• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ramp Ceremonies

a78jumper

Inactive
Reaction score
The recent ceremonies at Trenton have been very moving, but I do have a question regarding the officers' remain which have returned home. I noticed all the pall bearers as far as I could see were Sr NCO's. Are pall bearers not nornally one's peers and friends; the one military funeral I attended we certainly acted as such for a deceased fellow officer. And the ceremonies for deceased non commissioned members seemed to reflect their rank in terms of pall bearers. Or in this case were no officers available from his/her Regiment to carry out this task? Perhaps the Kandahar ceremonies are different. I can not recall what happened in Kabul.  Any one in the know, how are the pall bearers chosen for the ramp ceremonies; I know if it was a fellow officer and friend in that casket I would want to pay the deceased a final honour and act of  friendship, but maybe military tradition dictates otherwise?

Table 11-2-2 of the CFP-201 shows:

Sgt and below = 8 Sgts or below bearers, commanded by a Sgt:
WO to CWO = 8 Cpls to Sgt bearers, commanded by a Sgt:
OCdt to Capt = 8 Cpls to Sgt bearers, commanded by a Sgt;
Maj to Col  = 8 WO bearers, commanded by a CWO; and

When CWOs, MWOs or WOs are not available, the next lower rank shall be used.

Thanks, guess we ignored the Table at the funeral I attended and went with what felt right(which also was what the widow wanted),or perhaps that applies directly to ramp ceremonies only?

Things can be changed. The direct wishes of the family supercede whatever is in the manual. Hence the reason for the Assisting Officer.

Back