• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Career Progression

F

Felix-19

Hey,

I was wondering if someone could describe to me the career progression options of an RCMP member.  Specifically, what is the minimum amount of time one must work on regular patrol before being able to specialize in things like canine, narcotics, homicide etc.  I searched the RCMP website but came up dry.  Thanks for your help.

The usual benchmark is about three years service.  The idea being that you have has some time to get a least a glimpse of most of the things you will see in the future.  I have to be honest, I have been in for 7 1/2 years now, and I am not sure that 3 years is enough.  It's not just about learning the ropes, it's about being a seasoned investigator as well.  I'll give you an example. 

I am a member of two specialized teams.  I am in Traffic Services, which contrary to popular opinion is not all about going out and being a ticket machine.  I am also a member of the CCIT (Criminal Crash Investigation Team).  This team treats major crashes or incidents involving vehicles used in criminal manner that result in crashes in much the same fashion as homicides.  We got the call to attend an incident in Northern BC a couple of days ago, but could only drum up two investigators to go.  Myself, and another member at 2 years service.  That forced me to assume the role of Team Leader AND Primary Investigator, while the junior member took the role of File Coordinator.  The area was very remote, and had next to nothing in the way of proper facilities.  I made the decision in many cases to make due with what we had rather than have to cart people back and forth to do interviews.  The junior member was quite distraught with this, feeling we were going against case law.  Which we were.  But as a more seasoned investigator, I know that as long as you could articulate why certain things took place, we would be fine.  The only difference between me and the other member is experience.

Just wanted to clarify one thing.  BC is much different than the rest of the provinces, just because of size.

Outside of BC things usually take a little longer.  I've been in for 5 years, in Manitoba.  We don't have the large number of specialty sections that BC does.  We just don't have the population to justify it.  Therefore, generally it takes longer to get on a specialty section.  If you go north to an isolated post you may get to a specialty section on your next transfer at 3 years, but generally its much longer.  I became a Forensic Traffic Collision Analyst at 4 years service and there two others in the province with the same service and this is very unusual.  However, in Manitoba our Traffic Services unit is so small that we only have about 8 traffic analyst whereas when I was on the course last summer in Chilliwack, BC our instructors were telling us that BC had 90 traffic analysts all of which are on traffic services.  In Manitoba 3 or 4 of our 8 are on regular detachments and do the traffic analyst work as an extra duty whenever we are called.  We are on call for traffic collisions 24/7.  In the same respect we have only one Serious Crime Unit that does our murders, armed robberies, etc.  Just one unit of about 10-12 people located at HQ in Winnipeg and that's it.  There are about four Major Crime Units that assist detachments with major investigations, usually stuff that happens throughout several different detachment areas and needs a central coordinator.  Like a theft ring that occurs in four different detachments or stuff like that.  Three of those units are 3-4 man units and one is about 8-10.  So you're only looking at 30-40 MCU/SCU members in the whole province so that's why you can't expect to get on the section at 3 years service, but the odd one does.  There is only one Drug Section in the whole province, one I&P section, many sections have only one unit with a few people.  We have only 3 PSD (K-9) members in the whole province.  Only four of our biggest detachments have a General Investigative Section (GIS), each of 2-3 members, whereas my troop mates in the Lower Mainland BC tell me how every detachment has GIS, MCU, Vice, etc and all their long term and serious investigations are turned over to a specialty section.  That doesn't happen in the prairies.  I've done several sexual assaults, three attempted murders and major thefts with no help from any specialty section. 

Thanks again for your guys' responses.  I find it interesting that it is only 3 years, although it seems to vary quite a bit depending on the service.  I know that the Edmonton Police Service only requires 2 years (according to their website) while Vancouver requires 5. 

What Mountie says is true... it does depend on where you are.  Coincidentally, I am moving towards a position as a Collision Analyst as well.  I go on my level 2 in July, and am starting to go out on fatal callouts with the local Collision Analyst.

A good friend of mine who has been in the RCMP for approx 9 years just got his promotion to Sgt.  He spent most of those 9 years in small town Manitoba

I knew a guy like that in Brandon , MB.  Did a few years in drugs and thought he was super cop but after his glorious stint he was back driving the same boring gravel roads as all the other members.

Back