• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Flight Suit (ALSE) - Split from VAdm Norman

Was it a flying suit, or crew suit? If a flying suit (assuming OG, since you didn’t say CADPAT) what was the hat badge? Spec wings? ‘Army’ (ie. Land element) Flight Surgeons wear flying suits. Other land element MOSIDs can wear flying suits if they are involved in duties as a flight crew member and the regular (enough) nature of their involvement includes FR clothing. I’ve seen it up to Maj (LCol flight surgeon) and there is a specific scale of issue used for ALSE issue to non-aircrew.

Was it a flying suit, or crew suit? If a flying suit (assuming OG, since you didn’t say CADPAT) what was the hat badge? Spec wings? ‘Army’ (ie. Land element) Flight Surgeons wear flying suits. Other land element MOSIDs can wear flying suits if they are involved in duties as a flight crew member and the regular (enough) nature of their involvement includes FR clothing. I’ve seen it up to Maj (LCol flight surgeon) and there is a specific scale of issue used for ALSE issue to non-aircrew.
Unfortunately, I didn't get that much detail. It was an OD flight suit, and the only other detail I remember is that he had three pips on his shoulder and was wearing a green beret.

Unfortunately, I didn't get that much detail. It was an OD flight suit, and the only other detail I remember is that he had three pips on his shoulder and was wearing a green beret.
Probably a flight surgeon.

May as well take a shot when they're not around! 😁
I heard stories of Acoustics falling asleep under their keyboard and rolling into their ICS Tx bar as they snored…so not just a story then? 😆

While prob a flight surgeon, Flight Nurses also wear flight suits.

Bit of info for anyone who isn't a RCAF Hanger user; some updates on the RCAF 2 piece flying clothing/flight suit front.

ATLAS (All Temperature Layer Aircrew System)

From an email that was socialized around my Wing:

This prototype came from a recent Comd Vector check submission of Flight Clothing modernization project. You can see more details on the actual Hangar App Ideas portal . Flight clothing modernization - Ideas – Hangar (rcafhangar.ca)

The comment from the originator of the idea was “The ATLAS will be as implied by its name a layered system. The preceding garments are the cold weather mid-layer and the warm weather base layer. It is designed so that dual layer is inherent in the construction of both the shirt and trousers using light weight material that is fire resistant. The system will also require base layer of the Airforce blue T shirt in garrison but may be layered down to single layer when weather conditions necessitate. It is designed to have the shirt untucked during flying operations to maximize cooling effect when desired by crewmembers. There is currently an SOCD in progress for the ACE outerwear and I recommend similar design changes to make the new outer shell garments compatible with both the ATLAS and new ALSE systems in phase 2. Some recommendations would be leveraging new material technology like fire resistant Goretex waterproof fabrics in the jacket and pants and providing multiple insulation levels for extreme cold weather. Development of ATLAS will enable all of our aircrew to perform their duties with decreased environmental, and anthropomorphic stress. It will also show a meaningful investment in the wellbeing of our female crewmembers giving them a garment that will be functional for all. ATLAS will be a great showpiece of embracing aircrew identity within the RCAF while functionally focusing on uniformity, and will be a great highlight to the upcoming 100th anniversary of the RCAF.”ATLAS.png

For Hangar app users who might not be tracking this one yet: Hangar

There were some updates to the aircrew SOI (319), I've only tracked the changes in 319AB (Basic Issue) and AM (LRP). The latest copy that's comes down thru the ALSEO net was Jul 2022...that update included "the 2 piece CAG flying suit is being phased and will be issued until zero stock".

Having said that, I was able to get a brand new shirt out of Wing Clothing yesterday morning; hopefully the period between "zero stock" and "initial issue" of the new 2 piece will be nil (preferred) or minimal.

Having said that, I was able to get a brand new shirt out of Wing Clothing yesterday morning; hopefully the period between "zero stock" and "initial issue" of the new 2 piece will be nil (preferred) or minimal.
What's the over-under on that actually happening? :sneaky:

What's the over-under on that actually happening? :sneaky:

Something like this...

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Back