• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Status

Rearadmiral

Inactive
Reaction score
I once read that the RCMP has status as a CF regiment with the right to carry a standard, but I've also read that this isn't the case since some members were absorbed during some conflicts and that was all.  I done some (liimited) research and the evidence is conflicted.  Any thoughts?

1) Is the RCMP a regiment?

2) Are RCMP Officer ranks (Inspector and higher) commissioned in the same way CF officers are (ie Queen's Commission)

3) Are there any rank equivalents between us and them?

Information appreciated

Think this was asked and answered before but I will humor you,

Although it is a police force, the RCMP has the status of a regiment of dragoons, and as such is entitled to wear battle honours for its war service as well as carry a guidon. It was awarded this status in 1921, with its first guidon presented in 1935. As a regiment, the RCMP mounted the King's Life Guard at Horse Guards Parade in 1937 leading up to the coronation of King George VI.

The rank system of the RCMP illustrates their origin as a paramilitary force. The insignia were based upon the Canadian army of the time, which is almost identical to that of the current British Army. Higher ranks have been increased over the years since the formation of the force, whereas the rank of inspector, which was initially a subaltern, is now a field officer level, the lower officer ranks having been dropped. With the military introducing the warrant officer, the RCMP non-commissioned officers were maintained using the older military style.

Name of rank in English Name of rank in French Number Insignia
Commissioner Commissaire 1 
Rcmp-commissioner.jpg

Deputy Commissioner Sous-commissaire 8 
Rcmp-depcommissioner.jpg

Assistant Commissioner Commissaire adjoint 25 
Rcmp-asstcommissioner.jpg

Chief Superintendent Surintendant principal 58 
Rcmp-chiefsuperintendent.jpg

Superintendent Surintendant 159 
Rcmp-superintendent.jpg

Inspector Inspecteur 373
Rcmp-inspector.jpg

Corps Sergeant-Major Sergent-major du corps 0
Rcmp-corpssergeantmajor.jpg

Sergeant-Major Sergent-major 7 
Rcmp-sergeantmajor.jpg

Staff Sergeant-Major Sergent-major d'état major 9 
Rcmp-staffsergeantmajor.jpg

Staff Sergeant Sergent d'état-major 788 
Rcmp-staffsergeant.jpg

Sergeant Sergent 1,716 
Rcmp-sergeant.jpg

Corporal Caporal 3,100 
Rcmp-corporal.jpg

Constable Gendarme 10,666

All info from Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Thanks for the answer Grinch.  I searched here and didn't find anything re my question. 

Guess I got the touch, lol

Inputed "RCMP has the status of a regiment of dragoons," into the search and got 2 hits, this thread and Ceremonial Horse Units

EDITED TO ADD:

Maybe venturing into this sub-board might help also RCMP

What function do the Staff Sergeant Major, Sergeant Major and Corps Sergeant Major ranks fill within the RCMP and why are there only 9, 7, and 0 of them respectively?  I take it that since there are 788 Staff Sergeants and 373 inspectors that promotion from Staff Sergeant to Inspector is the normal career progression path, and that Staff Sergeants are supervised by the Inspectors, not the handful of Sergeant Majors.

Correct,

Again from wikipedia,

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Sergeant Major is a rank in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. While technically it is the 6th level of rank, below Corps Sergeant Major and above Staff Sergeant Major, it, along with the other two, are specialized ranks and not part of the normal progression, which would proceed from Staff Sergeant to Inspector.

Promotion from NCO to Officer rank in the RCMP can occur directly from the rank of Cpl onward.

The three S/M ranks are charged with the responsibility of dress, drill, deportment, ceremonial and the bastions/guardians of the Force history. They are usually found at the Sub Division, Division, Region and National HQ's respectively.

Our Guidon has several battle honours on it.

Noneck

So what would motivate/enable a Staff Sgt to pursue promotion to one of the Sergeant Major positions rather than commissioning to become an Inspector?

It seems like this is a lot different from the military, where most NCMs stay NCMs.  Only the odd one or two takes CFR to become an Officer.  Given the numbers posted above, it looks like nearly all RCMP members who are in a position to keep climbing the ladder go the opposite route and take their commission vice becoming a Sergeant Major.  Why is that?

The NFLD Grinch said:
Sergeant-Major Sergent-major 7 
Rcmp-sergeantmajor.jpg

Staff Sergeant-Major Sergent-major d'état major 9 
Rcmp-staffsergeantmajor.jpg

The order of these two surprises me.  Looking at both the names and the insignia I would have expected that Staff Sergeant Major would be the higher of the two.  Can anyone with a first-hand knowledge of this confirm or deny?

willy said:
It seems like this is a lot different from the military, where most NCMs stay NCMs.  Only the odd one or two takes CFR to become an Officer.  Given the numbers posted above, it looks like nearly all RCMP members who are in a position to keep climbing the ladder go the opposite route and take their commission vice becoming a Sergeant Major.  Why is that?

I would guess it's because there is no direct entry as a commissioned officer in the RCMP; all officers start as NCMs.  However, like in the Forces there are a lot more officers than very senior NCMs.

Neill McKay said:
The order of these two surprises me.  Looking at both the names and the insignia I would have expected that Staff Sergeant Major would be the higher of the two.  Can anyone with a first-hand knowledge of this confirm or deny?

That's the way it is. If you think about it, it makes sense. What's next in the Staff Sergeant rank? Staff Sergeant Major. Then You have the Sergeant Major, and then the Corps Sergeant Major. I can see what you mean by the badge it self, but thats the way the RCMP chose to do it, and that's the way it shall be for the RCMP.

Rearadmiral said:
2) Are RCMP Officer ranks (Inspector and higher) commissioned in the same way CF officers are (ie Queen's Commission)

Anyone care to answer this one? As I always assumed they did have the queens comission/were entitled to a salute.

RCMP officers hold a Queen's commission, the same way CF officers do.  Staff Sgt Maj is a lower rank then Sgt Maj.  It took me a while to get my head around the lingo and badges of rank when I was in trg.  Up until a few yrs ago, there was only 2 Sgt Maj in the entire Force, one with the Musical Ride and one at Depot.  There were no Staff Sgt Maj and the thought was the rank was going to be done away with.  Since about 2002 or so, Staff Sgt Maj have reappered in most divisions.

Jay

bick said:
RCMP officers hold a Queen's commission, the same way CF officers do.  Staff Sgt Maj is a lower rank then Sgt Maj.  It took me a while to get my head around the lingo and badges of rank when I was in trg.  Up until a few yrs ago, there was only 2 Sgt Maj in the entire Force, one with the Musical Ride and one at Depot.  There were no Staff Sgt Maj and the thought was the rank was going to be done away with.  Since about 2002 or so, Staff Sgt Maj have reappered in most divisions.

I understand (from the media) that there is one sergeant major in New Brunswick who is a detachment commander and also has responsibilities for dress, deportment, etc. throughout J Division.  Apart from that, what do sergeants major and staff sergeants major normally do?

They have been re-introduced into the Divisions to look after drill, ceremonial, dress and deportment.  While in Depot, our Sgt Maj was a barrel chested Frenchman who could out bench press most, if not all, of the recruits in trg.  I believe Sgt Maj T retired as of late.

Jay

Back