• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Pilots survival vest

Baz said:
Since everything in the Cyclone is different, so is the survival gear.  It is a derivative of the air warrior system.  What it has and doesn't I don't know, it is all black though. I think its earlier generation of this:
https://peosoldier.army.mil/portfolio/index.asp?id=6f5ad3a8&pagenumber=166#159

The the first batch are all black. The rest will be sage green.

The contents of Sea King LPSV and SLBP (Slim Line Back Pack) are pretty much the same except on the Cyclone gear more stuff is carried in the LPSV vice the Back Pack. The new back pack is thinner but stiffer and is probably less comfortable than the Sea King SLBP when sitting. Improvements will be the an integrated holster, instead of the makeshift Sea King LPSV holster, and for the back-enders the integrated Crewman Restraint Harness (CRH) with a quick release. No more Monkey Tails.

h3tacco said:
for the back-enders the integrated Crewman Restraint Harness (CRH) with a quick release. No more Monkey Tails.

Prototype picture below.  ;D

71b8699c95c2a36e93ec772bcf32f355.jpg

SupersonicMax said:
We have a Sig with 2 mags (8 rounds per) when flying over hostile territory. 

Why only 8 rounds in the magazines? (I'm assuming its 9mm)

I'd guess it has something to do with the springs in the magazine being compressed too tight over time reduces their ability to feed rounds out the magazine when the SHTF.  To counter that, sometimes mag's are under-loaded.

Or it could be because the magazine capacity of a Sig 225 is 8 rounds.

I know that we are running some small arms microfleets -- Sig 226 is also floating around the system. As is the classic Browning. Is the 225 the standard for fighter aircrew?

hajjmich said:
Why only 8 rounds in the magazines? (I'm assuming its 9mm)

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd guess it has something to do with the springs in the magazine being compressed too tight over time reduces their ability to feed rounds out the magazine when the SHTF.  To counter that, sometimes mag's are under-loaded.

Ostrozac said:
Or it could be because the magazine capacity of a Sig 225 is 8 rounds.

I know that we are running some small arms microfleets -- Sig 226 is also floating around the system. As is the classic Browning. Is the 225 the standard for fighter aircrew?

>:D

....or Pilots can't count past eight.    :dunno:

Mag capacity of the 225 is 8.  That's why. I don't know why we have te 225 vs 226 (is it even in thr system?), but in all honesty, 8 or 16 per mag isn't going to help you much against a polar bear or an infantry section...

Eye In The Sky said:

Which is pure bunk, springs may loose their elasticity but it isn't from being loaded for the time periods we load them for/  The 225 narrower than the 226 and the rounds go in the mag single stack only leaving room for 8 (although there are larger mags they will extend out).  Smaller dainty hands have a better time with the 225 for this reason.  :p

MJP said:
Which is pure bunk, springs may loose their elasticity but it isn't from being loaded for the time periods we load them for/  The 225 narrower than the 226 and the rounds go in the mag single stack only leaving room for 8 (although there are larger mags they will extend out).  Smaller dainty hands have a better time with the 225 for this reason.  :p
Yup, a spring can stay compressed forever and not lose its tension. What ruins them is people stretching them thinking they're making them stronger.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the P226 20 round magazines if they were legal.

UFI; the P225's, if those are the same pistols that MPs use, need a specific type of 9mm ammo because the regular issued 9MM ball won't cycle the action properly apparently.

recceguy said:
Yup, a spring can stay compressed forever and not lose its tension. What ruins them is people stretching them thinking they're making them stronger.
So I can leave my Sig mags loaded and it won't ruin them?

Meh, I don't care either way but, I'll have to correct the Wpn's Tech's and RTF folks when they say the springs compress after time.  I've personally never tested the theory.

;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Meh, I don't care either way but, I'll have to correct the Wpn's Tech's and RTF folks when they say the springs compress after time.  I've personally never tested the theory.

;D

Springs are designed for a certain capacity. When they are at that limit, they will remain at it. It's when a spring is pushed or pulled out of its elastic range that it enters the plastic stage, then it will take a set. A permanent set in a compression spring is a condition where the spring is deflected (compressed or stretched) and does not return to its original free length. During deformation in the elastic stage (normal) no set takes place. What does take place though, is that through repeated load\ unload cycles, the metal will fatigue and lose strength making the spring weak.

More often, the main fault with mags is the lips, not the springs. Though most can't look at the lips and discern a fault, so they go after the spring.

Rgr.  Tks.

I'm going to try to remember that one for my next 9mm trg @ WRTF.  ;D

No point not having your mags loaded.  My mags are loaded and locked away in the ammo cans.

Zoomie said:
No point not having your mags loaded.  My mags are loaded and locked away in the ammo cans.

Mine are loaded and sitting next to their pistols in the safe ;)

recceguy said:
Mine are loaded and sitting next to their pistols in the safe ;)
Nod...  As are mine.  I've had to be a bit more responsible and put all mags and pistols back in the safe.  Come tornado season, I bring the 9mm out and lock it up in the storm shelter.

For eye in the sky and h3tacco....a trial of a crh in a Griffon.....no monkey tail required. And there is a story behind this...

Back