• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recording mileage toward Troop Lift qualification

Rheostatic

Reaction score
Do any standardized forms exist for recording mileage toward one's Troop Lift qualification? I'd like to save myself some future headaches and get it right the first time.

Trip tickets usualy as used to show how much milage you have gotten.

I suppose you're right, but as i understood it, the qual requires 1000 km of supervised safe driving, so I figured there was some form or log for someone to sign.

And don't forget once you can carry troops you have to do hours to keep the qualification....causes a nightmare when you are trying to do an Ex and nobody can tpt the troops

Really???  I should laugh, but I just can't.  So it is not just the Air Force regulating itself out of capabilities.  It used to be that being a qualified driver was enough.

I believe if the regs are read there has too be so many Km's put on each vehicle to stay qualified...can't remember the timeframe but from an Ops point of view it was a nightmare

That's fine, there's only one veh I'll be using to carry more than 2 passengers, the MLVW.

Hmmm.... never had to worry about millage for troop lift. I got my troop lift after one year of driving.

Rheostatic said:
I suppose you're right, but as i understood it, the qual requires 1000 km of supervised safe driving, so I figured there was some form or log for someone to sign.

As far as I know, driver mileage is logged with the FMS (Fleet Management System) now, you just have to ensure that your name is on the trip ticket and that your TPT rep actually enters you name and the end mileage.  Also wouldn't be a bad idea to keep track of the dates you drive and the detail # on the trip tickets to make it easier for you to prove your mileage if it is not properly logged on the FMS

Ah, I have been summoned by the great Gods of this site to answer this question.

OK guys... one of the SME is here. 241 is pretty well bang on. It will be on the FMS system under the person profile. But usually I bring a MSE log book just in case the dispatcher is lazy on closing my work ticket. I have known a few folks that place 1 hr as driving time, instead of 5-6 hours. Which then goes on my record. It's not fair.

Just remember the boxes under defects (I think) "Type, From, To, Qty" Make sure to fill those out too.
      Type        From              To              Qty
ie" [troops][Argus Range][ H21 Barracks]    [18]

I honestly think the 500 km rule is pretty lame to keep the trooplift. I know for my bus it's a 1000km without troops and a 1000km with troops. Before I can do the road test. And same applies for 15 pax up to 46 pax.

Do any standardized forms exist for recording mileage toward one's Troop Lift qualification? I'd like to save myself some future headaches and get it right the first time.

May be ask your TPT rep for a log book. If you are in Kingston, go and visit Base TN there. I know the boys there will help. If you can't drop me a PM and I"ll see what I can do.

Well I hope I answer all your questions there.
Have a good day.
Schultz

Or walk into your regimental transport cell and tell them to put it on.We sent a few guys over to do it once as we were getting ready for a range and no one was qualified under these rules.

Usually they just throw it on there anyway.

241 & Schultz..
While the FMS is supposed to, in concept, track the mileage of drivers, this supposes that the driver is a Reg & that he stays to his one vehicle.

Reserve drivers who work during the summer in schools & bases & esp at their units where they are pool drivers really aren't covered by the FMS system. 

I had to review an incident where a MLVW driver erred and tossed a passenger out of the back... The passenger did not get seriously injured but, the whole Trooplift question came up.  FMS has it's bugs.

In the end, if there is doubt, a road safety supervisor is supposed to take the driver out & determine if the fella is (or isn't) safe.

geo said:
Reserve drivers who work during the summer in schools & bases & esp at their units where they are pool drivers really aren't covered by the FMS system. 

I know of a few dispatchers that do not record some PRes "pool members". I was that PRes member at one time that missed a lot of km's due to it. But even working in ARTS or weekend tasks. I still has enough for trooplift. And to keep it at that. Thanks to my LOG BOOK. I even log the 4km runs on the 15 pax, these days. Why? To record it in case MSE Safety has something to say. Or to show my boss my driving hours are up.

If your work ticket says "A Cpl" as a user name, return it and ask for your name on the work ticket. It is the only wave to have it punch into the system. I don't mean cross out the "A Cpl" but print a new one off with your name on it with your SN. It shows your name is in FMS then. It only takes a few seconds for the dispatcher to do it.

This may be a silly thing for some folks, but it may bite you in the rear someday.
Just record everything to cover yourself.
Only person your going to screw over is yourself, if you don't record.

Regards,
Schultz  ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
Or walk into your regimental transport cell and tell them to put it on.We sent a few guys over to do it once as we were getting ready for a range and no one was qualified under these rules.

Usually they just throw it on there anyway.

True some TPT cells will do that. But if something happens, someone will pay. Not MSE Safety, but the judge will give out the lashes.
Sorry to pee on your parade. I just wanted to inform everyone on that issue before something wrong happens to them. I know sometimes it can be hard to get these km's at times. And I understand the view of the user.

Regards,
Schultz

Nfld Sapper said:
Hmmm.... never had to worry about millage for troop lift. I got my troop lift after one year of driving.

Here's one Geo..

My Sapper friend here... Class A and B... PRes.. and he has his trooplift one year afterwards.
Sorry Nfld Sapper to use you as an example. But it fits the bill.

Chimo.

Sgt  Schultz said:
Here's one Geo..

My Sapper friend here... Class A and B... PRes.. and he has his trooplift one year afterwards.
Sorry Nfld Sapper to use you as an example. But it fits the bill.

Chimo.

:gunner:

But in all fairness I did log over 1000km within a month of getting my 404's lol

Schultz & NL Sapper,
Don't get me wrong, am not trying to diss any driver.  I just pointed out that the FMS system has some huge gaping holes in it. 
Road safety boys have set this rule for 1000 km per year min to retain Tp Lift - but they have not established any effective system to maintain it - without hamstringing most reserve drivers doing unit training.  What's the point of making a rule if you don't enforce it OR don't provide the tools with which to monitor it.  Pointing to FMS isn't good enough for me if they intentionally or unintentionally excluded the reservists who use the same rolling stock and carry warm bodies in back.

Geo, maybe I am not understanding what you are saying but are you trying to say that reservist's are not on the FMS?

geo said:
Schultz & NL Sapper,
Don't get me wrong, am not trying to diss any driver.  I just pointed out that the FMS system has some huge gaping holes in it. 
Road safety boys have set this rule for 1000 km per year min to retain Tp Lift - but they have not established any effective system to maintain it - without hamstringing most reserve drivers doing unit training.  What's the point of making a rule if you don't enforce it OR don't provide the tools with which to monitor it.  Pointing to FMS isn't good enough for me if they intentionally or unintentionally excluded the reservists who use the same rolling stock and carry warm bodies in back.

Geo I hear you loud and clear and I see what you mean.

Most reserve units only have a couple of vehicles and a  pool of drivers who will use same... not an assigned vehicle.
Reservists are entered into FMS in that they control the issue of 404s. road accidents, etc but, not on a day to day basis
Reserve unit vehicles aren't really tracked in FMS

Back