• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP pwns Newspaper Editor

Everybody loves fireman and paramedics. 

Not everybody.
City of Toronto - Protective Vests:
"The preliminary cost for outfitting all paramedics was approximately $500,000.00 not including replacement costs due to attrition."

"Violence Against Canada's Paramedics":
http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/episode/2009/10/23/violence-against-canadas-paramedics/
"Geordie Smyth, a 33-year old paramedic from Port Hope, Ontario, once worked for Toronto EMS. But a series of violent attacks left him psychologically traumatized. He ended up trading his seniority in Toronto for a less stressful posting as a medic in a community 100 km east of the city."

"More than two-thirds of paramedics abused while at work: study":
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/29/more-than-two-thirds-of-paramedics-abused-while-at-work-study/

Edit to add
HOUSE OF COMMONS CANADA
BILL C-495

An Act to amend the Criminal Code (emergency medical services workers)

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

(1.1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of an emergency medical services worker acting in the course of his or her duties.

PUNISHMENT

(2) Every one who commits an aggravated assault under subsection (1) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

That's beautiful. It really, really is. I don't have much time for people who give cops a hard time for doing their jobs.

I got stopped like that. This summer. Well, not under the same circumstances, but I'd been out, had a a little, thought I was fine, and these guys were getting in the way of my getting on with my night. And I blew enough to get a warning. Big shock and big lesson learned for me, fortunately with relatively minor consequences in hindsight. I didn't get pissed at the cops, in fact, on actually considering the incident (and seeing the guy who was in fact legally impaired they hauled away), I'm glad those guys are there doing what they do.

Lesson learned for the editor and everyone else: never forget cameras are everywhere, and your story is going to come out sooner or later, not necessarily they way you want to tell it.

Like the story of the woman who left the bar at 9:30 and was in an accident (401 ?) 20 minutes later.....

Gap,..that was 9:30 in the morning I believe.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/02/10/19366276.html

Driver in head-on 401 crash left bar at 9:30 a.m.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Gap,..that was 9:30 in the morning I believe.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/02/10/19366276.html

Driver in head-on 401 crash left bar at 9:30 a.m.

I thought so too when I initially read the article, but somewhere else in the article AM changed to PM

I think this is what made me change my mind....

A spokesman for the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) told QMI Agency that Korin Howes, 23, of Belleville, Ont., arrived at the Angry Beaver pub around 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 5.

She worked there and probably drank after shift....

I don't know about Trenton, but there were plenty of  booze cans   "after hours clubs" in Toronto.

Rifleman62 said:
Just before I left for the South, I bought a lone patrol Constable a Timmies  as he was busy in his car. Thanked him for looking after us citizens. He did look surprised.

Similar response from a couple of traffic guys running a speed trap outside my house when my wife gave them a bunch of home made cookies.

MM

Sierra Kilo said:
Hey, don't feed traffic guys!  It only encourages them...

Yeah, but it's hard to look severe when you're munching on warm chocolate chip cookies................ :nod:

My house is at a 4 way where a lot of f*&ktards speed/run the stop signs, etc.  I've got no grief encouraging them.

MM

Fair enough.  Incidentally, the editor has posted an unconditional apology on the Osoyoos Times website...

medicineman said:
Similar response from a couple of traffic guys running a speed trap outside my house when my wife gave them a bunch of home made cookies.

MM

The funny thing about this world is if you are a law abiding citizen you will rarely ever have something bad to say about the police. I like seeing them driving past my house; it's my tax dollars paying for a protection service. I brought a young officer a coffee as she was on "picket" alone for hours at a murder on my street. She was utterly surprised and grateful. I'm pretty certain she poured it out after I left however I figured it was the thought that counts.

Sierra Kilo said:
Fair enough.  Incidentally, the editor has posted an unconditional apology on the Osoyoos Times website...

Can you post it here? For whatever reason that page on the Osoyoos Times website won't load for me.

Editor apologizes for comments

I owe a sincere and heartfelt apology to Cpl. Ryan S. McLeod of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for comments that appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 8 edition of the Osoyoos Times.

I fully realize the experienced officer was only doing his job the night in question and my over reaction to what happened between he and I was inappropriate, regardless of what transpired during those 20 minutes.

It was also inappropriate to insist the encounter was embarrassing and humiliating as the officer was respectful at all times in conducting his duties.

Police officers have a very difficult job to do and Cpl. McLeod was simply performing his duties on the night in question and it was not appropriate for me to react the way I did and for that, I remain deeply sorry.

As has been pointed out to me in clear detail since this incident, Cpl. McLeod takes the issue of drinking and driving very seriously and he is well within his rights as a police officer in British Columbia to pull over anyone he suspects may have been consuming alcohol.

Once the readings were revealed, the officer did tell me I was free to go and, once again, there was a complete over reaction on my part.

I realize I let emotion get the better of me, which I sincerely regret.

As a veteran journalist, I know the power of words and much of the language and comments I made about Cpl. McLeod in the performance of his duties were uncalled for.

Cpl. McLeod did not at any time attempt to humiliate or embarrass me and he handled himself professionally and was not confrontational during our encounter.

He did not deserve to be singled out for simply doing his job and I remain truly sorry for what has transpired.

Cpl. McLeod does not make the laws of Canada or British Columbia, but simply enforces them and my inability to acknowledge and recognize this comes with deep regret.

My written account was unfair to Cpl. McLeod and fellow RCMP officers and I assure you this will not happen again.

I deeply regret this incident ever occurred and the damage I have caused to Cpl. McLeod’s reputation.

Keith Lacey

Editor - Osoyoos Times
http://www.osoyoostimes.com/news/2012/02/12/editor-apologizes-for-comments/

Well, at least he apologized.

Well good for him...takes some stones to do that, not to mention alot of black feathers tickling his gullet from the crow he had to eat.

MM

cypres78 said:
Sucks eating humble pie...or eating "I'm going to apologize because my lies are on video" pie

Pretty much the same thing isn't it?

He recognized the shot across the bow- a public spokesperson for the RCMP does not lightly use the term 'slander' in a released statement, never mind twice. That accusation thrown out twice accompanied by an offer to release video was a quiet but definite ultimatum. Very well played on the part of the RCMP.

Oh man...owned.

medicineman said:
Well good for him...takes some stones to do that, not to mention alot of black feathers tickling his gullet from the crow he had to eat.

MM
I will give credit for that - although the writing style of the apology is quite different from the editorial.  Could a legal beagle have been involved in an extra layer of editing?  :nod:

Brihard said:
He recognized the shot across the bow- a public spokesperson for the RCMP does not lightly use the term 'slander' in a released statement, never mind twice. That accusation thrown out twice accompanied by an offer to release video was a quiet but definite ultimatum. Very well played on the part of the RCMP.
Agreed - and a very quick and nimble response.

yoman said:
Also attached here in case the link doesn't work.

Back