- Reaction score
The latest from the bombings in Sherwood Park, AB.
RCMP identify suspect in Sherwood Park explosions as Kane Kosolowsky
Jonny Wakefield & Juris Graney Updated: November 8, 2018
“Out of character.” Those were the words a grieving family used Thursday to describe the actions of Kane Kosolowsky, the suspect linked to a pair of explosions in a Sherwood Park parkade earlier this week.
Even the family says it has no idea what drove the 21-year-old to do what he did Tuesday night in the multi-level parking area of the Strathcona County Community Centre.
At this stage, nor do the RCMP.
“We … are shocked and devastated by the unfortunate incident,” said a statement issued by the RCMP on behalf of unnamed family members.
“We are thankful that there were no other persons harmed in this unexpected incident.
“The events that occurred are totally out of character for Kane and we trust that the authorities will continue a thorough investigation to provide the answers we are all seeking.”
Officers found a severely injured Kosolowsky in the community centre parkade at around 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, not long after reports of an explosion and a fire. He was rushed to hospital where he later died. Autopsy results released Thursday revealed he died from a gunshot wound. Police say they are not looking for any further suspects.
Few details about Kosolowsky’s life have so far trickled out. A court record search showed he had no criminal record in Edmonton. His social media accounts show that he liked the gym and he liked cars.
About two hours after the first explosion, a second one shook the building prompting evacuations of neighbouring buildings including Festival Place, county hall, an aged care facility and Salisbury Composite High School.
Salisbury Composite and nearby St. Theresa’s Catholic school remained off-limits to students Thursday but were scheduled to reopen Friday along with Festival Place.
There was no known threat to any schools in the surrounding areas, police said.
The community centre parkade is still a crime scene but roadblocks in the area are expected to be removed soon. Additional investigation into the explosions inside the parkade is anticipated to take several days.
Despite the fact the explosive disposal unit and RCMP special tactical operations unit have deemed the area outside of the parkade safe, county hall will remain closed until late next week.
An initial structural survey has been conducted but there is no timeline on when the community centre will open again.
While Mounties have not identified any motive for the attack, the fact the RCMP major crimes unit is leading the investigation, rather than the force’s integrated national security enforcement team (INSET), offers some indication of law enforcement thinking.
RCMP K Division spokesman Fraser Logan said the major crimes unit is handling the investigation because “there is no indication that this incident is related to any group or ideology.”
“The major crimes unit will continue to work through partners, such as INSET, to ensure we investigate all avenues as thoroughly as possible.”
Strathcona County set up a phone number for people with vehicles still in the parkade to contact.
Anyone trying to retrieve their vehicles is asked to call 780-417-7100.
“County departments continue to ensure that essential services are delivered to our community,” Strathcona County Mayor Rod Frank said Thursday in a statement.
“In that regard, we appreciate our residents’ flexibility with respect to how and where they access these services.”