• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP officers told not to wear symbol depicting ‘thin blue line’

No, criminal charges for police officers are very rare. But if you’re gonna beat the shit out of your wife, or drive drunk, or engage in corruption with tow truck drivers, or threaten to kill your tenant- those are deserving of criminal charges. I think what’s happening now is police officers are less likely to get a free pass from other police as a result of greater oversight and lessened tolerance within the profession for bad cops.

For criminal charges to be laid there have to be reasonable grounds for criminal charges. Now, BS internal disciplinary charges are another matter and can be much more prone to abuse.

Good thing they have a cracker jack shop steward on the job! :)

Good thing they have a cracker jack shop steward on the job! :)
The union won’t cover members for off duty criminal conduct, just the associated internal code of conduct stuff. And actually those are easy- “here’a the inbox for legal”.

The union won’t cover members for off duty criminal conduct, just the associated internal code of conduct stuff. And actually those are easy- “here’a the inbox for legal”.
I am 100% on board with charges in clearly criminal actions. Even applying a higher standard across all statutory offences since a cop should know better.
But I have seen where our Management felt it would “look” better for transparency to charge a member criminally knowing the RGs were tenuous at best. Fully aware there would be no conviction In the end.
I would suggest that pay and benefits was a strong driver for the creation of the NPF for the RCMP membership. I think that a lack of leadership and personal responsibility at the top was just as much a driving factor.
I won’t delve into the the Pandora’s box of Code decisions here.

I am 100% on board with charges in clearly criminal actions. Even applying a higher standard across all statutory offences since a cop should know better.
But I have seen where our Management felt it would “look” better for transparency to charge a member criminally knowing the RGs were tenuous at best. Fully aware there would be no conviction In the end.
I would suggest that pay and benefits was a strong driver for the creation of the NPF for the RCMP membership. I think that a lack of leadership and personal responsibility at the top was just as much a driving factor.
I won’t delve into the the Pandora’s box of Code decisions here.
Largely agreed. Interestingly, the union's fighting some internal conduct decisions through federal court now, particularly on the subject of code of conduct convictions for off duty incidents where internal conduct has been applied too broadly. There have already been a couple wins.

Largely agreed. Interestingly, the union's fighting some internal conduct decisions through federal court now, particularly on the subject of code of conduct convictions for off duty incidents where internal conduct has been applied too broadly. There have already been a couple wins.
Yes it is good to see.
I think the “fixes” that LRI made from the ponderous old Code were too broad and did not have appropriate and timely safeguards for the membership. Appeals of suspensions or reassignments taking months or even years often not being ruled on before the Code was done. It will take a few years of NPF wins to bring back the balance that the membership and the RCMP needs. But it’s a good start.

Hollywood and pro sports are what we really should focus on defunding. Basically useless, and only serve as a distraction for the masses.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. They're paid millions for playing a sport or appearing on screen.. it's ridiculous.

If people stopped watching.... as I throw the Raptors game on, followed by the Leafs at 10.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. They're paid millions for playing a sport or appearing on screen.. it's ridiculous.
It’s also consensual market dynamics... The sports franchises are able to bring in so much money that they can afford to pay those players what they pay. Same deal with entertainment or film. Nobody makes you buy tickets, or buy the movie, or sign up for six optional sports channels on your cable package.

Back