• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

nametags4u said:
Hello,

I work at the US company that make the leather nametags for the jackets. Lately I have been receiving requests to make more occupational badges available however the contact I had who was able to approve these for official wear is gone. I have been unsuccessful at contacting any else that can help. Canex does not know who to contact.

The title of the person who contacted us originally was Aide de Camp to the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force but I believe she has retired. If anyone can contact the person who now has that title perhaps they could help or establish a new approval process.

If the badges can be officially approved then as per our agreement, we will pay the dies charges for the metal stamps required for printing the badges on the tags. Otherwise, the cost must be passed on to the person requesting the new badge, and the badge can not be put in the official list, so they run the risk of wearing an unapproved badge. (not that anyone would know)

-Dom

PM sent.

Cheers
G2G

I feel this is a stupid question to have to ask, as I am sure the official supplier wouldn't be selling them if they weren't authorized, but where is the authorization to wear half wings on the jacket? I have been asked to prove that it exists, but am away from work station and can't look at CANFOR or CANAIRGENS to confirm.

Any help at all is appreciated.

bLUE fOX said:
I feel this is a stupid question to have to ask, as I am sure the official supplier wouldn't be selling them if they weren't authorized, but where is the authorization to wear half wings on the jacket? I have been asked to prove that it exists, but am away from work station and can't look at CANFOR or CANAIRGENS to confirm.

Any help at all is appreciated.

Who is telling you to prove it?  For what it's worth, I saw an AERE BGen wearing his leather jacket this morning, and it had the single-wing AERE badge on the name tag...

Another CIC officer.The discussion came up whether or not the CIC half wing could be worn on the jacket, as the badge for DEU's has not been put into the production stage. I was told that half wings weren't authorized, and while I couldn't remember where it was written down, apparently the official suppliers ordering page was deemed not official enough.

bLUE fOX said:
Another CIC officer.The discussion came up whether or not the CIC half wing could be worn on the jacket, as the badge for DEU's has not been put into the production stage. I was told that half wings weren't authorized, and while I couldn't remember where it was written down, apparently the official suppliers ordering page was deemed not official enough.

CANAIRGEN 10/14 refers:

UNCLAS C AIR FORCE 15/14

SIC WAA

BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

CANAIRGEN 10/14

SUBJ: RCAF LEATHER JACKET  UPDATE TO PRE-SALE INFORMATION

THE FOLLOWING IS AN UPDATE TO CANAIRGEN 7/14 WHICH PROVIDES MORE INFORMATION ON THE OFFICIAL RCAF LEATHER FLIGHT JACKET.

1. PAYMENT OPTIONS - CANEX HAS KINDLY OFFERED THAT MEMBERS WHO WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE RCAF AVIATORS JACKET, DURING THE PRE-SALE PERIOD ONLY (UNTIL MAY 9TH) MAY CHOOSE TO HAVE IT FINANCED INTEREST FREE WITH THE CANEX S CREDIT PLAN. THE FINANCING OPTIONS ALLOW FOR PAYMENTS TO BE MADE OVER A PERIOD OF UP TO 12 MONTHS ON APPROVED CREDIT ON THE PRE-SALE PRICE OF 399.99 DOLLARS PLUS TAX DURING THE PRE-SALE PERIOD ONLY FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE MEMBER ELECTED TO HAVE THE PAYMENTS COME OFF THEIR PAY FOR THE 1 MONTH PERIOD, THE PAYMENTS WOULD BE 33.34 DOLLARS PER MONTH PLUS TAXES BASED ON THE PROVINCE YOU LIVE IN. IF THE MEMBER IS REGULAR FORCE THEY HAVE TWO OPTIONS:

A. PAYROLL DEDUCTION: IF THE MONTHLY PAYMENT IS 33.34 OVER 12 MONTHS, IT WILL BE SPLIT IN HALF AND 16.67 DOLLARS WILL COME OFF EACH PAY FOR THE 12 MONTH PERIOD

