• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 123 56.4%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
[Paging Scott Taylor]

All right them, how about "A pissed off Corporal can do more to improve the lot of service personnel than the chain of command."

[/Paging Scott Taylor]

>:D

:facepalm: Arrghh!

Reaction score
I've read on this forum that pre-unification, the army salute was with the palm facing outward. Are there any plans to revert the current standard to how it was earlier?

My apologies if this post is in the wrong thread.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Allgunzblazing said:
I've read on this forum that pre-unification, the army salute was with the palm facing outward. Are there any plans to revert the current standard to how it was earlier?
Why?  There is already far to much effort wasted into changing back the clock for the sake of changing back the clock.
Maybe instead, those who want to live in the past just go buy themselves some whitewall tires.

This roll back the clock slippery slope needs to come to an end.
The new old uniforms probably will happen because we don't need them but the fetishists seem to have the ear of those in power.  Good thing we don't need operational clothing sorted out. ::)

wannabe SF member

Reaction score
MCG said:
Why?  There is already far to much effort wasted into changing back the clock for the sake of changing back the clock.
Maybe instead, those who want to live in the past just go buy themselves some whitewall tires.

This roll back the clock slippery slope needs to come to an end.
The new old uniforms probably will happen because we don't need them but the fetishists seem to have the ear of those in power.  Good thing we don't need operational clothing sorted out. ::)

Well I heard this rumor today at 1 Div HQ that they were considering bringing back the battledress as garrison wear.
:sarcasm:

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Allgunzblazing said:

Would reverting to the old salute not necessitate the "un-unification" ( New word for the undoing of unification/break up.) of the Canadian Armed Forces back into three distinct Services and all the inefficiencies involved?  The Canadian Armed Forces is comprised of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian Army; a whole new organization that deserves a "Common Salute".  Not really relevant, as so many these days don't know how to give a proper salute anyway.

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Jacky Tar said:
No, no... Bloggins was always a Gunner's Mate... Leading Seaman Gunner's Mate Bloggins. :)

Apparently Bloggins was such a problem that he got kicked from service to service.

Ah Infamy, thy name is Bloggins. ;D

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Jacky Tar said:
No, no... Bloggins was always a Gunner's Mate... Leading Seaman Gunner's Mate Bloggins. :)

Okay. Okay. I'm prepared to share Bloggins. We still claim Herbie though.

:cheers:

Jed

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, What about Buddy?  My domestic niner keeps wondering who this Buddy guy is.

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
George Wallace said:
The Canadian Armed Forces is comprised of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian Army

And CJOC and SEFCOM and other organizations.

The three that you mentioned are just renamed environmental commands, rather than separate services again.

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loachman said:

The three that you mentioned are just renamed environmental commands, rather than separate services again.

Those were the phrases I was looking for. 

Thanks

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Loachman said:

This is complicated a bit by the fact that the Comd RCN has made it very clear that the RCN is not just an environmental command.  His direction is that all CF personnel in naval uniform are members of the RCN.  It would be nice if more of them had actually at least seen a ship before....

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Allgunzblazing said:

It was only palm outward for the Army and Air Force.  The current CF salute came from the Navy and has been that way since the middle of the 19th Century when sailors were directed to turn their palms down because Queen Victoria didn't like to see their tar-stained hands. 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pusser said:
This is complicated a bit by the fact that the Comd RCN has made it very clear that the RCN is not just an environmental command.  His direction is that all CF personnel in naval uniform are members of the RCN.  It would be nice if more of them had actually at least seen a ship before....

I take it he failed that OPDP back in the day.

myself.only

Reaction score
Pusser said:
His direction is that all CF personnel in naval uniform are members of the RCN. 

Well, I'm guessing that's pretty much recognizing that the members see themselves as in the navy, don't they?