• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-opening application

MMSS

Reaction score
So the short version of my story is, in 2004-2005 I went through the application process for the CF. Took the aptitude testing, medical, interviews. I was on track for DEO however was subsequently informed that I had failed the medical due to poor vision (nearsighted -6.75 diopters) and my application was closed. Since that time I have completed my degree (BCompSc) and have been working in civilian industry.

I am now at a point in my life where I can afford laser corrective surgery and I am very interested in doing so. Since I would no longer fail a re-examination would the recruitment centre re-open an application or has too much time elapsed (ie, should I just assume that I am re-applying from scratch)?

If we assume it's a new application from scratch, would my previous application have any bearing on the new one? For example, I had noted Signals as my career path however am now considering MARS or NCS ENG.

Thanks in advance for the kind replies, and also the not-so-kind ones ;)

Although I am not a recruiter, I believe you will be starting a new application 'from scratch." Also, your previous trade choices will not affect what you want to choose in a new application.

Thanks for the quick reply. I expect the same answer when I speak with the recruiters however I have found it is never a bad idea to bounce ideas off of others who may know more than I do.

For the record I had my LASIK surgery 4 days ago. Now it's hitting the gym, planning to submit application for end of January.

Spoke with a pleasant Sgt at the RC in Fredericton. He provided me with the File Transfer form necessary to move my previous application from Halifax to Fredericton as it is the closest RC to my current location. He also asked if I had written the CFAT (I have) so it sounds like I may not need to rewrite it.

It's been a long journey, with some unexpected delays along the way, but I sent in my new application this morning.

Mailed in copies of my transcripts and birth certificate on March 11. Got an email this morning that they have been received and are being processed. Baby steps I know, but at least they're in the right direction.

I'm waiting too... applied last year but some delays prevented me from making the cut last year.  I had refile the application online this time, as opposed to taking it in to my local RC.  Called North Bay the other day, and they are getting geared up to start the reviews of applications received very soon.

Best of luck to both of us!  :salute:

estoguy said:
I'm waiting too... applied last year but some delays prevented me from making the cut last year.  I had refile the application online this time, as opposed to taking it in to my local RC.  Called North Bay the other day, and they are getting geared up to start the reviews of applications received very soon.

Best of luck to both of us!  :salute:

Good luck, friend. Nice to at least see some progress. What's your desired trade?

Pilot, Infanty, ACSO... but I'd also be interested in Armour, Artillery and TDO.

estoguy said:
Pilot, Infanty, ACSO... but I'd also be interested in Armour, Artillery and TDO.

Good luck. I'm hoping to go navy myself... MARS, NCS Eng, Logistics were my choices. Based on what I've seen here, NCS Eng and Log are only looking at "ideal" degrees so my B Comp Sc may not cut it - MARS is first choice anyway.

If anyone's interested, I have also been on a journey to lose weight and increase my strength and stamina. Since last year I am down more than 30lbs and have nearly completed the couch to 5k program - today I ran about 3.3km in 25 minutes, which is amazing for someone who never used to be able to run a single lap of a track without stopping. My goal is to run in a 5k on April 7 (2 weeks away.) Ambitious, I know - but I didn't come this far to half-ass it.

MMSS said:
My goal is to run in a 5k on April 7 (2 weeks away.) Ambitious, I know - but I didn't come this far to half-*** it.

Good luck man. You can do it.

When I first got into running, I remember how I could barely run a lap, too. It only took a few weeks for me to be able to run a 5k.
About a year later now, I am hoping to run a 1/2 marathon in May.

PS: if you have an iPod/iPhone, USE NIKE+. Its incredibly motivating.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. Running has definitely gone from agonizing to enjoyable - I may never win a marathon but I really don't want to be that guy who can't keep up with morning PT.

A little off-topic, but what has your experience with the surgery been like? I'm only -1.00 in each eye, but considering it in the future.

Also, I'm another DEO applicant and I submitted my files to NB around the same time you did. Hope they forward our stuff soon!

Trick said:
A little off-topic, but what has your experience with the surgery been like? I'm only -1.00 in each eye, but considering it in the future.

Also, I'm another DEO applicant and I submitted my files to NB around the same time you did. Hope they forward our stuff soon!

Good luck with your application. Hopefully your adventure with the CF doesn't take as long to begin as mine has.

The surgery was a complete success, and has literally changed my life. For most of my life I was helpless without my glasses - most people don't realize that just taking a shower or waking up in the morning means not being able to see until you put them back on. I was always wary of playing sports growing up in case I broke them, so I missed a lot of opportunities. Laser eye surgery is definitely one of those "I can't believe I'm living in the future" technologies, at least for me.

Well, we have movement. Just got the notice that they have sent my file to the local CFRC.

"We have received copies of all of the required forms and documents from you.  Your application is ready for processing in accordance with CF Recruiting priorities. "

mmmjon said:
Good luck man. You can do it.

When I first got into running, I remember how I could barely run a lap, too. It only took a few weeks for me to be able to run a 5k.
About a year later now, I am hoping to run a 1/2 marathon in May.

PS: if you have an iPod/iPhone, USE NIKE+. Its incredibly motivating.

I agree. When I was doing the couch-5k I had Nike + going at the same time so it could record my average running speed. The couch-5k is an awesome program though. I completed it about a month ago and two weeks ago I ran 10k on a whim so it works!

Yes, I have really been surprised at how well the plan works for a novice runner. Coworker just did a half-marathon on the weekend, not sure when I can aim for that but I'm infinitely closer than I was before I started.

MMSS said:
Yes, I have really been surprised at how well the plan works for a novice runner. Coworker just did a half-marathon on the weekend, not sure when I can aim for that but I'm infinitely closer than I was before I started.

Yeah the Fredericton half marathon. My friend and I were supposed to walk that to help her prepared for Nijmegen.

Back