• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

The best IMPs were the years when they just randomly put a main meal in a box that was likely labelled wrong; the Chicken Breast in Gravy could actually be beef chop suey, or lasagna or…

We asked “wtf is going on” and were told it was being done intentionally so troops wouldn’t try to hand-pick meals. It was great for moral. Lol

I just think that they just tasted the same, what ever the meal 🤣

The RCN just announced a new initiative to try to get people interested in the RCN, and CAF more broadly.

I'm a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned this yet.

The RCN just announced a new initiative to try to get people interested in the RCN, and CAF more broadly.

It's my guess that some how or other the recruiting process will end up taking close to two years to get you in for that programme.
We seem to be good at coming up with what is admittedly a rather good idea and promptly figuring out a way to screw it up .
I think it is actually a wonderful idea and I hope it actually succeeds.

I'm quite interested in how this program gets an individual to a point where they are a contributing member to a ship's company in one year.

It seems to fly in the face of how most of our DP1 programs function in practice.

:unsure:

I'm quite interested in how this program gets an individual to a point where they are a contributing member to a ship's company in one year.

It seems to fly in the face of how most of our DP1 programs function in practice.

My understanding is the idea is that they aren't trained in any occupation, but simply given BMQ, and NETP. That way they can fill positions on ship, or ashore, and get a feel for what each occupation does.

Set up a BMQ on either coast and run it internally. Aldershot on the east coast would be easy and could piggy back off the RCAF program maybe. If you want to keep them in, the Mega might not be the best starting point. Lol

I think this is a great I initiative and I hope it works for the RCN. Too often we try to front load training so that OFP isn't Day One at a unit, but "you'll need this to be self sufficient at a unit."

I regret that they changed the names of our DP1 and DP2 from Apprentice and Journeyman because it help highlight the experience gap between the two. By recognizing that these folks are along for the ride for a year with BMQ and NTEP, there will be a drive for efficiency in training (theoretically) so we get the most out of that member's year.

Bogging them down with unnecessary training because "well they might need it as a Cpl..." is and always will be bullshit.

Sorta like YTEP 2.0?
YTEP were trade qualified. This is something else — non-trade qualified pers that can go to sea in order to… go to sea. Doesn‘t fix the technical trades, but I suppose a generic able hand is better than an empty rack.

They are not going to be trade qualified in NEP.

The whole point of the programme is, in one year, to expose the people in the program to as much of the Navy as they can. Then they can decide to continue in a trade or release. Or maybe move someplace else in the CAF/DND.

As noted, they will be NETP qualified, so they will be safe at sea. I would imagine they would be able to fill generic watch and station bill positions like lookout or part ship hands, but not trade specific ones.

The RCN has to do something to stop the death spiral. This could be a tool in the toolbox to get folks excited about life at sea. Despite the doom and gloom, I think there is much to be excited about, in the coming years.

the Mega might not be the best starting point.
correct breaking bad GIF

They are not going to be trade qualified in NEP.

The whole point of the programme is, in one year, to expose the people in the program to as much of the Navy as they can. Then they can decide to continue in a trade or release. Or maybe move someplace else in the CAF/DND.

As noted, they will be NETP qualified, so they will be safe at sea. I would imagine they would be able to fill generic watch and station bill positions like lookout or part ship hands, but not trade specific ones.

The RCN has to do something to stop the death spiral. This could be a tool in the toolbox to get folks excited about life at sea. Despite the doom and gloom, I think there is much to be excited about, in the coming years.
Exactly, sounds like the sort of out of the norm/box kind of thinking we desperately need

The RCN has to do something to stop the death spiral, except fire the really crappy leaders and address the quality of life issues that cause people to leave. This could be a tool in the toolbox to get folks excited about life at sea. Despite the doom and gloom, I think there is much to be excited about, in the coming years.

I think they might be missing a few bigger opportunities to help people make the decision to stay, which we know will never be addressed ;)

@SeaKingTacco NETP qualified is only part of it, also takes a while to figure your way around the ship to the point where you don't panic during an emergency station and run right into the danger area (say this from experience). That's easily a month or more.

I think this is a good idea, provided they provide adequate supervision and mentoring, and limit how many trainees are attached to each ship. Given how short handed the ships are sailing around at, I'm not optimistic we won't try and slap a huge PAT platoon onto a single ship (which probably is below our material standard anyway) and hope there is no real emergency.

Maybe they'll give them some time on the Orcas like they do with the SLts as well?

If done properly, I think this is a great idea, but I have very little faith in the RCN not just ignoring the risks and trying to do something stupid.

Back