• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-designing the P64 Rucksack

F

fraserdw

Hello

I am retiring next year and I am thinking of hobby to keep the wife and I happy.  She is an industrial

seamtress and I am a worn-out P-cat'd army guy.  We are considering redesigning the P64.  Do you think the P64 is past it's time? I would like to get feedback on some ideas I want on a bag:

- Use the original bag shape

- Make it fittable on the ALICE, P64 and DEI 1606AC frames

- MOLLE/PALS webbing on the outside sides of the bag

- Daisychain webbing to use the issued CTS pouches on the bag

- Key pocket to secure keys when not needed

- Internal radio pouch with antenna hole (could be used for hydration)

- CADPAT, Multicam, Coyote and Olive, possibly Blaze Orange for hunters?

- Use ALICE style shoulder straps with sternum strap

- Use Internal Frame Pack style waist belt with MOLLE/PALS webbing to add pouches to belt

Which of these ideas are workable and which would you reject?  Am I wasting my time doing yet another

revision of this old bag?

I have also thought about an improved copy of the Molle 1 US Army rucksack in CADPAT with a restyling

of the sleep carrier to resemble the lower end of CTS rucksack.  What do you think?

Breaking into a market that is probably over-saturated is likely not going to be easy.

Or cheap.

Not that a hobby is supposed to be cheap.

I like all the ideas, except the internal radio pouch, simply because this would make the pack alot taller, and most people lash their 522's above the bag anyway.

Also, would you do the three pouch design and MOLLE sides, or MOLLE all around? And would the lid have an "inflated" pocket or a flat sleeve?

Molle all round the 3 sides and no pockets, let the owner design his own system.

Not sure about the lid, I think an inflated lid would make the valise harder to secure, what do you think?

fraserdw said:
Molle all round the 3 sides and no pockets, let the owner design his own system.

http://www.dropzonetactical.com/backpacks/64-alice-pack/64-alice-pack.php

Yup, 240 bucks for the bag alone, it does not fit any frame but the ALICE and olive and coyote only.  They will not entertain any request for any modifications.

No, because they manufacture in lots, not individually. Custom work does not pay enough for them.

Custom work may be a niche that you can exploit.

A friend of mine in Woodstock, Ontario, did that back in the mid-eighties with a single sewing machine and built a rather impressive business from there over several years.

I have seen others, in other fields, say "I can make that cheaper" and try it. Yes, they can, as they found out - but they could not make a decent living by doing so and subsequently ceased trying. Market forces generally dictate prices - costs of tools, materials, shipping, labour, marketting etcetera all have to be factored in. And most of those costs have to be paid in advance.

Thats what I was thinking, when I suggested Blaze Orange for hunters, also the 1606 frame allows you to furniture that frame will youth sized bag and straps for say ..... scouts and cadets.

Loachman said:
http://www.dropzonetactical.com/backpacks/64-alice-pack/64-alice-pack.php

Nice to see the Bren Gun pounch mentioned. Makes me feel young again!

Back