• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 123 56.4%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
And the "Elmer Fudd" cap, don't forget that.

CF_2.jpg

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Blackadder1916 said:
And the "Elmer Fudd" cap, don't forget that.

CF_2.jpg

We never did go hunting wabbits......

In all seriousness, can we find a pair of boots that will work?

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Hamish Seggie said:
We never did go hunting wabbits......

In all seriousness, can we find a pair of boots that will work?

I think we'll be fighting giant space insects before we see the boot issue fixed.

Then we will have some old duffs wanting to harken back to heritage boots to improve the morale and tradition of our forces. To help fight off said space insects. ;D

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
rmc_wannabe said:
I think we'll be fighting giant space insects before we see the boot issue fixed.

Then we will have some old duffs wanting to harken back to heritage boots to improve the morale and tradition of our forces. To help fight off said space insects. ;D

Priceless!

I've always wanted to fight giant space insects....and zombies....

J

jollyjacktar

It's a shame the Army is still having issues with the boots.  Our sea boots have come a long way to where they're comfortable and functional.

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
OK, so the Chief of Staff has a nice, new, gold encrusted forage cap, complete with the traditional general officer's red band ...

4bb160cfdcbdb51d38b530e0664115df.jpg

... while the Commander-in-Chief wanders about in the rain with a grubby old beret ...

the-governor-general-and-commander-in-chiefs-military-tattoo6.jpeg

... which one will run afoul of the fashion police?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:
OK, so the Chief of Staff has a nice, new, gold encrusted forage cap, complete with the traditional general officer's red band ...
... while the Commander-in-Chief wanders about in the rain with a grubby old beret ...
Depends on who has the ballsier Sgt-Major  ;D

RedcapCrusader

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:

I hadn't quite finished my morning coffee,  and was thinking "...but the Governor General isn't a general..."

Then I realized just how stupid that thought was as General is right in his title...

It is quite peculiar that His Excellency has yet to be seen with any of the new accoutrements that GOFOs are now sporting. Has he just not been out in public as Commander-in-Chief since the changes or is His Excellency's uniform an exception to the rule as to make sure he stands out from the rest?

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
jollyjacktar said:
It's a shame the Army is still having issues with the boots.  Our sea boots have come a long way to where they're comfortable and functional.

But that was a case of fixing what they had broken themselves on purpose.

The old sea boots of the 1970's were sturdy, non-slippery, good all around protection and yet comfy as a pair of slippers. Then, some idiot decided we couldn't use them anymore because they did not have steel toes (regardless of the fact that there hadn't been a single accident involving toes with the old ones - ever), and we went to parade boots until  a bunch of iteration of sea boots led to the current ones.

Talk about self inflicted wounds !!!

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
In some ways, you have to feel sorry for Canadian General and Flag officers.

After all those years of hard work and effort, they area finally promoted... and revert to wearing a slightly better looking cornflake.

>:D

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
jollyjacktar said:

Sea boots are comfortable for the walk up to the parking lot, and walking back and forth between the mess and your workspace. If you had to walk long distances and carry a heavy load they would kill your feet.

The boot problem faced by the army is much more complicated than reducing weight and adding ventilation like they did with sea boots. That said I'm sure glad we got the new sea boots, saves me having to buy my own boots now.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Oldgateboatdriver said:
BTW, the only reason the Marines general doesn't need a big badge is because  he doesn't need one considering his 76 medals and ribbons on his left breast side of his tunic (which you can't see in the picture - hidden by people in front). This includes, of course his three ribbons for crossing the street without the assistance of his gunnery sergeant (at 3 different camps) and his assistant-deputy-vice-aide-de-camp badge for serving in that role as a 2LT for a two week exercise without spilling the general's coffee even once.  [:D

Actually, unlike most military uniforms these days - there is a new love for Velcro badges off all sorts stuck all over the friggin' place - the Marines don't do 'badges' very much. 

Embarassingly enough, the new Canadian 'operational' badge that I saw was 'Sentinnel' or whatever the hell it was.  There were the Americans, with RANGER or SAPPER or AIRBORNE. 

Canadians?  Sentinel

Please baby Jesus, please make it stop...

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
WeatherdoG said:
Sea boots are comfortable for the walk up to the parking lot, and walking back and forth between the mess and your workspace. If you had to walk long distances and carry a heavy load they would kill your feet.

The boot problem faced by the army is much more complicated than reducing weight and adding ventilation like they did with sea boots. That said I'm sure glad we got the new sea boots, saves me having to buy my own boots now.

Actually, Weatherdog, we were issued the "old" sea boots I am talking about at the beginning of our Basic training at Cornwallis, and for the 9 weeks duration, we ran everywhere we went with those boots on (and rowed - god did we row - a good hour every day at least in the old cutters) as we trainees were not allowed to walk anywhere between wakey-wakey and sunrise. The boot was comfortable enough for that, and I am sure, would have been comfortable enough for heavy loads and long distances - save for the fact that it was ankle high only.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Eye In The Sky said:
Actually, unlike most military uniforms these days - there is a new love for Velcro badges off all sorts stuck all over the friggin' place - the Marines don't do 'badges' very much. 

Embarassingly enough, the new Canadian 'operational' badge that I saw was 'Sentinnel' or whatever the hell it was.  There were the Americans, with RANGER or SAPPER or AIRBRONE. 

Canadians?  Sentinel. 

Please baby Jesus, please make it stop...

Luckily, if you have a set of the old CADPAT, you won't have to wear them:)

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I have 1 set of CADPAT issued at this time;  it's an old set with the slip on and room for the (apparently too small) normal size flag.  Thankfully, I only wear them 2ish times a year so they should last me until I am CRA. 

Most days I have 5 Velcro items that have to go in place.  Still beats having to unhook boot bands from my socks every day!

Ostrozac

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:

Well, the Governor-General wears his uniform in accordance with the latest published version of CFP 265. The CDS does not. Shades of Bradley vs Patton?

But then again, we're all of us mostly all in technical violation of the rules as written. Has there actually been an update of CFP 265 that includes pips and crowns? The latest version I can find is from 2011, and does not. I suspect the rewrite is trapped somewhere behind our rather dated joint combat doctrine, which has just rediscovered the value of the tripod-mounted TOW (someone in doctrineland must have finally read the AAR from the Vietnam War).

J

jollyjacktar

WeatherdoG said:

I am quite sure they have serious problems.  The pieces of garbage I was issued in 09 for the last tour in the sandbox had me torn to ratshit in no time flat.  I went to the NAFFI and purchased an excellent pair of German boots which were light years ahead of our issued boots. 

J

jollyjacktar

Oldgateboatdriver said:
But that was a case of fixing what they had broken themselves on purpose.

The old sea boots of the 1970's were sturdy, non-slippery, good all around protection and yet comfy as a pair of slippers. Then, some idiot decided we couldn't use them anymore because they did not have steel toes (regardless of the fact that there hadn't been a single accident involving toes with the old ones - ever), and we went to parade boots until  a bunch of iteration of sea boots led to the current ones.

Talk about self inflicted wounds !!!

I had a pair of those low cut boots too.  The did have steel toes in them, sadly they had all the shock absorption of plate steel as well.  That, wasn't comfortable.