• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Pilots survival vest

hajjmich

Inactive
Reaction score
I am just curious and have been wondering this for a while:

-Do Aircraft Crews have survival vests?
-If yes, What does it include
-Does it included a firearm/sidearm
-if yes, can you use your own sidearm
-Which aircraft does this system apply to?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Michel

hajjmich said:
-Do Aircraft Crews have survival vests?

Some do, yes.

hajjmich said:
-If yes, What does it include

Depends on the aircraft/mission. Usually basic survival gear, first aid stuff, signaling gear, survival jujubes. Sometimes a life vest is attached or other maritime survival things. Not exactly an exhaustive list, but not going to pull mine apart right now.

hajjmich said:
-Does it included a firearm/sidearm

Some crews carry firearms, depending on the mission, but it is not part of the survival vest.

hajjmich said:
-if yes, can you use your own sidearm

No

hajjmich said:
-Which aircraft does this system apply to?

Generally anything tactical.

ObedientiaZelum said:
What kind of firearms do the crews carry?

We carry the Browning hi power in the multi world, only on missions where it is required though.

Would you ever bring along something like a .22 carbine for survival like an AR7?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7
Or a C8 if you're over hostile territory?

There are two basic type of LPSV (Life Preserver Survival Vest) used by, not only pilots, but all aircrew and PAX.  IIRC, one is used for ejection seat and one for non-ejection.  Can't remember the exact names.

Not only is it the crew individual survival vest, it is also their PFD for ditching.

We have a Sig with 2 mags (8 rounds per) when flying over hostile territory.  The content of the vest can be customized to some degree but not much, since space is somewhat limited and ALSE techs don't like it when we remove or add things...  The bulk of our survival equipment is in our seat pack, which we can't customize.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Would you ever bring along something like a .22 carbine for survival like an AR7? 

Twin Otter crews carry COTS rifles/shotguns.  SAR crews carry milspec hunting rifles that can be broken down and strapped to their bodies.

I carry a pocket-knife and a mean scowl.

Tac Avn uses the Browning or Sig Sauer.

C8's were carried overseas.

Eye In The Sky said:
There are two basic type of LPSV (Life Preserver Survival Vest) used by, not only pilots, but all aircrew and PAX.  IIRC, one is used for ejection seat and one for non-ejection.  Can't remember the exact names.

Not only is it the crew individual survival vest, it is also their PFD for ditching.

LPSV - Life Preserver Survival Vest

UCLP - Universal Carrier Life Preserver 

UCLP Is basically a bib that has an inflatable bladder speed-laced to the collar and several small pockets that carry mandatory items for CF life preservers.  (Strobe light , whistle and sea-dye marker or signal streamer)

I guess what we call LPSV is really a UCLP then?  This is the same one used at the Sea Surv School @ Quadra.

Not really EITS.  The survival vest is a full vest and its contents are dictated by either mission or airframe. IE: fighter SV's are not equipped the same as transport. There will be some similarities in survival contents. Like the SV's used for say Op Mobile had contents as per 1CAD HQ direction. There were a few items not normally used in the LRPatrol airframe. The one in the pic on far right side is def a UCLP and it looks like the others are also.

LPSV is the full surround mesh vest whereas the UCLP is a mesh front and straps at the back with 3 pockets for the mandatory items for CF Life Preservers.

Hope this one is more informative.

Bear in mind, there is a whole new system that was being looked at for service before I pulled the pin, I am fairly certain it's not in service as of yet.

I'm really the only one to make this joke so far?

These are standard issue as well:

HotelCardsBW-1024x768.jpg

Roger that...I guess what I meant was, we just usually refer to it as "LPSV" regardless of which model, although we are usually kitted out with the UCLP.  I'm not sure I ever heard the UCLP called that before.

When I did BSERE, we used the SV minus the LP (just the full mesh vest) and on Sea Survival we used the UCLP complete.  Both were referred to as LPSV or "your vest".

Cheers

Towards_the_gap said:
I'm really the only one to make this joke so far?

These are standard issue as well:

HotelCardsBW-1024x768.jpg

Once again, people bring it up like it's a bad thing.  ;)

krustyrl said:
Bear in mind, there is a whole new system that was being looked at for service before I pulled the pin, I am fairly certain it's not in service as of yet.

Since everything in the Cyclone is different, so is the survival gear.  It is a derivative of the air warrior system.  What it has and doesn't I don't know, it is all black though. I think its earlier generation of this:
https://peosoldier.army.mil/portfolio/index.asp?id=6f5ad3a8&pagenumber=166#159

I saw that stuff on some USAF helo crews recently.  Very nice and well thought out.  Much better than our current rather Ad hoc approach to ALSE.

Back