• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Real world Artillery Regts

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Gents,
It is more than easy to find the doctrinal Arty Regt, but I'm loosing track of what is really on the ground as we bring in TUAV & DF capabilities.  I know the regts are not symmetrical, but what do they look like now?

So, I guess this really is a mystery?

MCG we discussed arty transformation in one of the threads (wither the artillery?).  They are moving to that structure as I type this.

sjm said:
We are going from a Reg Force capability of 54 guns in 9 Btys of various designs to 24 guns of the 155mm light gun variety still in 6 Btys of Guns and add 1 Bty devoted to STA. Each gun Bty will drop 2 guns but add 1 FOO Party and one Task Force FSCC.   Each Regt will also gain 2 Tps of Mini UAVs and 1 Tp designated for for a Weapon Locating Sensor system as part of the STA Bty.
Seen.   So each Regt will be 2 x gun btys and 1 x STA bty (including TUAV)?

Is there a concern in the arty world that the number of gun bty does not match the number of TFs in managed readiness?

A couple quick points. People get really anxious when you refer to them as STA Battery's. They will be a normal battery with STA equipment... or so goes the party line.  The BC will still be a field gunner, it will still provide a FSCC and it will still provide a total of four FOO parties, with all the STA stuff going where guns used to go.  Nevertheless, and this is stressed at every level, it is not to be considered an STA battery! (IMHO if it has feathers, quacks and flys south for the winter, it's a duck no matter what you call it).

The discrepancy with the number of guns is to be addressed through reserve augmentation. 

As for the actual number of batteries, I'm not sure how we're going to address that.  I think it's a risk management thing that we will never have so many TFs deployed that we don't have enough batteries.

Odd that.  It is being stressed at the Maj level at the school not to call it a STA battery, but at the LCol level and outside the school they are being called STA batteries

So in the end we will have 1 STA battery with a FOO troop and 2 batteries with field equipment.  ;)

I think it will change a dozen ways from now until 2007.  The unsustainability of STA capabilities as they now sit according to the vague direction in the arty transformation will dictate change.

However, your mileage may vary.

horsegunner353 said:
A couple quick points. People get really anxious when you refer to them as STA Battery's. They will be a normal battery with STA equipment...
I suppose this is a shell game?  If one bty is the same as the next, then you have three in each regt to support managed readiness (but in reality you are taking all the troops from the bty that just came home & stuffing them in the bty that is next to go).  The CoC will observe that it is only short one bty per bde and not two bty per bde.

Back