• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

The CDS Focus Areas message is out on the CAF app and elsewhere. Reconstitution is one of the areas.

Below is a reasonable facsimile of me about to read responses on CAF Reddit.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I may or may not be compensated for unearthing talent 😎

I like trains!

The CDS Focus Areas message is out on the CAF app and elsewhere. Reconstitution is one of the areas.

My #1 motivation:

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

Everything else about the future of the the RCAF, inclusion rhetoric, space force and agility is just leadership noises. I don't care what the CAF will look like in 10 years or where it's headed. Changing the mission statement every CDS doesn't put food on the table or make housing any more affordable.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

"the rules based international order is at risk..."

Huh, but I thought Trump was defeated in the last election, so... how could the rules based international order still be at risk?

Sure, context matters, even in technical work. "As an X, I want to do Y in order to Z."

I suppose we're missing context. If there's a perception that people today want to know more "why", what are they asking "why" about?
There is a big difference between "Go change the widget" and "Take out the garbage". If I get asked the former, why is an appropriate question. If I get asked the latter the answer is because I said so. Context is everything.

"the rules based international order is at risk..."

Huh, but I thought Trump was defeated in the last election, so... how could the rules based international order still be at risk?
This isn’t the Politics sub-forum, please keep it that way.

Milnet.ca Staff

There is a big difference between "Go change the widget" and "Take out the garbage". If I get asked the former, why is an appropriate question. If I get asked the latter the answer is because I said so. Context is everything.
I suppose we have different thresholds. Changing the widget is not much different than taking out the garbage. Now, upon being ordered to achieve a tactical objective, on the other hand...

Question: has the CAF decided to start targeted recruitment of 17-20 yr olds again who will be fit, healthy, and moldable soldiers/sailors/air...persons... that can be sent to and fro, or are we recruiting people in their 30's+ with other more pressing (to them) priorities that need constant accommodating?

The CAF needs people that are going to show up and shut up to fill the mass of junior ranks needed to sustain ops.

I suppose we have different thresholds. Changing the widget is not much different than taking out the garbage. Now, upon being ordered to achieve a tactical objective, on the other hand...
In the aviation world, it is expected techs question fixes that don't make sense. I lot of it is knowing your people so you can tell when a why is an honest attempt at understanding or an attempt to get out of the work.

Question: has the CAF decided to start targeted recruitment of 17-20 yr olds again who will be fit, healthy, and moldable soldiers/sailors/air...persons... that can be sent to and fro, or are we recruiting people in their 30's+ with other more pressing (to them) priorities that need constant accommodating?

The CAF needs people that are going to show up and shut up to fill the mass of junior ranks needed to sustain ops.

Pictures from recent CFLRS events can be found on FB pages. The demographics look much older, on average, then when I went through in the early 2000s.

I think we need to recruit young people and start letting people go after their first contract. Not everyone is suitable, in temperament, resilience, etc for a long term career in the military. Give everyone the chance but let's not hold on to people who will struggle to meet the minimum standard their whole career.

In the aviation world, it is expected techs question fixes that don't make sense. I lot of it is knowing your people so you can tell when a why is an honest attempt at understanding or an attempt to get out of the work.
Yes, but that's not a "why" situation. That's a declarative statement (of the facts) situation.

Did the CAF ever stop targetting young people? Really the entire point of the cadet program is to give a lot of folks useful life skills, fun memories and introduce them to a possible career in the forces, so that should be one recruiting stream, but all those door kicking type of ads aren't aimed at middle aged folks.

The preferred demographics for recruits is clearly displayed in the photos on recent CAF web based materials:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF
That message is such a random collection of empty words and bullshit burecratese I'm not sure why they bothered releasing it, and it's not like it's being followed anyway.

A month after the initial reconsitution announcement the GoC announced they wanted more ships deployed, which is exact opposite of what that message says our focus should be.

The previous ops tempo was already unsustainable, and now it's being increased, while they want us to ramp up training.... Calling something a no fail mission doesn't suddenly make telepathy, time control and apparition superpowers come into effect.

Did the CAF ever stop targetting young people? Really the entire point of the cadet program is to give a lot of folks useful life skills, fun memories and introduce them to a possible career in the forces, so that should be one recruiting stream, but all those door kicking type of ads aren't aimed at middle aged folks.

Then recruiting must be fine and the CAF should keep doing what it's doing. Good luck! :ROFLMAO:

I like trains!

My #1 motivation:

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

Everything else about the future of the the RCAF, inclusion rhetoric, space force and agility is just leadership noises. I don't care what the CAF will look like in 10 years or where it's headed. Changing the mission statement every CDS doesn't put food on the table or make housing any more affordable.
Changing the mission statement actually causes confusion and loss of leadership. Which results in the ones who did believe and willing to sacrifice not so much anymore.

Back