• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

World's Easiest Pulled Pork Recipe

• 4-6 lbs of pork shoulder, cut into medium sized cubes
  • Your favourite spice rub
  • 1/3 cup Liquid Smoke
  • Your favourite BBQ sauce

1)  Coat chunks of pork in your fave spice rub (I use this one from Penzeys in the US, but whatever you like'll work just fine).
2)  Place in slow cooker with Liquid Smoke.
3)  Cook on low for 12 hours or high for 6 hours.  It didn't stink up the house with smoke when we did it, and it didn't leave a smokey after-smell in the crockery insert of the crock pot, either.
4)  Remove & shred pork, mix with BBQ sauce to taste, and enjoy!

Here's another;

1 glass, non plastic
Ice Cubes (not the rap star)
Vodka
Tonic Water

Cheers!! hic! :blotto:

Cretons Québécois

1 pound of grounded veal or chicken or turkey or pork
1 cup of milk or stock
1 cup of bread crumbs
1 diced onion
2 garlic
salt (5ml)
pepper,
pinch of Cinnamon, nutmeg and clove grounded

put everything in the pan
cook on stove low heat for 45 minutes covered, watch and stir occasionally
then you may reduce to puree in a food processor or with a Braun like hand mixer (or not)

refrigerate in a plastic container
spread on toast or bread
also you can freeze in ice cubes and defreeze in microwave as needed

I eat that at least 3 to 4 times a week for breakfast... I love it...  ;D

OldSolduer said:
One whiskey glass
Ice cubes
Jack Daniels whiskey to taste.

Ice not mandatory
Jack can be replaced with Jim Beam, Scotch or any quality whiskey.

With summer on the way, I have another classic drink recipe too. Once you make these, you'll never want the instant 'syrup' kind again.

Home blended strawberry daquiries

~There is no specific measurements, as I find the best way to make them is by taste  ;)

-Fresh strawberries *for two people, try 2 regular sized boxes from the grocery store

-Sugar *berries are bitter once blended, so first time making the drinks, keep adding sugar to taste until you find what you prefer

-Malibu Rum *coconut rum is actually a key flavour

-Ice

-blender

*Blend strawberries and ice together until consistency is thick and ice & fruit is smooth. Add sugar to taste, follow with rum. Sharing is optional, but don't forget to add patio, and a warm summer evening and your favourite music for full enjoyment.

My wife just made an amazing banana bread and though I would share the recipe with you all

Moist Banana Bread

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter or 1 stick
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp salt

cream previous ingredients together add in:

2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp sour cream

mix everything together

4 large very ripe bananas

mix until smooth, pour into a bunt pan.
preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour (or longer depending on type of bunt pan, silicone tends to take 1.5 hours)
bread is done when golden brown on top and a toothpick will come out smooth
cool for 30 min

You can add nutmeg or cinnamon to flavor if you choose.

Mmmmm...bananas!!

I bunted a pan yesterday - out the door!!

What's a bunt pan?

BinRat55 said:
Mmmmm...bananas!!

I bunted a pan yesterday - out the door!!

What's a bunt pan?

images

BBQ Salmon Fillets

Grab a big ziplock bag and put however many fillets you're going to cook in.

Pour in a healthy amount of maple syrup and dark rum (Captain Mo's spiced would be my suggestion).

Seal and shake/maneuver so that everything gets covered by the mixture, and let sit over night.

Wrap in tin-foil and toss on the BBQ.

Crack open your favorite cold brew and enjoy.

To celebrate halibut season, here's my fave:

Get yourself a nice big hali fillet. 250+g per person, the stuff's addictive.

In a fry pan, sauté up a couple of garlic cloves, a red onion, a red pepper, a yellow pepper, and just before those items are done, throw in about 2/3s of a cup of sundried tomatoes. I have best luck with the ones that come in oil, not the dry ones.

While that mixture is jumping, make cuts in your fillet, from side to side and down to the skin, every inch along the fillet's length. Stuff each of those cuts with some herbed up feta cheese. I prefer the crumbly dry kind for this recipe.

Put the fish, skin down, into a glass baking pan, and pour the sautéed awesome over the fish. Bake it all in an oven at 350 until the fish is cooked through to your taste. I find about 15 minutes is good for a kilo, but each oven is a bit different, and each fillet is thicker/ thinner than the next. Check yours after 12 minutes or so.

I love this one with some pan fried sweet potato wedges. Serve those with a dip made of mayo, hot sauce and paprika along with some frosty lagers. mmmmmm

Hot Wings..

Deep fry the wings for about 10 minutes. Remove and refrigerate until thoroughly cold

In a bowl mix (4 tbsp) Asian hot chili sauce (2 tbsp) honey (2 tbsp) butter, melted. Use the quantity of butter to adjust the heat to your tastes...

Put the cold wings back in teh deep frier until nice and crispy brown the dump them in the sauce...

This method gives you a nice crisp outer skin and a soft moist inner meat....yummy...

I read this is the original recipe used back in 'buffalo' for buffalo wings.

More fun with Halibut.

This one couldn't be easier.

Prepare 1kg of halibut fillet by cutting it down to, but not through the skin, in a series of cuts one inch apart.

Place the fish in a tinfoil pouch.

Chop up into tiny cubes 1/3rd of a cantaloupe, 1/3rd of a honeydew melon, one whole mango, and one shallot. Add some finely chopped chives, and a bit of cilantro (this one's optional, as not everyone likes cilantro).

