• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 123 56.4%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
<sarcasm>

Since we are back in the fashion police mode, is it fair to point out that that khaki and brown and "pinks and greens" are all a bit "Johnny-come-lately" while rifle green has its origins in North America, including in Canada, in the 1760s?

A few regiments, the RCD and The RCR being the only to that remain on the regular force order of battle, worse scarlets on active service, having Battle Honours of NorthWest Canada and Saskatchewan to prove it. Several Canadian regiments, including e.g. the Queen's Own Rifles wore green into battle:

royalcanadiandragoons.jpg
rcr.jpg
1885-qor-rifleman-e1536160918310.jpg

Maybe we should be exploiting rather than ignoring our own light infantry heritage ~ less scarlet and khaki (with its attendant focus on the 1930s and 1950s) and more on our "green" roots.

Oh, and multi-coloured field service caps, too, of course, which we wore into battle in South Africa in 1900:
mckerihen_caprcr.jpg

</sarcasm>

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:
<sarcasm>

Oh, and multi-coloured field service caps, too, of course, which we wore into battle in South Africa in 1900:
mckerihen_caprcr.jpg

</sarcasm>

That cap has the same colour as my dog's #2s after she gets chicken.  She's allergic to chicken.

No thanks.

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:
<sarcasm>
mckerihen_caprcr.jpg

</sarcasm>

Or we could bring back the peaked Stetson, which combines price, impracticability, and high maintenance. That certainly is in the finest traditions of the Canadian Army.

quadrapiper

Reaction score
Old Sweat said:
Or we could bring back the peaked Stetson, which combines price, impracticability, and high maintenance. That certainly is in the finest traditions of the Canadian Army.
It does however offer some shade.

Might I suggest shakos for everyone?

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Old Sweat said:

I was going to say - do you work for DLR?  :rofl:

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Dimsum said:
That cap has the same colour as my dog's #2s after she gets chicken.  She's allergic to chicken.

No thanks.

And yet the RCAF is quite proud of its pilfered and re-branded field service cap wedge. :nod:

Canuck_Jock

Reaction score
Overall, the new old rank looks pretty smart. I never saw the point in having a No Name Brand-style triservice uniform. Our Services and Units have such rich histories that preservation of key traditional attire and distinctions should be the default. Sorry, but I really don't rate the US Army's new look, more costume looking than uniform.

However, the late Tans were smart, and it would be good at some point to get khaki back (with Sam Browne). Decent quality material goes a long way.

The Australian Army has recently re-adopted a darker khaki shade for their Service Dress.

new-uniform-800x444.jpg

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Some folks here won't be happy until we all wear this all the time! :)

Attachments

• Dz7OOItX0AAgkc-.jpeg
    Dz7OOItX0AAgkc-.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 223

Kilted

Reaction score
To me, our Green DEU's look way too American, especially with the gold colour ranks. 

torg003

Reaction score
Sorry for the necro-posting, but decided this would be the best place to post this instead of starting a new thread.
Though we all know it would never happen, I would like to see a return to the original CAF Non Commissioned ranks as they were very unique and I like they way they looked. Speaking specifically of the original CPL and PTE 4A ranks (though the PTE 4A becomes PTE Trained). This leaves the single chevron PTE rank as PTE B. Yes that's a bit more Americanization of the ranks, but returning to these unique original CAF ranks is worth it IMO. The only reason the ranks were changed was because it was hard to tell the difference between MCPL and CPL metal rank pins on the collar. Save money and get rid of the collar rank pins and have the army do like the rest of the CAF does and were cloth rank slides on the shirt epaulets. I also did a version with the WO being replaced by Staff Sergeant (with a crown over the 3 chevrons) and the MWO being called WO.

hh-ranks-army-non-alt1.png

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry for the necro-posting, but decided this would be the best place to post this instead of starting a new thread.
Though we all know it would never happen, I would like to see a return to the original CAF Non Commissioned ranks as they were very unique and I like they way they looked. Speaking specifically of the original CPL and PTE 4A ranks (though the PTE 4A becomes PTE Trained). This leaves the single chevron PTE rank as PTE B. Yes that's a bit more Americanization of the ranks, but returning to these unique original CAF ranks is worth it IMO. The only reason the ranks were changed was because it was hard to tell the difference between MCPL and CPL metal rank pins on the collar. Save money and get rid of the collar rank pins and have the army do like the rest of the CAF does and were cloth rank slides on the shirt epaulets. I also did a version with the WO being replaced by Staff Sergeant (with a crown over the 3 chevrons) and the MWO being called WO.

View attachment 70071
While that pic is cool, I don't see how it better reflects the ranks, or the history accrued under the current rank structure.

Frankly, I find the excessive use of maple leaves is already a bit much, we don't need to add to it. Nobody who works with us thinks we are American or British.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
My quick thoughts for the MCpl and below ranks; I’m likely to look for the trade badge and level to get a quick summary of “where they’re at”. Back when I was a young Tpr/Cpl, that seemed to be a “thing”; had to have laurels for street cred; Pte (B) had no trade badge, Pte (T) had Lvl 1 trade badge…

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
My quick thoughts for the MCpl and below ranks; I’m likely to look for the trade badge and level to get a quick summary of “where they’re at”. Back when I was a young Tpr/Cpl, that seemed to be a “thing”; had to have laurels for street cred; Pte (B) had no trade badge, Pte (T) had Lvl 1 trade badge…
Except in the air force, where my QL6B is the same badge as the QL3... I assume you, I can out "weather" the new Pte.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking the stuff above was suggested for the Army only, really, as only Army ranks were mentioned despite saying CAF. There’s no Privates in the RCAF , or the RCN, and the Avr ranks badge isn’t a chevron. WOs and above in Army DEU don’t have a trade badge…

Should the RCAF spruce up our trade badges with QL (DP?) levels or does the rank convey that?

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I was thinking the stuff above was suggested for the Army only, really, as only Army ranks were mentioned despite saying CAF. There’s no Privates in the RCAF , or the RCN, and the Avr ranks badge isn’t a chevron. WOs and above in Army DEU don’t have a trade badge…

Should the RCAF spruce up our trade badges with QL (DP?) levels or does the rank convey that?
In fairness, I'm no longer RCAF, so I don't care what the bus drivers do... In God's branch I don't even had a set of DEU yet, so trade badges are very much a "we don't need no stinkin badges" thing to me.

Fair point about the post though, I'm so old that I sometimes forget the Pte is now Avr in the RCAF. I've called a few of the new Avrs Pte, and they look at me like I have Alzheimer's.

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 70071
If there is no change in duties and responibilities of the actual positions, then changing ranks is a costly, confusing excersize in futility. Why upset the apple cart with an expensive vanity project.

Reactions: McG

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score