• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Col Jeremey Hansen to orbit the moon in 2024

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian Space Agency has announced that Col Jeremy Hansen will be a crew member on Artemis II, NASA’s next moon shot in 2024. This will be a ‘fly by and orbit’ mission in preparation for the subsequent crewed landing of Artemis III in 225.

Col Hansen is a still serving RCAF pilot (CF-18) who has been with the CSA since 2009.

With all the ugly crap going on in this world, I find it inspiring and super cool that we’re still working to reach out and explore beyond our planet. It’s great to see a Canadian and CAF member be a part of it.

It's cool to see we're going back to the moon but I wonder why they're just doing a fly by. We landed on the moon 54 years ago. Technology has obviously come a far way since then, our cell phones are more powerful than the guidance computers back then. I figured landing now should be a an easy feat, relatively speaking.

It's cool to see we're going back to the moon but I wonder why they're just doing a fly by. We landed on the moon 54 years ago. Technology has obviously come a far way since then, our cell phones are more powerful than the guidance computers back then. I figured landing now should be a an easy feat, relatively speaking.

Proving the kit and the flight profile I guess? Artemis I was a crewed flyby, this is a crewed flyby, and the third will be a crewed landing. Hitting the surface and coming back in three missions isn’t shabby.

If we look back at the technology that was available when Armstrong landed this program should be successful. Computing power and rocket technology have advanced so much.

Congratulations Colonel! When he is scooting around the moon, can we ask for a loc stat?

What you have to remember about the "technology doesn't exist" argument is that everything for the moon landing was built from the ground up, and purpose built at that. The technology doesn't exist, because the need for which it was created does not exist. Can we repurpose existing technologies? Absolutely, but that will take time and testing, hence the staged approach.

By the fourth mission they intend to have a lunar orbit space station in place that they’ll descend from and ascend back to. Spacecraft will dock with that station and then transfer to a dedicated lander. That makes sense; they could probably send fuel ahead of time by remote rocket, which saves future crewed missions the weight cost of a lander and its fuel.

What an amazing career goal. And leaving his mark on history.

Also saves weight / cost of life support systems; humans get fussy about excessive G forces and requirements for food, water and oxygen.

Wow, he looks older than when I first met him entering the program…still another year to go…that makes 15 years from start to launch… kudos for being so committed to a personal goal!

Per Ardua Ad Astra Luna!

Back