• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rank?

Smirnoff123

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

If you pass selection and get into one of the units, do you retain your rank or does it drop like if you did an OT?

C.G.R

TN said:
Only if you shower...

Why even bother posting, aside from wanting to bust out a weak joke?

Anyways, C.G.R.
The guys I know who went CSOR and passed the Operator course retained their rank.  I can't say about the other units, but I would assume it would be the same.  Maybe not for CJIRU as that is an actual OT.  Contact the unit you are interested in, and you can get an answer from their recruiting cell.

If you are going in as a supporter, you would retain your rank as well.

Also, passing selection just means you can go on to the SFC course for CSOR or SOAC for JTF2, etc

Buddies of mine who went CSOR all retained their ranks.  Couple guys I know who became JTF assaulters were promoted immediately to Mcpl upon getting to the unit.

We had a WO get picked up by one of them he was dropped down to MCpl. 

That might happen as a PRes, the position he was competing for might have only been a MCpls class C posn.

Tango18A said:
That might happen as a PRes, the position he was competing for might have only been a MCpls class C posn.

Not it wasn't a Class C position, he was CT'ed into his position.

A CT can often include a rank change, based on qualifications and requirements (i.e. the only position offered is at a lower rank, so either accept the reduction or pass on the offer).

Pusser said:
A CT can often include a rank change, based on qualifications and requirements (i.e. the only position offered is at a lower rank, so either accept the reduction or pass on the offer).

Aware of that already, thanks tips.  The OP asked if getting picked up to CANSOF means a reduction in rank.  He didn't indicate whether this was reg or res.  I was relaying instance where a rank reduction occured.

Hatchet Man said:
We had a WO get picked up by one of them he was dropped down to MCpl.

On completion of SOAC, all assualters are MCpl, regardless of thier NCM rank previously. If of a higher NCM rank, they do keep thier previous pay scale.

Rider Pride said:
On completion of SOAC, all assualters are MCpl, regardless of thier NCM rank previously. If of a higher NCM rank, they do keep thier previous pay scale.

He went to CSOR

CFAO 49-5 states that he can relinquish his rank, and probably had to do so if there were no positions available for a WO if he wanted to be there.

PuckChaser said:
CFAO 49-5 states that he can relinquish his rank, and probably had to do so if there were no positions available for a WO if he wanted to be there.

He dropped because his CT offer was for MCpl. Regardless of the reason, he had to drop rank, ergo individual experiences will vary. 

Gotcha. Must have glazed over the CT part, it is 0530 here after all!

Back