• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF MP fined for sleeping on job while guarding PM's aircraft

If this happened in the US military[and it does] he would receive Non Judicial Punishment loss of some pay and a stripe for this type of offense.

ArmyVern said:
Bang on.

And, as to the newspaper comment regarding, "it should have been a 129 and a COs parade" (I'm guessing he means lad should have been charged with 129 and had a Summary Trial vice a CM), Court Martial can and do happen for "mere 129s" - why do people think they can't be CM'd on 129s??  ;).

I know I'm weighing in late on this one, he was charged with 129, being An ACT/CONDUCT or NEGLECT to the prejudice of good order and discipline, in this particular airman's case the later, and there are many circumstances that would make section 129 offence to be electable.  In fact because the offence does not relate to the maint of military kit, or training it is therefore electable.

As for the Summary Trial vice CM this was likely the lads election and not forced by the Military Justice System, if it was forced it would likely have come with other offences such as section 124 with a max punishment of dismissal with disgrace. (it should also be noted that a CM may dismiss a member with disgrace in relation to an offence under section 129).

Be careful what you wish for, a CM has much higher powers of punishment.

Pusser said:
Unless this loophole has been closed since I last dealt with it, even a conviction under Section 130 does not result in a criminal record.  It simply means that the offender has been found guilty under the NDA (not part of the Criminal Code) of something that is considered an offence under the Criminal Code.  In other words, he/she has been found guilty under the part of the NDA that says everything in the Criminal Code is a service offence as well (saves on the printing costs of having to repeat everything in the CC into the NDA).  I ran into this with a subordinate once who had previously been found guilty under Section 130 and was now seeking a pardon.  The report back from the RCMP said he didn't need a pardon, because he had no Criminal Record.  In other words, no Criminal Code conviction because he'd been charged and found guilty under the NDA vice the CC.

It was closed, see Division 6.2 of the National Defence Act.

Ummmm correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure some one will) but don't MPs guard the PMs jet?

Tank Troll said:
So why doesn't it say Military Policeman fell asleep guarding PM's jet

You expect the media to get all the details ?

Tank Troll said:
So why doesn't it say Military Policeman fell asleep guarding PM's jet

It doesn't matter because most civilians think this way:

Army - Tankers or Foot Soldiers;
Air Force - Pilots or guys that look at radar screens; and
Navy - Depending on which movie they watched they are thought of as battleship or aircraft carrier captains, naval aviators, or submarine captains.

The RCN and RCAF have made it clear that they are claiming ownership of anyone in their uniforms, regardless of their trade and regardless of where they are posted.

So it's accurate to call this offender an RCAF airman - Old Yeller is yours and you have to take responsibility for him.

...or an "RCAF military policeman."

RCAF = organization witin th CF

Military policeman = job function

At the end of the day, the MCpl's duties were in the function of an aircraft security officer (ASO), responsible for ensuring that the security quarantine on the PM's aircraft is maintained prior to the PM boarding the aircraft.

Regards
G2G

I recall a girl I worked with overseas got caught sleeping while monitoring a camera system....pretty boring job, but she was just fined and told she was a piece of junk etc. Most people take a summary trial over a court martial, unless they really think they did not do something wrong.

I wish they would publish the regimental summary trials. Would give a better picture of things happening.

What percentage of trials go to court martial? Very, very few from what I understand.

Pieman said:
I wish they would publish the regimental summary trials. Would give a better picture of things happening.

What percentage of trials go to court martial? Very, very few from what I understand.

Annual reports on military justice are posted that provide that sort of detail.  A quick bit of Google-age (if that's a word) should help you find what you're interested in.

Pieman,

What DAP just said.

And while explict details about summary trials are not available, the results of each and every court martial decision are published on the same website and they make excellent reading.

Ah, okay thanks. I had looked but clearly not closely enough.

Anyway, I always made sure to attend the summary trials in my regiment, was a great form of entertainment for me. Oh, another interesting one was a couple guys in my regiment decided he really wanted to go home. So he lied about his grandmother dying and got compassionate leave. I really thought he was going to the slammer for that one, but no.

Good2Golf said:
...or an "RCAF military policeman."

RCAF = organization with in the CF

Military policeman = job function

At the end of the day, the MCpl's duties were in the function of an aircraft security officer (ASO), responsible for ensuring that the security quarantine on the PM's aircraft is maintained prior to the PM boarding the aircraft.

Regards
G2G

That is his DEU element not his organization, he is a Military Policeman. To say he is in the RCAF because he wears a blue uniform is to say Donald Duck is in the Navy because he wears a sailor suit. We had a couple of Armour Crewman that worked a stewards on the airbus they wore blue flight suits didn't make them RCAF Airmen. Same as guys attached to the Helicopter Sqns they collect flight pay and fly around on the birds but they are still not RCAF Airmen. I know just ranting, but I wish some one would vet these stories before they are published.

Jim Seggie said:
What you say? Donald Duck is not RCN?

You have shattered my world  ;)

shhhh....he's an underwater operative Jim......keep it under your.....er.....hat?

Jim Seggie said:
What you say? Donald Duck is not RCN?

You have shattered my world  ;)

Well, Donald Duck doesn't wear pants - that makes him more of a highlander than a sailor.

Back