• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

Blackhorse7

Inactive
Reaction score
Info for potential applicants.  

I was sent a message that one of the moderators that an RCMP section has been opened up.  Should anyone have any questions about recruiting, equipment, training, etc, I will do my best to answer them.  Thanks to the moderators, and to Slim for assisting in bringing this section to my attention!

it seems by the news that the RCMP are actively recruiting right now is this right?

To put it mildly.  There are numbers that suggest over the next five years, the RCMP is going to be fully %40 at retirement eligibility.  Now, of course not every one of those subjects will be leaving, but Depot has been, and will be running flat out for the next five years at least.

What an excellent thread to have, and your a fountain of information, i'm sure this thread will do really well, Cheers bud!!!  :cdn: :salute:

Well, I'm a fountain of something... it's not youth, it's not info, but it does rhyme with "rap".... ;D

I was trolling around the RCMP website and found...This!

RCMP Uniform 

The Strathcona Boot

http://www.rcmp.ca/uniform/boots_e.htm

In 1901, an Order-in-Council was issued stating that all members of the Force would be required to wear the brown Strathcona-style boot. This particular style of riding boot had been designed by the Slater Shoe Company of Montreal for Strathcona's Horse, a military unit that served in the South African War.

Prior to 1901, commissioned officers were permitted to purchase their own black boots privately, whereas other ranks were issued a brown knee boot. It was felt the variations did not contribute to a uniform look which the Force wanted to project.

After the major uniform changes in 1901, all riding boots were brown, and black ankle boots were kept only for dress occasions. Throughout the years, though many patterns and fits have been tested for increased comfort and wear, the style of the Strathcona boot has remained relatively unchanged

Slim and Blackhorse7 thanks for the idea and the info that has come forth.
I have three cousins who are Policeman,two are R.C.M.P. and the other is O.P.P. and all three are brothers. :salute:

Good to hear, hope they are enjoying their careers no matter where they are.  One thing the RCMP and OPP share is that you can be posted to some pretty remote places...

I have been thinking of applying to the RCMP.  I'm just wondering if I should wait to obtain my full 'G' class Ontario drivers licence before applying.  I currently have the 'G2' intermediate.  I've been out of school for two years since graduating HS, and am going back to school next year once I move back to Ontario.  I'll be 20, and I know that's pretty young, but I'd atleast like to get involved in the process so I'm in the system.  I've been advised by some OPP members that applying early familiarizes you and let's them know you've been interested at later dates if the primary attempt isn't so successful, is it the same with the RCMP?

My RPAT test results should be in real soon im sure i passed it this time, if not third time is a charm right ?

Blackhorse7 said:
Good to hear, hope they are enjoying their careers no matter where they are.   One thing the RCMP and OPP share is that you can be posted to some pretty remote places...
Got that right,the one in the OPP was up in Souix Look Out now down in Kingston on Marine Patrol now.
As too my two Queens Cowboy's,one is in the Nanaimo Det. and the other is in Vic. Det. on the Island.
And I'm proud of all three of them. :cdn: :salute:

Play on words.  It runs down your leg when you drink too much draft. Cr*p, dude...

Blackhorse:

Can you confirm or deny this..........Are the RCMP recruits being required to PAY THEIR OWN TRAINING FEES, for their room and board at DEPOT??

I heard this on a Toronto radio interview program, on CFRB 1010, and was amazed that any one would take that kind of a financial gamble to get thru the depot part of the course. The figure quoted was more than $8,000 and no refunds if you fail the course.

Secondly, the number of females who are able to pass the course has been steadily falling, and so have the standards for them and the minority candidates. Care to comment on how many interview points a white male has to get, compared to a Aboriginal female? I have heard the white guy better have a Mohawk Grandmother to have ANY chance to get accepted. Or he would need a French familiy name from Quebec and speak French as though he was a Prof at Laval University. On the other hand if he is a visible minority, he will get a spot on the training roster, no doubt.

Your comments?

Jim B.

NONECK:

So let me see if I have this straight............

RCMP recruits are PAYING to go thru their training, by paying income tax ???

Isn't that kind of like saying they are PAYING to be trained ?

And about that big difference between the white guys required mark, to get in depot, and EVERYBODY ELSE"S mark. What does that say about EQUALITY in hiring practices?? Doesn't it seem very much like the RCMP is trying to become all female. or all vismin force?  The last time I looked, the vast majority of people in this country are still white .

Jim B. Toronto.

Easy jim; I understand your sentiments on reverse discrimination, but watch your tone lest this thread devolve into bickering along racial lines.

The RCMP has been something ive been considering for a career off and on for a while now... more so on lately.

Some things im not clear about:
Do you get paid while youre being trained? I was under the assumption it was very similar to how it works in the army... you live in a barracks and eat at a mess hall etc etc, you get your money at the end of the month.

Basic recruits get paid in the army, i see no reason why they wouldnt in the rcmp but i could be wrong  :-\

How long did it take any of you to get through the recruiting process? A friend of mine has been waiting 3 years (He's black, just commenting on this bizarre testing requirements ill comment on in a moment) and hes still being processed.... He's in my platoon and has been in longer than I have. He also works part time as a commissionaire... to me, he would seem like an above average candidate...

Im a white male... I think I have some experiences that would help me out... I can think quickly on my feet and I am very good when it comes to interviews.... I'm still in fairly good shape, however as the years go by, this is subject to change  :p
I also consider myself a fairly intelligent guy... how hard can these tests be ? Is it more geared towards your own ability to think and process things, or is it more towards how suitable you are personality wise, for the RCMP ?

Just wondering what my chances of being selected are.... or how long of a time frame I would possibly be looking at from now if I began an application, to when I actually leave for Regina.

Thanks!

I can't remember the specifics from the info session, but IIRC you don't get paid, which is why the RCMP wants you to have a few grand banked before you go (you can get a student loan for this).   The RCMP will pay for the course and your room and board but you have to take care of the rest (incidentals, weekends, etc, etc) on your own.

The length of the recruiting process varies - a big variable is how well you do on the RPAB, as that determines your position on a national list.

Here is the RCMP recruiting site - go through it in detail, especially the FAQ; they also have a sample of the RPAT test (1 of 2 tests on the RPAB) which is what you'll be doing on the test.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/regular_member_e.htm

Infanteer;

Warning noted , but how about this instead..........Recruit based on the census, with the ratio of white versus others set by the last census of Canada? That would "refelect the face of Canada" wouldn't it?

And how about this for an idea...............PLace a lot more weight on the physical ability of ALL the candidates, so that the small size females would not make it thru as armed cops, and then go directly to the gun instead of being able to "fight" it out with a subject on the street.

Jim B.

jimb said:
And how about this for an idea...............PLace a lot more weight on the physical ability of ALL the candidates, so that the small size females would not make it thru as armed cops, and then go directly to the gun instead of being able to "fight" it out with a subject on the street.

(I agree that there aught to be one standard for everyone andthat standard should be high.

That being said we have to deal with what is...Not what should be.

Policing today is not the same as policing 20 years ago. Different things are now priorities...I don't nesseccarily agree with all of them but that's the way it is.

Slim

Back