOT know.  I can have the Clerk who spent a FTX or two as "Z49" confirm that your first paragraph is not true.   ;)

You're entitled to your opinion, all I am saying is you will likely find other Clerks with some TI telling you that your opinion is misinformed at this point.

TGIF!!   ;D
Now now. So I have 2.5 years in in some reserve unit.  Granted, I am not very experienced, and I have a LOT to learn.....but come on... I wasn't sworn in yesterday....  RMS Clerks are desk jockeys when we're not aboard ship or in the field...and some are even convinced they are "clerks first, soldiers second" (literally, this is what they say) because they get so little time in the field or behind a weapon relative to our fine freinds in the combat arms, or even many CS/CSS trades.

I'm definetely NOT advocating that mindset, and I think being a soldier first is important, it will save my life or someone else's some day. Some have very different attitudes towards the occupation, I take the realistic one. In my mind, It is a CAREER, I'm a solider first, but I'm not as field-smart as the ordinary cbt arms troop, and that's how it is.

We simply don't go in the field as often as others, That is the lesson of the story.

Infantrymen, as a trade, are all about being in the field, or wherever the enemy is.  Sig ops and medics can wind up alongside them.  Veh Techs and Supply/TN go wherever they are needed.  RMS Clerks on ordinary ops in the field, from what I read, stick to patrols near the area and guard the base...... perhaps I am wrong... or do we ever lead foot patrols behind the wire?

Mabye one day I'll see.   :D >:D

The trade videos are pretty good.  Some of them are pretty cheesy, to the point where it can scare away potential recruits. I showed some to some freinds and they laughed. Others like the engineers or armd have very good videos that give excellent insight into the trade.

Cheers  

CorporalMajor said:
  RMS Clerks are desk jockeys when we're not aboard ship or in the field...

All depends on what BN you are with. Also being reserve has something to do with it as well. 1 SVC BN sure sends their clerks out to the field. They fire their weapons, run Dry and Live CLP's, and do everything that the infantry does, and that's even the AF Clerks. It's ALL about the individual unit.

As for the new ads, they do in fact rock, they don't sugar coat what we do, but they don't tell all the little things we do either, something for the imagination, to draw people in to the CFRC's to ask lots of questions.

Chapeski said:
All depends on what BN you are with. Also being reserve has something to do with it as well. 1 SVC BN sure sends their clerks out to the field. They fire their weapons, run Dry and Live CLP's, and do everything that the infantry does, and that's even the AF Clerks. It's ALL about the individual unit.
I've done all that too... just not as often as other trades.. that's all I'm getting at.

And yes it will depend on where you work.

Cheers.

CorporalMajor said:
I don't have a narrow view.

With " 2 years in, one year actualy in" you have a very narrow field of view indeed. Its not your fault. With only a short amount of service time and being in the reserves, you most likley have not been exposed to the full range of employment of your MOC and the working of the wider CF.

Today I was watching TV when a CF commercial came on and it was the fight fear, fight chaos brand anyway it was the condensed version of it and it just showed a ship at sea and SAR Techs jumping out of a plane to save a crashed plane in the middle of the Arctic, and all I thought was COME ON, at least some of the full version commercials had some sort of army related theme even if it was handing out blankets. What they need are commercials that display camaraderie, patriotism and warrior ethos. That's the reason most people join the combat arms at least, is to go overseas and fight and being a brother in arm. No one joins to be a peacekeeper or a humanitarian, we join to be soldiers, but I guess just like the CF ads and most people in the CF they forget the motto "Soldiers First". And the CF should implement a 99.99% need not apply so it would free up PAT platoon from the weak, lame and lazy.

canadian_moose said:
Today I was watching TV when a CF commercial came on and it was the fight fear, fight chaos brand anyway it was the condensed version of it and it just showed a ship at sea and SAR Techs jumping out of a plane to save a crashed plane in the middle of the Arctic, and all I thought was COME ON, at least some of the full version commercials had some sort of army related theme even if it was handing out blankets.

I think the SAR ads are a good way of reminding people that there's more to the CF than Afghanistan.  And I disagree with you when you suggest that they're trying to appeal to people who aren't really cut out to be soliders; I find the tone of the ads conveys grittiness and professionalism.

jp86 said:
And I disagree with you when you suggest that they're trying to appeal to people who aren't really cut out to be soliders; I find the tone of the ads conveys grittiness and professionalism.
Agreed.  They also have a certain air to them that say to me; 'check your ego at the door'. 

Some people should heed that advice.

canadian_moose said:
it was the condensed version of it and it just showed a ship at sea and SAR Techs jumping out of a plane to save a crashed plane in the middle of the Arctic, and all I thought was COME ON, at least some of the full version commercials had some sort of army related theme even if it was handing out blankets.

Last I checked the CF wasn't only made up of the army....

canadian_moose said:
That's the reason most people join the combat arms at least, is to go overseas and fight and being a brother in arm. No one joins to be a peacekeeper or a humanitarian, we join to be soldiers, but I guess just like the CF ads and most people in the CF they forget the motto "Soldiers First".

