• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick Random Question

MedTechStudent

Inactive
Reaction score
I've looked in Google and such, but found nothing consistent or credible.

Does anyone here know without a doubt, the true reason why the US Military wears their Flags backwards on the uniform?

Its just been bugging me.  ???

Try looking up the subject in "Heraldry".  You'll likely find that it has to do with keeping your "Face to the enemy" / "not running away".  When 2 CMBG was designing its Bde Patch the Bear was facing forward.  After the design had been approved, a change in Dress Regs came out, moving the Patch to the other arm.  The CF, after spending all the money on the design process, (one of the prototypes did have the bear going the opposite way.) went on the cheap and accepted the patches as manufactured.  Slightly off track, but getting back on track, the flag would follow the same idea.  The wind would be blowing it from front to rear, so if the flag is on the right arm, it will appear backwards.

Make sense?

Old Glory's stars must always be in the left hand corner when hung vertically, so in their House of Representatives, you will see the flag 'backwards' on the wall, with the stars on the left hand.

With the right hand side of the flag patch, worn on the left arm, the flag must have the stars at the right, as if you hung it, they would be in the upper left corner.

Make sense?

Hence it looks backwards, but it is infact correct.

this reminds me of another interesting situation, American naval captains still wear their insignia in different directions depending on peace or war, the eagle faces outwards toward the enemy in times of war, although there is regulations that's suppose to stop this practice, naval tradition means a lot

Back