• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP To Receive C8 Carbines

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
RCMP officers to get new gun that fires more bullets (CTVNews)

The Canadian Press

Date: Friday Oct. 21, 2011 10:03 AM ET

EDMONTON — The RCMP is beefing up the firepower of officers on patrol with a weapon now used by the army and police tactical squads.

Starting next year, the C8 patrol carbine -- a cut-down version of a rifle similar to an M-16 -- will be made available to front-line RCMP members.

More Here http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20111021/rcmp-funs-bullets-carbine-111021/

A new gun that fires more bullets?

I guess they have 10 year olds coming up with headlines now

Funny, when they got the MP5's back in the 80's, same sort of stink, except for the fact some were being carried openly along Embassy row in Ottawa and some dumbass had an ND with one.

And the MP5 carries the same number of bullets per mag, but I guess they've forgotten about them...

MM

I thought they already had C7s...if not in the trunk of the cruiser, then back at the detachment armoury.

The article doesn't mention it, but according to a very similar article in our local paper, they're buying 375 units... at a cost of $2800 each... one hopes that includes parts, training, and service...

Perhaps they had older versions and are upgrading? - please note, I am a civilian and my knowledge of firearms is limitted to "don't point it at anything unless you want it dead."

a Sig Op said:
RCMP officers to get new gun that fires more bullets (CTVNews)

The Canadian Press

Date: Friday Oct. 21, 2011 10:03 AM ET

EDMONTON — The RCMP is beefing up the firepower of officers on patrol with a weapon now used by the army and police tactical squads.

Starting next year, the C8 patrol carbine -- a cut-down version of a rifle similar to an M-16 -- will be made available to front-line RCMP members.

More Here http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20111021/rcmp-funs-bullets-carbine-111021/

"A cut-down version of a rifle similar to an M-16"

Yeah, this is Canada; shouldn't the media say C7?  Or why didn't they just say it was similar to an M4, which technically would be more accurate, no?

The general public recognizes the term "M16", less of them recognize the term "M4" and even fewer recognise the term "C7".

Aside from that, they're all derivatives of the M16, so correct.

There are C7/C8s in the RCMP arsenal now, but they are for use by the Emergency Response Team members.  This new purchase will provide a new tool in the toolbox to supplement the existing shotguns and scoped rifles available to members at the detachment level.

I am cool with it. The police in most cities are already outgunned by the criminal elements. These rifles wil hopefully level the playing fields, I pray without a high cost to innocents. :2c:

Back