Some people are joining to be SAR techs, some people are joining with the desire to fly Cormorants...........so  we showed them :

and SAR Techs jumping out of a plane to save a crashed plane in the middle of the Arctic,

Theres a big CF outside of your battalion and the personel shortages are there too.

canadian_moose said:
Today I was watching TV when a CF commercial came on and it was the fight fear, fight chaos brand anyway it was the condensed version of it and it just showed a ship at sea and SAR Techs jumping out of a plane to save a crashed plane in the middle of the Arctic, and all I thought was COME ON, at least some of the full version commercials had some sort of army related theme even if it was handing out blankets. What they need are commercials that display camaraderie, patriotism and warrior ethos. That's the reason most people join the combat arms at least, is to go overseas and fight and being a brother in arm. No one joins to be a peacekeeper or a humanitarian, we join to be soldiers, but I guess just like the CF ads and most people in the CF they forget the motto "Soldiers First". And the CF should implement a 99.99% need not apply so it would free up PAT platoon from the weak, lame and lazy.
The full commercial has what appears to be infantrymen doing their thing.  As for the rest, Naval crew are SAILORS, and SAR Techs are AIRMEN.  That is why they aren't "soldier first" - because they aren't in the army!  Some people want to fly or repair aircraft instead, or live at sea, and those people are not trained as soldiers - so what do you expect?

Although I do agree there could be use for "Warrior Ethos" outside the combat arms, not everyone joins for those reasons. My friend joined as a medic to save lives, not just to fight people. The commercial is meant to portray the entire CF in its broad purpose, for better and for worse.

As for Pat PL, that has more to do with these kinds of individuals being allowed into the system to begin with, or perhaps it is BMQ failing to place them in the right mindset or otherwise prepare them. But I digress....

Cheers

canadian_moose said:
That's the reason most people join the combat arms at least, is to go overseas and fight and being a brother in arm. No one joins to be a peacekeeper or a humanitarian, we join to be soldiers...

I did NOT join with the intention to go overseas and shoot people (although I did apply for Infantry as second choice). I joined for a number of other reasons, but mainly to help people - not fight them.
Anyways, on topic, I think our commercials are OK. I think the dark atmosphere they seem to have is too much though. People like to live happy and cheerful lives : )
As for the British Royal Marines commercial, with the guy underwater, I think it would scare away a lot of potential recruits (and parents!), though the RM's are an elite force right? That I could understand. But for the regular CF, I don't think it would be the way to go - showing the rigours of training.
I LOVE this USMC one: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UwY67LYzH7Q, it fills the recruitee' with a sense of pride, fellowship, and professionalism. And it's bright and cheerful!

EuroCanuck said:
I did NOT join with the intention to go overseas and shoot people (although I did apply for Infantry as second choice). I joined for a number of other reasons, but mainly to help people - not fight them.
Anyways, on topic, I think our commercials are OK. I think the dark atmosphere they seem to have is too much though. People like to live happy and cheerful lives : )
As for the British Royal Marines commercial, with the guy underwater, I think it would scare away a lot of potential recruits (and parents!), though the RM's are an elite force right? That I could understand. But for the regular CF, I don't think it would be the way to go - showing the rigours of training.
I LOVE this USMC one: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UwY67LYzH7Q, it fills the recruitee' with a sense of pride, fellowship, and professionalism. And it's bright and cheerful!

I think it is noble that you want to help people, but I think you and the rest of Canadian society needs to understand is that a military's primary function is to fight wars.  In so doing, you are going to have to shoot and kill people.  Its not a fun thought, and it does not make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside, but it is the job that you, me and everyone else here volunteered for.  I think our recruiting adds need to have that sense of reality to them.  In my view the adds need to serve 2 purposes.  The first to attract people to join the CF, the second, to ensure they have a realistic appraisal as to what they are getting themselves into.

Will that scare away Canadians?  Absolutely.

While I agree that the CF needs to change and adapt along with society, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  We need to maintain a war fighting capability and our new recruits need to be prepared to accept that burden.

ltmaverick25 said:
While I agree that the CF needs to change and adapt along with society, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  We need to maintain a war fighting capability and our new recruits need to be prepared to accept that burden.

I don't see the line being drawn there. The big reason is for the past 25 + years that I can actively recall commercials and was familiar with what our capability as a military was. We have had a changing tune for recruitment in all that time and more likely even longer.  From Campy commercials, to the Hey the army is just like any business but great benefits.  The point being despite the level of recruiting we have always managed to take those who joined for what ever reason. Put them into the "Green Machine" ( including Air and Navy). And come up with a capable force that has been acknowledged by our allies as being a well trained force.

EuroCanuck said:

Good on ya, but as previously stated, we are in the business of applied violence.

I think it would scare away a lot of potential recruits (and parents!),

If there are people afraid of arduous training, would we want them in the military in the first place? Even worse if their parents were afraid for them?

Here's a JTF-2 recruitment booklet from their website...

http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/rec/docs/brochure-eng.pdf

I also thought this Navy SEALs commercial was brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmta7GwXCpo

I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeHoMhuz7A&feature=related

Because it emphasizes that the purpose of the USMC is to go to war, and everything else is in support of that cause.

stealthylizard said:
But aren't we all soldiers first regardless of trade and element?
I would say yes, but at a basic level, and if you think otherwise then perhaps you have chosen the wrong occupation.

Snakedoc said:
Last I checked the CF wasn't only made up of the army....

On the same token, the CF isn't only recruiting SAR Techs, Naval Officers and boarding parties which is all I see in the current commericials.

Back