• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Over this last weekend, my wife and I did our Christmas baking and made some great cookies.  Instead of regular chocolate chip or chocolate chunk, make your regular chocolate chip cookie dough and add 1 1/2 Terry's Chocolate Oranges, chopped.  Turned out great!

http://cookwithmitch.blogspot.ca/2016/12/canadian-forces-moose-milk.html?m=1

Canadian Forces Moose Milk

1st time I ever had Moose Milk was when I was onboard HMCS Iroquois.  Then I noticed that it's every where I went when I was in the Canadian Forces.

Canadian Navy Moose Milk

Ingredients
1.14 litre dark rum
1.14 litre Kahlua
1.14 litre vodka
4 litres of vanilla soft scoop ice cream
4 litres of homogonized milk

Directions
Mix gently until frothy with still a few ice cream lumps. Liberally sprinkle nutmeg over top. Enjoy and give vehicle keys to a party staying sober.

Canadian Army Moose Milk

Ingredients
40oz Lambs Dark Rum
40oz Kahlua
40oz Vodka
1 gallon Vanilla Ice Cream (the good creamy expensive kind)
1 gallon eggnog

Directions
Mix all together, breaking up the ice cream a bit. Sprinkle nutmeg on top if you so desire. Stir occasionally as the ice cream starts to melt. Enjoy!

Canadian Air Force
Messes traditionally serve “Moose Milk” at their New Year’s Levees. This alcoholic concoction contains no moose milk whatsoever. The recipes vary, but tend to include eggs, sugar, maple syrup, cream, or ice cream, and some combination of rye whiskey and rum.
The Official (well…sort of) Recipe for RCAF Moose Milk

Anyways, here’s another Canadian recipe for Moose Milk – metric of course.

Ingredients
1 l rum
1 l Kahlua
1 l vodka
3 l vanilla ice cream (softened)
3 l 1% milk (just to be diet conscious)
chocolate pieces (break up a dark chocolate candy bar or two- this is the added secret moose poop garnish)
nutmeg

Directions
Stir together, leave in some lumps. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.

You may need to play with the proportions to suit your palate. It does make a lot, but that usually doesn’t seem to be a problem, somehow it gets used up. Can leave you with a bit of a hangover, probably all that milk. Or maybe it’s heading out for spicy food after – been there, done that.

Note: Courtesy of Cape Breton Post

MOOSE MILK WARNING – Within anything from a few minutes to an hour after imbibing on Moose Milk you will begin to feel the benefits.

Initially a mild feeling of euphoria will overtake you as your metabolism increases its efficiency. Within a very short period thereafter, you will note various other benefits including a massive increase in confidence, pride, intelligence and magnetism to the opposite sex. There are only two possible negative side effects and they can be avoided by following these warnings:

1. If you feel the urge to paw the ground and run head long into a member of the opposite sex. Resist.  Your really not that sexy.

2. Despite the strong cravings you will undoubtedly feel for more moose milk, under no circumstances should you attempt to milk a moose on your own; this job is strictly for the professionals.

Comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

John Tescione said:
MOOSE MILK WARNING – Within anything from a few minutes to an hour after imbibing on Moose Milk you will begin to feel the benefits.

...and here I was, thinking it'd be something to do with people who are lactose-intolerant.  Although, if you didn't know whether or not you were, you'll find out an hour or so afterwards!

:boke:

12122539_1170134796349905_8119419014633241791_n.jpg

For more delicious recipes,

Moose Milk and Other Regimental Drinks 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/290.0
2 pages.

Moosemilk
https://army.ca/forums/threads/20445.0

My project for tomorrow.  Luckily living in Toronto ingridients were easy to find all in one Grocer, Canadian Super Store!  Going to do more slow cooker meals this year, and try my hand at Soude Vide!!

Hot Sour Soup

The contrast in hot and sour flavors makes this Mandarin soup a unique offering.
The hot chili sesame oil and Sour Sauce are intensely flavored, so use
sparingly.
6 first-course servings
1 ounce dried Chinese black mushrooms
3⁄4 cup boiling water
1 quart reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
11⁄2 cups cubed tempeh or extra-firm light tofu
1⁄2 cup bamboo shoots
1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 tablespoon each: finely chopped gingerroot, brown
sugar, cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
12–18 drops hot chili sesame oil or Szechwan chili sauce
Sour Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Combine mushrooms and boiling water in small bowl; let stand until
mushrooms are softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid. Slice
mushrooms, discarding tough stems.
2. Combine mushrooms and reserved liquid, broth, tempeh, bamboo
shoots, vinegar, soy sauce, gingerroot, and brown sugar in slow cooker;
cover and cook on high 2 to 3 hours. Stir in combined cornstarch and
water, stirring 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slowly
stir egg into soup; stir in sesame oil. Serve with hot chili oil and Sour
Sauce.

Sour Sauce
Makes about 1⁄3 cup
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1. Mix all ingredients.

Zebedy Colt said:
Going to do more slow cooker meals this year,

I should follow your example, I don't use mine as often as I should.

Holy necro post.

I'm looking for some German recipes and figure this place is a decent enough one to start. Yeah, I use google, but I figure this is more targeted.

Specifically:
-gulasch
-gulashcuppe
-knodel (obviously)
-rosti

A Koln based creamed style cabbage served as a side ala sauerkraut. I only had it once, somewhere downtown Koln and there was copious 200 ml Kolsch, so I can't exactly do things by memory.

I am kind of shocked that I have only seen one German-esque meal suggested in here. Where are all the Lahr and Baden guys? ;D

I reviewed the beer bread recipe I dropped here a while back. With the explosion of microbreweries in Canada, one can crank out loads of good breads! A good soda bread would be a damned fine addition to a gulaschsuppe, IMO.

