• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP union bid headed to Supreme Court

For the record, on reflection, I'm gonna eat my words of a year back- I'm no longer opposed to unionization. My reservations all still remain, but having gained more appreciation of some of the brutal shortfalls in manning and some of the delays and deficiencies in implementing reforms aimed at officer safety, I can see where a union would potentially help to make some necessary changes happen faster. I don't want to see the RCMP given the right to strike, and I think the silly camo pants BS in Montreal is exactly that - silly and BS - but the ability to at least take something to binding arbitration is reasonable. RCMP pay lags is comparison police forces as well; I'm not big on raising any fuss about that, though it does impact recruiting and retention. But manning and officer safety are definitely two issues where a labour relations model that gives more strength to members would potentially be beneficial.

Brihard said:
For the record, on reflection, I'm gonna eat my words of a year back- I'm no longer opposed to unionization. My reservations all still remain, but having gained more appreciation of some of the brutal shortfalls in manning and some of the delays and deficiencies in implementing reforms aimed at officer safety, I can see where a union would potentially help to make some necessary changes happen faster. I don't want to see the RCMP given the right to strike, and I think the silly camo pants BS in Montreal is exactly that - silly and BS - but the ability to at least take something to binding arbitration is reasonable. RCMP pay lags is comparison police forces as well; I'm not big on raising any fuss about that, though it does impact recruiting and retention. But manning and officer safety are definitely two issues where a labour relations model that gives more strength to members would potentially be beneficial.

I was a member of a union that did not have, seek or support the right to strike. Binding interest arbitration allowed us, and the city's Fire and Police unions, to
increase our numbers on the streets without a strike or lock-out.

Although not a strike, "Metro ( Police ) went on a slowdown over two-man cars."
https://www.tpa.ca/about-us/history/

It went to arbitration, and the union won. The Toronto Police Services Board challenged it all the way the Supreme Court of Canada and lost.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/two-officer-rule-too-costly-former-mayor-1.987799

All three of the Emergency Services in this city have been unionized since World War One.

ETA: "the brutal shortfalls in manning"

Emergency services unions have "Public Awareness Campaigns" to get taxpayers on board with staffing concerns. It concerns them too if emergency response times are compromised.

The MPPA is pushing for Collective Bargaining and Binding Arbitration. This change in labour relations will be good for all members, we will no longer be the Zellers of policing. The pay council report that was recently released was scathing....yes we are cost effective, because we get paid less and do more, most of it on VOT. All of it with less support and inferior equipment.

The SRR must go and with it their guaranteed promotions for not rocking the boat. Additionally the MPPA has come out with a Legal Fund, which is well worth the 50$ a month for 100K coverage per year.

Noneck

I don't know members that want to strike or wear Cami pants or withdraw services. I do know members who are frustrated with a Staff Relations system that seems ineffective in representing the membership.

Members are tired of seeing the pay fall further and further behind other police services. Most of whom who don't have to put up with transfers, loss of spouses jobs and many other factors that make the financial circumstances in the RCMP much different than just about every police force. The is no RCMP "factor" in our pay calculations comparable to the CFs.

Members are tired of paying fair market value for housing (much of it past its prime and in need of work) in isolated communities where often the local residents pay no rent ( on reserve, in company towns) and have your rent tied to distant communities ( larger and with many more services) as they are the closest (distance) comparator for TBS.

Members are unhappy with a human resources system (lateral and promotional) that has slowly been transformed so that "fit" ( as determined by Mgmt) is the most important factor.

Members just want a voice and don't trust what we have now and see no improvements unless the Govt - Snr Mgmt are forced.

Imagine if Cpl Bloggins posted at Edmonton Garrison and 3 other NCMs were you channel to move issues up the chain. And they met with all the senior staff and the GO 3 Can Div ( who also signs Bloggins and the others assessments, endorses their guaranteed promotions while acting as reps and controls their transfers after they stop being reps). What faith would you have in Bloggins when he regularly tells you sorry that he couldn't help on that issue or another.

How much faith do you have in Bloggins when he returns to the BN after 11 years as a "rep" and as a MWO!

Just perspective.

I doubt they'll win the right to strike. They are considered essential services. Will there be work slowdowns, etc? More than likely, but nothing says you can't follows the policies and procedures to the letter and take your time doing it.

Brihard said:
I don't want to see the RCMP given the right to strike,

They are not asking for it, according to "Our Mission" ( page 2 ):
http://mppac.ca/Documents/ServiceStar/ServiceStar1109.pdf

"We do not seek or support the right to strike."

I am a member and it is certainly going to make for interesting times...I had worked for a municipal police service before joining the Force and was unionized. Our current SRR program is broken and needs fixed. A full blown union/association is probably not the all out answer either. At the end of the day, we'll be paying ridiculous union dues and still deal with the same issues we do now.

Back