B. PRE AUTHORIZED DEDUCTION: IF THE MEMBER GIVES A VOID CHEQUE, AND THE MONTHLY PAYMENT IS 33.34, THEN IT COMES OUT ON THE 15TH OR 30TH OF EACH MONTH AS ONE PAYMENT. (MEMBER CAN SELECT EITHER THE 15TH OR THE 30TH) IF THE MEMBER IS A RESERVIST OR A VETERAN: THE PAYMENT OPTION FOR RESERVE FORCE OR A VETERAN IS PAD: PRE-AUTHORIZED DEDUCTION - A VOID CHEQUE AS ABOVE AND THE PAYMENT COMES OFF MONTHLY ON THE 15TH OR 30TH FROM THEIR BANK ACCOUNT BASED ON THE PERIOD OF MONTHS TO PAY BACK THAT THEY CHOOSE. AGAIN THIS OFFER IS ONLY VALID FOR THE PRE-SALE PERIOD

2.  NAME TAGS - WHEN WEARING THE LEATHER JACKET WITH THE UNIFORM, RCAF PERSONNEL MUST ALWAYS WEAR A NAME TAG THAT ADHERES TO THE REGULATIONS STIPULATED IN THIS MESSAGE. THE RCAF CONTINUES TO WORK WITH CANEX TO FIND A SUITABLE CANADIAN MANUFACTURER, BUT AT THE PRESENT TIME, THERE IS NO CANADIAN MANUFACTURER WHO IS ABLE TO PRODUCE THE NAME TAGS IN CANADA. AS SUCH, THE ONLY AUTHORIZED MANUFACTURER OF THE LEATHER NAME TAGS TO BE WORN WITH THE RCAF LEATHER JACKET IS NAMETAGS4U.COM. PERSONNEL SHOULD ORDER THEIR LEATHER NAME TAGS DIRECTLY FROM THE COMPANY S WEBSITE LOCATED AT HTTPS://WWW.NAMETAGS4U.COM/FLIGHTSUIT-NAMETAGS/

3. THERE ARE 3 COMPONENTS TO THE NAME TAGS:

A. WINGS (REQUIRED FOR ALL TRADES ONCE THE MEMBER IS TRADE QUALIFIED)

B. LINE 1 (REQUIRED FOR ALL TRADES)

C. LINE 2 (OPTIONAL)

4. THE OPTIONAL PORTION OF THE NAME TAG SHOULD BE CONSIDERED FOR INCLUSION WHEN THE MEMBER HAS A SIGNIFICANT POSITION(IE. UNIT CO/CWOS), BUT IS NOT MANDATORY. IN THIS WAY, MEMBERS MAY KEEP THE SAME NAME TAG WHEN THEY ARE POSTED BETWEEN JOBS, UNTIL THEY ARE PROMOTED, AT WHICH TIME THEY OF COURSE REQUIRE A NEW ONE. WHEN MEMBERS ELECT TO INCLUDE THEIR POSITION ON THEIR NAME TAGS, THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO MAKE THE POSITION TITLES BILINGUAL. THE POSITIONS MAY BE SPELLED OUT IN FULL, OR MAY BE ABBREVIATED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MEMBER (I.E. CO 443 SQN WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE, AS WOULD WING LOGISTICS OFFICER)

5. NAME TAGS SHALL ALL BE ORDERED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

A. LEATHER COLOUR: BLACK

B. BACKGROUND: NONE

C. WING COLOUR:  SILVER

D. TEXT LAYOUT: CENTER

E. TEXT COLOR: SILVER

F. LINE 1: RANK FIRST NAME LAST NAME, ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS (THE RANK MAY BE ABBREVIATED OR MAY BE SPELLED OUT AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MEMBER)

G. LINE 2: POSITION, ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS

6. CURRENTLY, THE OFFICIAL RCAF WINGS FOR MOST TRADES CAN BE FOUND BY

FOLLOWING THESE STEPS:

A. https://www.nametags4u.com/

B. SCROLL TO THE VERY BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IN THE CENTRE SECTION, UNDER

THE TITLE LEATHER PRODUCTS IS THE HEADING CUSTOM NAMETAGS CLICK ON

THIS

C. IN THE CENTRE OF THE PAGE, UNDER THE TITLE SELECT A CATEGORY TO LIST THE WING BADGES, AND DESIGNS AVAILABLE FOR LEATHER TAGS IS THE HEADING CANADIAN LEATHER NAMETAGS CLICK ON THIS