We were driven underground by everyone who got tired of us Cold Warriors and our Germany stories.

Scott said:
Holy necro post.

I'm looking for some German recipes and figure this place is a decent enough one to start. Yeah, I use google, but I figure this is more targeted.

Specifically:
-gulasch
-gulashcuppe
-knodel (obviously)
-rosti

A Koln based creamed style cabbage served as a side ala sauerkraut. I only had it once, somewhere downtown Koln and there was copious 200 ml Kolsch, so I can't exactly do things by memory.

I am kind of shocked that I have only seen one German-esque meal suggested in here. Where are all the Lahr and Baden guys? ;D

I reviewed the beer bread recipe I dropped here a while back. With the explosion of microbreweries in Canada, one can crank out loads of good breads! A good soda bread would be a damned fine addition to a gulaschsuppe, IMO.

When I get a hankering for a taste of Lahr and Baden, I sometimes have a look at http://a-schnitzel-and-a-glass-of-wine.blogspot.ca/.  While Janet's blog does get the saliva flowing and stirs memories of defending western civilization from the Soviet hordes (thirsty work that also needed frequent hearty meals), she sometimes includes recipes with the descriptions of her gastronomic adventures.

Scott said:
Holy necro post.

Specifically:
-gulasch
-gulaschsuppe
-knodel (obviously)
-rosti

. . .

FTFY

My German recipe book is 2,000 kilometers away from me right now but these are a few of my favourite websites.

https://germanfoods.org/recipes/

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/

And in the original German:

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezeptsammlung/443473/DEUTSCHE-KUeCHE.html

https://www.essen-und-trinken.de/deutsche-kueche

(Use Google Translate if you need to)

:cheers:

Quick bread made with melted ice cream of I guess any flavor.Gotta get the wife to cook it up,it certainly sounds easy enough.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-ice-cream-bread/

Just made these for breakfast.  Don't let the "skinny" website fool you, they don't taste low-cal at all!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-pizza/

I found the dough fairly sticky and had to add more flour while I was kneading it.  We also cooked them longer (about 15 minutes) until the egg whites were set and the dough was slightly browned. 

PMedMoe said:
Just made these for breakfast.  Don't let the "skinny" website fool you, they don't taste low-cal at all!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-pizza/

I found the dough fairly sticky and had to add more flour while I was kneading it.  We also cooked them longer (about 15 minutes) until the egg whites were set and the dough was slightly browned.

There is nothing wrong with "pizza for breakfast".  Over the years, as it became more acceptable as a morning food option, nutritionists have even suggested that it may be a more balanced meal than the typical North American breakfast of cold cereal and milk.  But alas, as we become more "foody", the essence of "pizza for breakfast" has been lost.  The recipe you suggest is interesting but, if I may, it's not fecking pizza.  Just because someone plops a few ingredients on top of some dough and bakes it, doesn't make it a pizza.  I'll acknowledge that the variety of toppings has expanded in the years since I first had a slice but, feck it, anything more than tomato sauce and cheese (ok, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and anchovies if feeling expansive) is being pretentious.  Pizza eaten in the home should be delivered - unless you have a wood-fired oven in the backyard.  If "breakfast specialty" pizza (with eggs) was a thing then pizzerias would be open at 7 AM.  No, I dispute you* calling this recipe a pizza.  If one wants (nay, needs) pizza in the morning then they should be like the rest of us - leftovers from the night before, usually with a thick layer of congealed cheese (though a quick microwave to loosen it is acceptable), eaten standing up straight from the box that had been left on the counter, clothing optional, and while not limiting accompanying beverages usually anything alcoholic is not recommended or desired (due to excessive consumption the previous evening).  That's how pizza became breakfast.

Also, I can get pizza delivered quicker than the preparation time for this recipe!

* (Edited to strike out suggestion that PMedMoe named this dish "pizza")

:rofl:

Wow...who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?  You'd have been better off with some of my breakfast pizza flatbread with non-pizzalike toppings.  :nod:

;)

Just as an FYI, I didn't name the recipe...

PMedMoe said:
:rofl:

Wow...who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?  . . .

Just as an FYI, I didn't name the recipe...

I did not have cornflakes this morning.  In fact, it's probably close to half century since I last had cornflakes for breakfast, can't stand the things.  I did make an omelet filled with Italian sausage, onions, chopped tomatoes and mozzarella cheese (but I don't call it a pizza omelet).

I have corrected the hint of a suggestion that you named this dish pizza.

Okay.  I still can't tell if you're joking or not.  May I suggest you eat a Snickers bar?

Semantics aside, this is a pretty good recipe (if you're not easily triggered)...

;D

Blackadder1916 said:
-  (though a quick microwave to loosen it is acceptable),

Absolute, and most definitely 'unacceptable' savagery

How can one advocate for nothing less than a wood-fired oven in one sentence and then suggest using a...gasp... microwave for reheating purposes??  Why not just throw that slice of pizza against the wall and drop in a sink full of dirty dishes while you are at it? ;D

If you use a microwave to reheat your pizza then the terrorists win.

I cant even remember that last time I owned a microwave.  I guess someone who doesn't/hasn't cooked professionally would find it acceptable to use one...I guess.  Some people also think the earth is flat, soooo... :dunno:

Its like people who grill steaks on their puny, backyard, easy-bake oven-like bbqs...yeah, even the eggs...that only get to what, 900F??...because they think a steakhouse is overpriced and they can do just as well at home.  :rofl: Hammerheads.  If your grill isn't above 1200F, then that cow died for nothing...

That is a good looking 'pizza' though Moe...

Back