Spread the fruit mix over the fish, and work a bit of it into each of the cuts. Sprinkle with pepper and sea salt to taste.

Cover the fish in the tin foil pouch, and place over a medium hot charcoal BBQ, and let cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet. I like to add wood chips as well for a bit of extra smoke, though too much can ruin a good piece of halibut, so use it sparingly with this recipe.

I like to serve it with new potatoes, roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and a few sprigs of rosemary.

On the side, a baby green salad with chopped strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, slivered almonds and some sort of berry vinaigrette is a nice touch. Top it off with a lager beer, or a piesporter, and you've got a great meal.

This one's about as easy as they come too. Total prep time is about 10 minutes.

Who doesn't love a good juicy burger charred on the BBQ? The trick to a good burger is having the right meat-to-bun ratio. I make my burgers about 4 inches in diameter and usually less than an inch thick so they are relatively flat. I'm not one for meatball burgers that are super thick in the middle!
Here is my burger recipe which is a favourite in the family.

1lb beef (medium beef makes the best of course)
1 egg (may sound weird to some, but this is what keeps the burgers moist and juicy)
Pinch of salt
As much pepper as desired
2 tablespoons onion soup mix
1/2 a small onion chopped very fine
A couple dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

Mix all ingredients together with hands. It will feel slimier with the egg. :)
Grill as normal, adding your favourite BBQ sauces if desired (I find these burgers don't even need any, but Smokin' Stampede BBQ sauce by PC is really good).

Use your favourite buns, I like to toast mine up a bit on the BBQ before I serve them.
Add favourite toppings and enjoy!

OK, chili time.

Ingredients:

2 pounds/1 kg of lean ground beef or lean ground bison, cooked and drained
1 onion, chopped coarsely
1 10oz can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tbsp of garlic medley seasoning, or 2 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
1 10oz can of Campbell's tomato soup
2 10oz cans of Bush's beans (I prefer maple-style, but any kind of Pork n' beans will do)
1 tbsp of chili powder
2 tbsp of BBQ sauce (I prefer Famous Dave's Hot & Sassy, but Bullseye Hickory works well)
1 tbsp of Heinz tomato ketchup
1 cup of frozen corn kernels (or 1 10oz can of corn kernels, drained)
1/2 to 1 tsp of Sriracha asian hot sauce (this stuff is pretty hot, especially when it's fresh.  You can find it in the asian section of your supermarket - it has a rooster on the bottle.

Directions:

Set stove to medium (5)

1.  In a large pot, brown the ground beef/bison, and drain off the excess fat
2.  Add the chopped onion, garlic/garlic powder, mushrooms and tomato soup;  brown for 3-5 minutes
3.  Add the beans, ketchup, BBQ sauce, Srichra, chili powder and stir thoroghly to mix.
4.  Increase heat to med-high (8).  Allow to simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
5.  Add drained corn kernels or frozen corn and stir to mix.  Simmer for 5 minutes.
6.  Cover and reduce heat to minimum.  Let simmer on minimum for 30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes.  You should taste at this point, and make any adjustments as you prefer.

Serve with fresh buns and a Ceasar salad.  Serves 4-6.

A facebook friend recenty asked for a chicken soup recipe as she is getting ready for the flu to hit.  I suggested she look up Chicken Fricot, and a few other friends piped in on their success finding it, and how they plan to make some.  We make it with pork in my family as well, and I saw a beef fricot recipe once. 

I am surprised this thread has been so calm for so long.

Thing with fricot is that it varies so much from family to family and even person to person. I love my dad's but can't get too excited for my grandmother's. Either way, it is a nice treat, lots of work, though.

Scott said:
Thing with fricot is that it varies so much from family to family and even person to person.
Like most good "comfort food recipes".

These posts got me hunting, and I found an "official" recipe (or as official as these things get) from the Chicken Farmers of Canada web page:
3 lbs (1.5 L) chicken pieces, skin removed
10 cups (2.5 L) water
2 large onions, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 Tbsp (15 mL) flour
6 large potatoes peeled and cubed
2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) summer savory

Preparation:

1. In large pot simmer the chicken pieces in boiling water for 30 minutes.
  2. Remove pieces, save the cooking water and let the chicken cool slightly. Sauté onions in butter for one minute.
  3. Add the flour and stir for another 1-2 minutes.
  4. Remove the bones from the chicken and cut the meat into bite size pieces.
  5. Put all remaining ingredients into the saved cooking water and simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Dumplings:

1 cup (250 mL) flour
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
½ cup (125 mL) cold water

Preparation :

1. In a bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder.
  2. Gradually add cold water.
  3. Drop the mixture into the fricot, a spoonful at a time, 7 minutes before the fricot is ready to serve.
How close is this to the family recipes out there?

My Dad's recipe has no dumplings and the chickens he buys are small hens, he boils the meat off the bones and then uses the dregs for the stock. IMO, a good fricot is nice and salty but not too salty, y'know?

Served with cheese/green onion/paprika biscuits

It's the same as meat pie, too many variations to list

Dad always left the skin on, and when Mom wasn't home added some Summer Savory.

Another interesting thing, about the word "fricot".  My parents were from central Italy, and they brought with them a recipe for chicken fricco (free-CO)
94a9ece348aeb2cc83a0d14a93fed89e.jpg

(seen here done with chicken & lamb) that's quite different than these other ones - ours is more of a stew-braise on the stove with wine, rosemary, garlic, capers and olives.

Back