D. FIND YOUR TRADE WING AND CLICK ON THE DESIGN ONLINE LINK BELOW THE CORRESPONDING WING

E. FOLLOW THE ONLINE PROMPTS TO CREATE YOUR NAMETAG

7. AT THIS TIME, MOST WINGS ARE AVAILABLE AT NAMETAGS4U.COM. THE AIR STAFF ARE WORKING WITH THE CIVILIAN OWNERS OF NAMETAGS4U.COM TO ENSURE THAT THEY CAN PROVIDE ALL THE RCAF TRADE WINGS THROUGH THEIR WEBSITE, PROGRESS IS GOING WELL BUT AT THE TIME OF PUBLICATION, IS NOT YET COMPLETE. IF YOUR TRADE WING DOES NOT APPEAR, INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS MAY CONTACT THE OPI TO REQUEST THEIR TRADE BE ADDED:

CAROLYNE.LEBLANC AT FORCES.GC.CA. THE DELAY IS 5-7 CALENDAR DAYS TO UPDATE THE WEBSITE

8. RANK EPAULETTES - THE DESIGN OF THESE CONTINUES TO PROGRESS AND WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ORDER FROM CANEX IN DUE COURSE.

9. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, INCLUDING VIEWING THE LEATHER FLIGHT JACKET, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL WING CANEX OUTLET.

LCOL J. MAJOR, D AIR RDNS AND PLANS
LGEN J.Y. BLONDIN, COMD RCAF,
UNCLAS

bLUE fOX said:

What are the CIC DEU trade wings?

Hopefully this shows up. Basically it is the current CIC Air cap badge (minus the crown) on a blue background under a crown.

The title says it all. Is this flight crew only or can members of purple trades such as log, nurse, doctor, etc wear it as well?

I was under the impression that it was flight crew only, thus the name of flight jacket, but a log officer in my office has and wears it so... I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Sent via smoke signals

I'm looking for a concise reply, not 7 pages of opinions on its appearance. Aka a "yes all airforce trades may wear it" or "no they may not."

It would have taken less time to answer than dig up a link. If you don't know please don't post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a list of all the authorized wings and half-wings allowed to be worn on the jacket as produced by the approved provider of the jackets name tags:

https://www.nametags4u.com/category/?cid=216

Awesome thanks, just what I was looking for.

bLUE fOX said:
Here is a list of all the authorized wings and half-wings allowed to be worn on the jacket as produced by the approved provider of the jackets name tags:

https://www.nametags4u.com/category/?cid=216

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your Log Officer wearing a flightsuit or 3B?  Not for wear with LWCC - so unless you are a Ottawa staff officer, when do you plan on wearing it?

Ditch said:
unless you are a Ottawa staff officer, when do you plan on wearing it?

Those guys exist, and they do wear these jackets. Last year I saw the senior intelligence officer in the RCAF wearing 3B and a leather jacket walking out of 101.

Good2Golf said:
. . .  For what it's worth, I saw an AERE BGen wearing his leather jacket this morning, and it had the single-wing AERE badge on the name tag...

Do air force uniform wearing general officers (those not formerly aircrew) wear trade/branch badges on their service dress jackets?  I was under the impression that generals were no longer part of their former MOSID, but were either GOL or GOS once they became GOFOs and thus don't wear the trade badges of their former occupations.

Blackadder1916 said:
Do air force uniform wearing general officers (those not formerly aircrew) wear trade/branch badges on their service dress jackets?  I was under the impression that generals were no longer part of their former MOSID, but were either GOL or GOS once they became GOFOs and thus don't wear the trade badges of their former occupations.

Interesting - I looked for an example and googled LGen Whitecross.  Older pics of her as a BGen/MGen with the gold ranks show the trade badge, while the ones with the new ranks don't (like her official picture).  So....no?

Blackadder1916 said:

Aren't AERE half wings qualification badges?  If that's the cass, you don't lose your qualifications because you become a General.

SupersonicMax said:
Aren't AERE half wings qualification badges?  If that's the cass, you don't lose your qualifications because you become a General.

Oh... the things I could say in response to that  >:D

daftandbarmy said:
Oh... the things I could say in response to that  >:D

Yes.....but those 'things' would have applied well before they 'achieved' that rank.  >:D

Back